Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feature request: Child left behind reminder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i was watching the news today and there was yet again another case of a baby being left in a hot car. Luckily this time someone saw the baby and he was saved. As a busy parent, I do understand how one parent could really forget his/her sleeping baby is in the back seat.

This might have been discussed before but I think Tesla could easily add a reminder if the car senses weight in the back seat or loud noise inside the cabin after the car is parked and the driver walked away.

i was watching the news today and there was yet again another case of a baby being left in a hot car. Luckily this time someone saw the baby and he was saved. As a busy parent, I do understand how one parent could really forget his/her sleeping baby is in the back seat.

This might have been discussed before but I think Tesla could easily add a reminder if the car senses weight in the back seat or loud noise inside the cabin after the car is parked and the driver walked away.

I believe the Hyundai palisade has a feature like this.

I’m surprised dog mode made it before this. Even with cabin overheat protection, the cabin would still be hot at 105F. If a child was really forgotten, you still don’t want to leave him or her strapped in the car seat for hours even it’s not terribly hot.
Was reading the article after the news. It seems like the mother deliberately left the baby in the car while she went grocery shopping. It was in the upper 80s today. I guess no software can fix bad parenting.

Imagine if an inattentive parent left a child in the car and this hypothetical feature failed to alert. Tesla would be crucified in the media and would lose a very nasty wrongful death suit. Some car companies may be willing to risk having this feature but I think it’s wise that Tesla doesn’t. Not right now.

You shouldn’t be a parent if you leave a child or forget a child in a vehicle regardless if they are sleeping or how busy you are. You need a license for a pet but anyone can be a parent to a child...their should be a law that you have to have a certain IQ to be a parent or have children.

I can see it happening to any human. Doesn’t mean you’re evil. You might have a very regular routine and suddenly your routine is different. Like swapping cars and responsibilities for a day. But your still on your autopilot routine.

You’ve never come back to a house and notice you left the door open or something. You don’t plan on it. Many of us lead distracted lives, it’s just the way our society is. Packing to many things in.

When I was a kid my dad dropped all the kids off at a park, 6 of us. He worked hard and washed windows after his full time job in the evenings. He did the job (near the park) and went home and forgot us. It was not part of his routine to bring the kids to the park, it was a special treat. We all marched to the police station as it was getting dark. When the police car drove us home we saw my dad whiz by headed to the park. He’d probably be arrested today and lose his kids.

That said, I get concerned of people depending on the tech as part of their routine. Kind of like how I can’t get anywhere with out GPS now.

Last edited:
This is not a new problem and I wonder how many times a year this really happens but we don't get informed till a child dies in the summer heat. For this exact reason is why I keep a spring loaded pin punch in the car tied to a long piece of orange tape for quick access in an emergency and I will not hesitate to pop a window if I see a child locked inside without a parent and then I make the 911 call in that order, when the police arrive go ahead and file charges against the driver.

I have been involved as a guinea pig in extreme heat trials, testing various cooling garments to keep the core temp cooler for a limited time, I know first hand what walking on a treadmill at 140 degrees feels like and the inside of a car can soar beyond that in a few minutes.

Here is a link on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S872MFX/ref=sspa_dk_hqp_detail_aax_0?psc=1

I was taught years ago in EMT training to use it in the lower corner of the window, away from the occupant, you would be surprised how hard it really is trying to pop a window with a carpenter's hammer but the focused power of the pin punch down in the corner where the glass can't flex works instantly.

You shouldn’t be a parent if you leave a child or forget a child in a vehicle regardless if they are sleeping or how busy you are. You need a license for a pet but anyone can be a parent to a child...their should be a law that you have to have a certain IQ to be a parent or have children.
I actually go further.
Everyone should be neutered. Once you pass an incredibly rigorous battery of psychological tests, your breeding rights/capabilities get ‘unlocked’

• Funny
Reactions: Doctor X and Dan84
I actually go further.
Everyone should be neutered. Once you pass an incredibly rigorous battery of psychological tests, your breeding rights/capabilities get ‘unlocked’

Yeah, and if any "undesirables" are born they could be sent to these camps, to keep them from being a drag on the healthy members of society, and we could have free places for the youth to go to learn to be good citizens, administered by a bureaucracy specially created to promote good citizenship...o_O