Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feature Request: Set Dog Mode from phone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can turn off Dog Mode through my iPhone, but why can't I turn it on?

We do training with our dogs, where they have to remain in the car at first. (at that moment we are within 20m)
When I forget to turn on Dog Mode, I have to go back to the car to turn it on, or the alarm will sound. Having Dog Mode on instead of just turning off the alarm, is a good thing; but it would be so much easier if I could do it from my phone.

Probably because just in case something doesn’t take but the phone reports it did - and your dog dies... that would be a problem. No way I’d trust it having worked without having eyes on, especially with how flaky cell connections can be.

Dog mode or any other app-controlled change, I would sure hope the app never reports a change sent to the car until the car acknowledges the request back to the server and the app hears from the server change has happened.

For example: I use Lutron Caseta light switches throughout my house. They integrate into HomeKit perfectly, and I use voice commands etc via Siri to turn lights on and off. Very occasionally, though, either via the app or via Siri I’ll turn on or off a light. The app/Siri will confirm the light was turned on/off, but it never actually happened. It’s rare, but it’s happened enough times to make me REALLY uncomfortable when this sort of thing involves my pupper’s life.

Reactions: APotatoGod
For example: I use Lutron Caseta light switches throughout my house. They integrate into HomeKit perfectly, and I use voice commands etc via Siri to turn lights on and off. Very occasionally, though, either via the app or via Siri I’ll turn on or off a light. The app/Siri will confirm the light was turned on/off, but it never actually happened. It’s rare, but it’s happened enough times to make me REALLY uncomfortable when this sort of thing involves my pupper’s life.

What you describe is, to me, a software bug and one that could be avoided. Given what I know about homekit, it sounds like a
Lutron accessory issue

What you describe is, to me, a software bug and one that could be avoided. Given what I know about homekit, it sounds like a
Lutron accessory issue

Absolutely it’s a bug. But it’s so rare and so uncommon that it’s probably very hard to pin down, especially as a lowly end user. In any case, this is what I’d be afraid of with Dog Mode.

That said, being able to check on the interior temperature remotely would mitigate this to a large degree, but then you’re relying on people (who are easily distracted) to check their phones to check on their pets.

Tesla’s current mantra with everything car related is that we as the user monitor it. AP? We monitor it. FSD? We monitor it. This more remote monitoring just doesn’t sit well with me quite yet.