Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Feature Requests] Things I think tesla should improve

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What should Tesla improve?

Wholesale Tariff Mode for Tesla Powerwall

Objective:

The primary objective of the Wholesale Tariff Mode for Tesla Powerwall is to enable users to optimize their energy consumption and storage based on real-time wholesale electricity prices. This new mode aims to provide Powerwall owners with increased cost savings, enhanced energy independence, and support for grid stability during periods of high or low demand.

Description of the Wholesale Tariff Mode:

The Wholesale Tariff Mode will use real-time wholesale electricity price data to make informed decisions on charging and discharging the Powerwall. By leveraging this data, the mode will optimize energy management to minimize costs for the homeowner and support the electricity grid during periods of high demand or excess generation.

Key features of the Wholesale Tariff Mode:

1. Real-time wholesale price data integration: The mode will incorporate real-time wholesale electricity price data from the user's electricity market or grid operator. This data will be used to determine the most cost-effective times to charge or discharge the Powerwall.

2. Automated charging and discharging: Based on the real-time wholesale price data, the Wholesale Tariff Mode will automatically charge the Powerwall when prices are low and discharge it when prices are high. This feature will help users save on their electricity bills by consuming energy during off-peak periods and supplying energy during peak periods.

3. Customizable price thresholds: Users can set their preferred price thresholds for charging and discharging the Powerwall, providing greater control over their energy management and cost savings.

4. Demand response capabilities: The Wholesale Tariff Mode can be designed to respond to grid signals and participate in demand response programs. By discharging stored energy during periods of high demand, the Powerwall can help alleviate stress on the grid and potentially generate additional revenue for homeowners through demand response incentives.

5. User-friendly interface: A simple, intuitive user interface will allow Powerwall owners to monitor wholesale price data, set price thresholds, and review the performance of the Wholesale Tariff Mode.

6. Compatibility with existing Powerwall features: The Wholesale Tariff Mode will be compatible with existing Powerwall features, such as solar self-consumption, backup power, and Time-Based Control, ensuring a seamless integration with the user's current energy management settings.

By implementing the Wholesale Tariff Mode, Powerwall users can benefit from the dynamic nature of wholesale electricity prices, optimize their energy consumption, and contribute to a more stable and efficient electricity grid.
screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2023.05.12-11_20_35.png

Thanks @jjrandorin, yes I'm also trying to start a discussion here as a few folk maybe interested in the topic.

Tesla already offers point 3 and 4, but they do not offer any real time links to wholesale power pricing, and at least in the US I doubt they ever will as wholesale power pricing has zero to do with what a residential customer is being charged for that period of time.

Reactions: BGbreeder
Worldwide some energy retailers provide households access to wholesale prices, which constantly change with the market; Amber Electric in Australia, Nordpool in EU and Octopus in UK, so this feature request could be useful and I would be surprised if some US retailers aren't considering this as a point of differentiation.

At present I cannot achieve point 3, charge when the price drops below a real-time threshold or export when the price exceeds a threshold (I'm doing with Home Assistant control)

I also cannot set demand response modes, although the Tesla VPP API does seem to allow this control, but access to that API is extremely limited.

In the United States, some electricity retailers such as Griddy and Arcadia offer wholesale electricity plans. These plans typically involve a subscription fee or a small fixed charge, plus a variable charge that reflects the real-time wholesale electricity price in the local electricity market.

In the United States, some electricity retailers such as Griddy and Arcadia offer wholesale electricity plans. These plans typically involve a subscription fee or a small fixed charge, plus a variable charge that reflects the real-time wholesale electricity price in the local electricity market.
I dont think putting forth a bankrupt company that sold power in one state is in any way, shape or forum any indication that the average retail power customer in the US can buy power at wholesale pricing (because they cant).

The Texas Attorney General filed suit on March 1, charging Griddy with false and misleading practices.[19] The company filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy (debt restructuring) on March 15, 2021.[20][21]

Reactions: jhn_ and BGbreeder
I dont think putting forth a bankrupt company that sold power in one state is in any way, shape or forum any indication that the average retail power customer in the US can buy power at wholesale pricing (because they cant).

The Texas Attorney General filed suit on March 1, charging Griddy with false and misleading practices.[19] The company filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy (debt restructuring) on March 15, 2021.[20][21]
Agree, sounds like Griddy is a poor example.

Look like Autobidder is the relevant Tesla technology for a wholesale tariff mode.

"Autobidder operates at every scale: from aggregations of behind-the-meter residential systems"

I would be very interested to hear about any residential systems (using Powerwall?)

Last edited by a moderator:

The primary objective of this proposal is to create a seamless integration between Tesla Powerwall and energy-efficient home electrification technology, aiming to provide homeowners with a comprehensive energy management solution that maximizes cost savings, reduces carbon emissions, and improves overall energy efficiency.

Description of the Integration:

This integration will connect Tesla Powerwall with various energy-efficient home electrification technologies, such as smart thermostats, heat pumps, pool pumps, hot water systems, electric vehicle (EV) chargers, and solar panels. By doing so, homeowners can have a fully connected, automated energy management system that optimizes energy consumption, storage, and generation.

Key Features of the Integration:

1. Smart energy management: The integration will allow Tesla Powerwall to communicate with energy-efficient home electrification devices, enabling intelligent and automated energy management that balances energy consumption, storage, and generation based on the homeowner's preferences and real-time grid conditions.

2. Demand response participation: Homeowners can participate in demand response programs, where the integrated system can automatically adjust energy consumption during periods of high demand, helping to stabilize the grid and potentially generating additional revenue through demand response incentives.

3. Time-of-use optimization: The integrated system will be able to optimize energy consumption and generation based on time-of-use (TOU) rates, enabling homeowners to save money by using energy during off-peak periods when electricity prices are lower.

4. Solar energy optimization: For homes equipped with solar panels, the integration will ensure that solar energy generation is maximized and excess energy is either stored in the Powerwall or exported to the grid, depending on the homeowner's preferences and grid conditions.

5. User-friendly interface: A unified, intuitive user interface will allow homeowners to monitor and control all aspects of their energy management system, including Powerwall settings, solar energy generation, and energy-efficient home electrification devices.

6. Remote monitoring and control: Homeowners will be able to monitor and control their integrated energy management system remotely through a mobile app or web-based platform, allowing them to make adjustments and optimize their energy use on-the-go.

By integrating Tesla Powerwall with energy-efficient home electrification technology, homeowners can benefit from a comprehensive, automated energy management system that maximizes cost savings, improves energy efficiency, and reduces environmental impact.

My objective with this proposal is to suggest improvements to Tesla's API documentation for Energy Products, including Powerwall. The API is officially unsupported by Tesla, and the current documentation is lacking in detail, making it challenging for developers to implement the API effectively. By adopting best practices and providing comprehensive and up-to-date documentation, Tesla could greatly improve the usability and effectiveness of the API.

Description:
Tesla's API for Energy Products offers a powerful platform for developers to create new applications and services that interface with Tesla's energy products. However, the current documentation for the API is lacking in detail, which can make it difficult for developers to use the API effectively.

To address this issue, I propose that Tesla adopt best practices for API documentation, including providing comprehensive and up-to-date documentation that includes clear descriptions of endpoints, request/response formats, error handling, and any authentication requirements. This documentation should be easily accessible and user-friendly, with a clear organization that makes it easy to find the information developers need.

By providing this level of documentation, developers can better understand how to use the API effectively and create innovative applications and services that leverage Tesla's energy products. Additionally, it can reduce the amount of time and resources spent on troubleshooting and debugging issues that arise from unclear or incomplete documentation.

I strongly urge Tesla to consider adopting these suggestions and providing comprehensive and up-to-date documentation for its API for Energy Products. By doing so, Tesla can improve the user experience for developers, foster a strong developer community, and unlock new opportunities for innovation and collaboration.

TLDR.

Twitter and Tesla are run by the same group of people who reply to serious questions with 💩

They need to work on and improve core principles like professionalism, courteous customer service, accessible tech support, timely response times, and transparency.

Because for the most common and basic customer and their most common and basic needs, the PW and GW sell themselves.

...as wholesale power pricing has zero to do with what a residential customer is being charged for that period of time.
I beg to differ. National Grid in NY charges VTOU (SC1V) customers based on the daily wholesale cost in 3 rate periods, and they publish these daily rates based on the different Load Zones around the State. They also segregate solar power exported during each rate period, so if you export power, say, in their "Super Peak" rate period, that credit can't be used to offset power imported during the "Off Peak" rate period. This only applies to SC1V customers, not to their SC1 customers who do net metering.
As if that's not bad enough, credit exported during the "Super Peak" rate period, which is from Jun-Sep, become stranded and unusable after Sep until the next "Super Peak" rate period (Jun), or if you annually settle up those credits are computed on your anniversary using the "On Peak" wholesale rate the day of your anniversary, which is always lower than the rates that were in effect during the time of export ("Super Peak", Jun-Sep). I had 686 "Super Peak" kWh effectively stranded from Sep to Mar, when NG computer my payout at the Mar "On Peak" wholesale rate the day of my Anniversary.

Reactions: Mark Purcell
I beg to differ. National Grid in NY charges VTOU (SC1V) customers based on the daily wholesale cost in 3 rate periods, and they publish these daily rates based on the different Load Zones around the State. They also segregate solar power exported during each rate period, so if you export power, say, in their "Super Peak" rate period, that credit can't be used to offset power imported during the "Off Peak" rate period. This only applies to SC1V customers, not to their SC1 customers who do net metering.
As if that's not bad enough, credit exported during the "Super Peak" rate period, which is from Jun-Sep, become stranded and unusable after Sep until the next "Super Peak" rate period (Jun), or if you annually settle up those credits are computed on your anniversary using the "On Peak" wholesale rate the day of your anniversary, which is always lower than the rates that were in effect during the time of export ("Super Peak", Jun-Sep). I had 686 "Super Peak" kWh effectively stranded from Sep to Mar, when NG computer my payout at the Mar "On Peak" wholesale rate the day of my Anniversary.

I would say that "based on" the wholesale rate does not mean that you are paying anything close to what the actual wholesale rate is at the time the power is generated / used. Your description above is of time of use rates, and while the utility may say "these are based on wholesale rates" if you actually looked at wholesale rates for those times they are billing you likely find them to be VERY different.

Gas / Petrol pricing is supposed to be "based on" the cost of a barrel of oil, too, but in actual practice, the only thing that matters to a person about the price of a barrel of oil going up, is that it going up means the price of gas is going up.

By implementing the Wholesale Tariff Mode, Powerwall users can benefit from the dynamic nature of wholesale electricity prices, optimize their energy consumption, and contribute to a more stable and efficient electricity grid.
There are some work arounds which can get close:

Manually updating, the Time-Based Control Utility Rate Plan is always possible in the app, the biggest downside for me is my electricity prices change every five minutes, so that would require constant updates and relies on the TBC hack to get the battery importing and exporting at specific times. It is possible to update the prices via the unofficial API, but that requires quite complex automation.

Screenshot_20230513-101848.png

A simpler automation approach I am currently using, relies on a linear programming solution to calculate the optimal schedule for the next 24 hours, based on forecasts for household consumption, buy/ sell prices and solar production. This optimisation approach is updated every 5 minutes and determines the current actions for my battery as well as future forecasts. You can see below the battery SOC is driven by the price to determine optimal charge/ discharge windows. I then use the limited features from the unofficial API to set desired SOC and/or modes.

Screenshot 2023-05-13 10.30.05.png

Reactions: aesculus
By integrating Tesla Powerwall with energy-efficient home electrification technology, homeowners can benefit from a comprehensive, automated energy management system that maximizes cost savings, improves energy efficiency, and reduces environmental impact.
The Tesla Master Plan 3 talks about the benefits of heat pumps and other home electrification technology as being key in the transition to sustainable energy.
Through the coordination (orchestration) of various household loads these benefits are further accelerated.

Through my home automation I coordinate not only my battery switching but also other key heavy energy users in my household; EV charging, Heatpump space heating/ cooling (HVAC) , Hot water heat pumps for domestic and pool. Tesla Powerwall/ Home Energy Gateway could perform a similar role in coordination across the household>

My home energy optimised plan for the next 24 hours, shows devices switching on when energy is abundant and cheap (during the midday solar soak) and then switching down as renewables energy decreases and the price goes up (evening peak), including exporting from my battery to the grid displacing costly coal and gas fired power generation.

Screenshot 2023-05-13 10.58.33.png

I would say that "based on" the wholesale rate does not mean that you are paying anything close to what the actual wholesale rate is at the time the power is generated / used.
I didn't say that I was paying the actual wholesale price, because like you, I know that it's based on mWh's, not kWh's. However, YOU stated that "wholesale power pricing has zero to do with what a residential customer is being charged for that period of time." Which is untrue for those of us on VTOU, since we are still considered residential customers. (National Grid shows us as SC1V - Residential Voluntary Time of Use.) My cost varies each day as a function of NG's actual wholesale acquisition cost.

I think the gateway/optional panel board should be redesigned to accept 10 powerwalls and and 24Kw solar, 400 amp bus bar and 10x breakers.
Perhaps two panel board options.

And better customer service. They love to say your wrong without anything to back up their claim, “your calculation is wrong”! Well then correct my calculation.

Reactions: jgleigh