Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Federal tax credit EVSE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if the EVSE tax credit can be had if one uses a non-licensed electrician to install?

Thanks in advance!

Getting tax advice online like this is absolutely 100% a "ymmv" thing, because nothing anyone says here will help you if you get audited. You can claim whatever you want to on your taxes, but if you get audited, you generally need to show receipts of installation. If the person you use gives you receipts you could present if asked, then maybe you would be ok?

Rather than that, I still am confused why people normalize electricity so much. EV charging is normally the highest continuous load you can put in your home. If installed incorrectly, it can start a fire. If you have damage from an incorrectly installed outlet / wall connector that is not permitted, you run the risk of your home owners insurance not covering any damage.

BTW, there is no such thing (in my opinion) as an "unlicensed electrician". There are electricians, who are licensed, and "people who know how to do electrical stuff, but are not electricians".

I had a NEMA 14-50 installed a month ago which I'm planning on getting the tax credit for. I'm currently using the mobile charger, if I purchase a 2nd mobile charger so I can keep one in the trunk can I count that as part of the tax credit since it's also charging equipment?

I had a NEMA 14-50 installed a month ago which I'm planning on getting the tax credit for. I'm currently using the mobile charger, if I purchase a 2nd mobile charger so I can keep one in the trunk can I count that as part of the tax credit since it's also charging equipment?
This is directly from the IRS website:

Qualified alternative fuel vehicle refueling property is any property (other than a building or its structural components) used for either of the following:
  • To store or dispense an alternative fuel (defined below) other than electricity into the fuel tank of a motor vehicle propelled by the fuel, but only if the storage or dispensing is at the point where the fuel is delivered into that tank.
  • To recharge an electric vehicle, but only if the recharging property is located at the point where the vehicle is recharged.
In addition, the following requirements must be met to qualify for the credit.
  • You placed the refueling property in service during your tax year.
  • The original use of the property began with you.
  • The property isn’t used predominantly outside the United States.
  • If the property isn’t business/investment use property, the property must be installed on property used as your main home.
It sounds like to me that counts IMO but I'm not a tax expert. The 2nd mobile connector stays at your house and has a 14-50 adapter. The one that came with your car stays in the trunk.

Yeah, it's never an issue, until it is. Then if you get audited and have to pay the money back plus a $5000 fine, you'll wish you never listened to this advice.
Good advice is not to listen to anyone that says there will be a $5000 fine during audit for an incorrectly documented tax credit claim. Clearly advice from someone who has not actually traversed an audit ;-)