Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feedback from BMW or other premium brand converts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New here. Decided to join as I’m currently considering a model 3. I had an e class that I recently got rid of for a new navigator. My wife has a an Audi Q5 which we really don’t need anymore since the navigator meets our suv needs. I’m not a luxury snob but both of our German cars have held up pretty well both inside and out. The interiors look new even after 120,000 + miles. The maintenance however is way too much at this point and I don’t really care to pour money into something that might not even retain much value after the repairs.

My main concern with the Tesla is how it will look after a few years of use. Does the paint job look bad? Seats rip or panel pieces crack?

New here. Decided to join as I’m currently considering a model 3. I had an e class that I recently got rid of for a new navigator. My wife has a an Audi Q5 which we really don’t need anymore since the navigator meets our suv needs. I’m not a luxury snob but both of our German cars have held up pretty well both inside and out. The interiors look new even after 120,000 + miles. The maintenance however is way too much at this point and I don’t really care to pour money into something that might not even retain much value after the repairs.

My main concern with the Tesla is how it will look after a few years of use. Does the paint job look bad? Seats rip or panel pieces crack?

You may get better responses in the S forum as they’d have owned a Tesla for much longer than the 3.

Some of these comments simply are the result of old thinking.

One problem with BMW performance versions is that they have a very stock high center of gravity because of the high mounting of their engines and turbo chargers. For track performance they must lower them several inches to keep them from flopping around in the corners. Downside is that the more you lower them to do well on the track the less well they do for normal street driving.

All Tesla have inherently lower centers of gravity due to the location of their traction batteries. A stock Tesla will have a lower center of gravity than even a lowered BMW.

The smoothness or an inline 6 BMW is world class, compared to other ICE, but compared to electric drive it is a rattle trap. Stand next to an idling modern BMW and you will hear all sorts of things going on. The high pressure fuel injection rattles away, the cooling fans switch on an off, the turbos whisle and the PTO belts whirr. Stand next to a Tesla and the difference is dramatic.

BMW has world class throttle response...for an ICE. When you ask for torque, things go all over the place. First the transmission needs to drop several gears. Then the power goes up and down with the revs. Each shift brings another circuit of RPM sensitive horsepower. Rising to peak just before the shift and then dropping back down again. This is also accompanied by turbo boost going up and down as the revs change. Sometimes a throttle drop/ transmission downshifting will throw the rear end all over the place, especially when coming out of a corner. You need to be fast on the steering to adjust for the difference in power coming out the rear wheels in constant variation.

In the Tesla, the torque starts at zero RPM and provides constant thrust out of the corners. The suspension can put all that power to the ground and exit speeds are far easier to finesse.

The throttle control of a Tesla is exquisite, compared to the herky jerky you get with an ICE. One speed does it all and no loss of torque between shifting points like with a BMW multi speed transmission. On the street the instant torque and exquisite throttle control makes manouvering through traffic a joy. Much easier to move an EV through congestion than any gasser.

ICE still has several advantages over current EVs. Their top speeds are higher, their full tank range is longer and they provide exciting sounding noises that can be thrilling to the driver. For this, many will still prefer the gassers. Some EVs have even inserted phony motor noises to appeal to those drivers. BMW has also stooped to pretend motor noises coming from the speaker systems, but still many will still want that auditory excitement.

Both BMW and EV are moving to more and more computer control, and thus are reducing the direct connection between driver and machine, in order to achieve a higher level of ultimate performance.

BMW dealerships are complaining that they are loosing more than their fair share of business to Tesla. Especially with their very popular 3 series.

As EV prices continue to fall, and restrictions against gassers appear in congested Urban areas, more and more EVs will take to the roads. Inevidible that a certain % of those will be designed to give additional performance for track capability.

I can still see your Order Number, you know...

Where was it visible? Deleted the screenshot, thanks for the heads up.

Here's what I ordered, can't wait!

Long Range All-Wheel Drive Performance
Pearl White Paint
Performance Upgrade
20’’ Performance Wheels
Performance Brakes
Carbon Fiber Spoiler
Performance Pedals
Black and White Premium Interior
Autopilot
Full Self-Driving Capability

Where was it visible? Deleted the screenshot, thanks for the heads up.

Here's what I ordered, can't wait!

Long Range All-Wheel Drive Performance
Pearl White Paint
Performance Upgrade
20’’ Performance Wheels
Performance Brakes
Carbon Fiber Spoiler
Performance Pedals
Black and White Premium Interior
Autopilot
Full Self-Driving Capability

Congrats and pre welcome to the brand, from "another BMW convert" :)

One thing that is VERY apparent from even this thread, is that there are PLENTY of people in teslas that came from the specific german brands (BMW / Merc / Audi - VW - Porsche (all same parent company)). Most of us like the tesla for what it is, while understanding what it actually isnt (both important).

Welcome abord again!

• Love
Reactions: destructure00
The smoothness or an inline 6 BMW is world class, compared to other ICE, but compared to electric drive it is a rattle trap. Stand next to an idling modern BMW and you will hear all sorts of things going on. The high pressure fuel injection rattles away, the cooling fans switch on an off, the turbos whisle and the PTO belts whirr. Stand next to a Tesla and the difference is dramatic.

I just got in my wife's Mercedes GLE43 to see if we could switch sides on the garage to make HPWC install easier, and even after just 23 hours in possession of the Turo rental I was surprised at the noise and vibration from her SUV. What's happening to me? I used to be a gearhead... :confused:

BMW has also stooped to pretend motor noises coming from the speaker systems, but still many will still want that auditory excitement.

Yep, mine has this. They didn't do a great job, it still sounds very synthetic. I'm surprised an EV maker would add that. Part of the "luxury" feeling of the 3 is how quiet it is IMO.

Welcome abord again!

:D Thanks

I still got my bimmers but none of them get driven outside the occasional track day.

Welcome to the club!

Thanks! I'll be tracking the Model 3 sooner or later. Excited to see how it compares to my 340.

Thanks! I'll be tracking the Model 3 sooner or later. Excited to see how it compares to my 340.

I've tracked my 3 quite a few times and you're going to love it. It's very different being so quiet, but it's almost a peaceful zen experience where it's just you and the sound of your tires tearing up the track.

I just got in my wife's Mercedes GLE43 to see if we could switch sides on the garage to make HPWC install easier, and even after just 23 hours in possession of the Turo rental I was surprised at the noise and vibration from her SUV. What's happening to me? I used to be a gearhead... :confused:

I always describe Model 3 like a magic carpet ride to people. It's crazy how smooth yet powerful it is!

I've tracked my 3 quite a few times and you're going to love it. It's very different being so quiet, but it's almost a peaceful zen experience where it's just you and the sound of your tires tearing up the track.

Might have to make it sooner than later then :) We're on the tail end of racing season here, it's going to start getting hot soon. I was signed up for a track day on March 23/24 but canceled due to changing vehicles. Maybe April...how soon is too soon? :D After April it won't be nice outside again here in Phoenix until October or November.

We're on the tail end of racing season here, it's going to start getting hot soon.

I'm curious how a Model 3 would handle that kind of heat on the track! Normally we have an advantage over ICE cars since we don't lose power as air temps get warmer (not directly at least), but Model 3 can still get hot after a few laps and have some power fade from that.

Though the car actually uses the AC compressor and refrigerant to chill the coolant loop, so it's not 100% reliant on the coolant/air radiator for heat exchange. Main reason for this is that a Tesla requires a good bit of cooling when sitting still and supercharging, so they need something other than a radiator for that purpose - but track mode allows you to kick that AC compressor into overdrive and gives a massive cooling advantage.

How Track Mode Works

I've put 125 or so miles on the rental and the more I drive it the more I love it! Super excited to get mine. Planning to take my BMW to CarMax tomorrow for a trade quote to compare against Tesla's, and might stop by the Tesla service center to ask about a HPWC unit, already have a plan for installation in my garage.

What's the deal with 3rd party charging stations? I tried to charge the rental at a Blink station and a evGo station tonight. I didn't have the right adapter for Blink, and the evGo kept getting some kind of communication error with the car, so I was 0/2 tonight. Are there any 3rd party charging stations that work?

disclaimer: I haven't actually used a 3rd party charger.

I believe you need an account for them. I did get a Chargepoint account for emergencies, but have yet to use it. An adapter comes with the car for one of the standards, but there's no adapters for some as you noticed with Blink.

There's a supercharger in Scottsdale so you'll likely never need to use a 3rd party charger in the area if you even need to use a charger outside your home at all.

I've put 125 or so miles on the rental and the more I drive it the more I love it! Super excited to get mine. Planning to take my BMW to CarMax tomorrow for a trade quote to compare against Tesla's, and might stop by the Tesla service center to ask about a HPWC unit, already have a plan for installation in my garage.

What's the deal with 3rd party charging stations? I tried to charge the rental at a Blink station and a evGo station tonight. I didn't have the right adapter for Blink, and the evGo kept getting some kind of communication error with the car, so I was 0/2 tonight. Are there any 3rd party charging stations that work?

I got a ChargePoint account for enmergencies, tried one once on Long Island, it charged at like 10 miles per hour, something like that, like grass growing. My own hookup in the garage charges at roughly 42 miles per hour, Tesla supercharger normally well over 100 miles per 30 min, up to 170 per 30 min?? The Tesla superchargers are seamless so I doubt I’ll ever use anything else unless emergency. Also, 99% of my charging takes place in my garage, just pull in and hookup, always. My car is always charged to 80%.

The entire charging question became non issues for us. We did have the Tesla charger installed in the garage, works like a charm.

I was trying to charge the Turo rental while at dinner, all I have for it is the 120v adapter that gets 4mi/hr, so it's been adding less when home than I've been driving. Probably going to stop by a supercharger before we head out for the day. There wasn't anything close by the place we went yesterday other than the two 3rd party units. I did sign up for accounts on both...still no go. I'll have a HPWC on a 60 amp circuit installed in the garage before my car gets here, sounds like I won't have to worry much about the 3rd party charging stations after that. Thanks all.

I was trying to charge the Turo rental while at dinner, all I have for it is the 120v adapter that gets 4mi/hr, so it's been adding less when home than I've been driving. Probably going to stop by a supercharger before we head out for the day. There wasn't anything close by the place we went yesterday other than the two 3rd party units. I did sign up for accounts on both...still no go. I'll have a HPWC on a 60 amp circuit installed in the garage before my car gets here, sounds like I won't have to worry much about the 3rd party charging stations after that. Thanks all.

Not much, although range anxiety is a real feeling when you first take ownership. You will find lots and lots and LOTS of posts here about "why am I not getting my rated range?" or why am I using so much power? or some variation. Its a lot like MPG on a gas car. Depending on configuration and driving, its difficult to get rated range. The Model 3 P specifically comes with Michellin Pilot super sport 4S tires (awesome tires as you likely know). They have good grip, but good grip cuts down on range (obvious when you think about it for a second) .

My daily commute is 75 miles round trip to work and back, and I use about 100 miles of stated range a day (or I did in december - febuary... right now I am using about 85 miles of stated range driving exactly the same, I guess because its bit warmer).

After a couple of weeks driving, and realizing that, yes its ok to plug it in every time you park at home, and because of that, and the charging speed on a 60amp circuit of this car, you are virtually always "full" for regular usage. Its only "trips" where you might need to think about it, or plan differently and there are a ton of tools for that (or just take your ICE car for that).

Back in my BMW again.

So many buttons. Seats are less comfortable than the 3. Suspension, even in "comfort" mode, is rougher. The BMW wanders in comparison to the 3, especially when the suspension compresses and releases. My car has less road/tire noise than the 3. It's smoother at freeway speed, but I suspect the 3 had an out of balance tire or something because there was a slight vibration in the steering wheel that varied according to speed. Wind noise seems a bit less in my car, but that may be because engine noise, while not loud, might be covering up some other noises. I have a few squeaks and rattles that are comparable to the 3.

First decel back in my car was slightly panic-inducing after being used to regen braking...

I still like my car quite a bit, but it feels like the past and the 3 feels like the future. Can't wait for delivery day :)

Last edited: