Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feedback from BMW or other premium brand converts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I'm a BMW owner considering a Model 3. Currently have a 2016 BMW 340i, M-Sport, Track Handling package, 6 speed manual. This is the first car I've ever ordered from the factory, so I got it spec'ed exactly how I want it. I have absolutely loved my car, it's a great daily driver, lots of fun, and I've done a handful of track days with it. I've had the car for almost 3.5 years and I'm approaching the 50k mile mark where the warranty and included service plans are ending. Couple that with the fresh price cuts and another upcoming tax credit cut...it seems like if I'm going to make a jump, now might be the time to do it.

I'm considering a fully optioned Model 3 Performance. I priced one out several months ago and today's price is about $10k lower (assuming I'm remembering correctly) at about $68k. I did go test drive one a couple weeks back and was pretty impressed overall, but spending 30 minutes driving an unfamiliar car doesn't really compare to the experience of owning and driving one every day. I'd like to hear some feedback from previous BMW or other premium brand owners who are now Model 3 owners. What do you like about the 3, what do you dislike, what do you miss (if anything) about your old car?

My biggest hang up with the Model 3 right now, aside from the idea of starting over on a new car loan, is just overall appearance. It looks a lot more "happy" than I'd like. Model S, by comparison has a really nice futuristic aggressive look that I dig. For this reason, I had pretty well decided after the test drive that I was going to stick with my current car for another 3-5 years to wait for some other brands to come out with more electric options. Then...I found this thread by @2018M3 :
Tesla Model 3 the way I want - Signature Wheel + MPP Comfort Coilover

Wow. Getting rid of the wheel gap really changed the appearance, and it gives it that subtle aggressive look that I was missing. I have been considering white with black wheels, and this car is just gorgeous. So...now I'm potentially back in the game :)

I drive about 13-14k miles a year, primarily doing a 40 mile round trip to work in Phoenix, with the occasional road trip. Also want the ability to hit some NASA HPDE track days probably 3-4 times a year.

All that being said, here's my list:

Pros:
New car
Cool interior design
Auto pilot
Maybe FSD someday
HOV lane access (Arizona - alt fuel plate)
Charging at home and/or work...no more gas station stops
Buying in to Elon Tusk's vision...love the mission behind Tesla, SpaceX, Neuralink, etc

Cons:
Starting over with a new car loan
Not much to make the Performance version stand out from the rest...especially with the $35k model out now
Styling is not quite as aggressive as I'd like
Range in specific situations...I don't think there's any charging infrastructure at the tracks around here, and I have to go to eastern AZ a few times a year for work, and it doesn't look like there's currently anything out there either.

So....what's your experience been?

Reactions: Mr X and dgaultiere
I think my now sold E36 M3 looked better, but the Model 3 performance is just nuts. It is so quick everywhere and it is so fun to drive. You just have to be careful because nobody hears you. I don’t miss a manual because it is always in the “best gear”. The front visibility is great, the AC is the best of any car (you are not constantly readjusting the vents, you are just comfortable) and the sound system is great. It’s easy to make calls (no tiny touch screen), it has navagation you can read, and if your back or leg hurts, or if you need to text it can drive for you. It’s hard to be in a Model 3 and be in a bad mood. It feels both like an old car clear of clutter and the most futuristic car.

I love the car and wouldn’t go back, but it can’t securely handle its own speed like a M3 does, and is squirrely at speed. I am hoping the Mountain Pass comfort coilovers make it handle better. I am waiting for the 1st reviews on a Performance. I came from an Audi S5.

Also, part of the deal is a disastrously shitty company to deal with. I look forward to better companies’ e cars in the next few years.

I had a 2016 BMW 428Xi which I loved. I am now in the Model 3 RWD Mid-Range. I really like the Tesla and enjoy driving it. Some things I miss - satellite radio, open air sunroof, auto open and close trunk, in-mirror blind spot and turn indicators, perfectly delivered robust paint in gorgeous color (I have white Tesla that was delivered with dust spots and required 3 weeks to repaint) and supple leather interior, superior fit and trim. The only thing I don't miss is iDrive Nav (horrible) and the abundance of buttons! Overall, BMW makes a fantastic car and I may return once they bring electric to the mainstream line.

After taking delivery of the Model3 you will immediately want to start modifications many of which should be standard or personalization options. When installing the options you will notice the Model3 is a cheap modular vehicle. Watch Rich Rebuilds and I1Tesla and you will see how it all snaps together, carpeting is velcro'd in, everything pulls/pops out, dim lighting, etc. I was excited for Enhanced Auto Pilot and many of those innovations but, frankly they are not baked and will scare you into not trusting them at high-speeds. When the Model3 Standards start shipping we will all be driving expensive common cars. Superchargers will be overrun and nobody will know your $70K Model 3 Performance from the average Model3. If it existed, soon we will equate it to owning a $70K Toyota Camry.

I love having gone electric and will also be getting solar installed (not from Tesla). That said, I am holding firm with my Model3 but, as the industry and market develops I will likely get back to a true automaker. Tesla is a fickle tech company with fantastic vision but the execution and experience to date Dec 2018-Mar 2019 has been suspect! Good luck.

It looks a lot more "happy" than I'd like. Model S, by comparison has a really nice futuristic aggressive look that I dig.
What you talking about?

zoukbd1wlnly.jpg

I have two refresh S’s and an X. I just added a new redesigned 2019 X5 Xdrive 40i Msport to our garage. The new X5 has much more tech than the Teslas but I still drive our Teslas more. The new BMW has the nicest interior of any car I have ever sat in (and that’s just about every car) it’s got “hey BMW" custom nameable recognition, heated and air conditioned massage Marino leather active sport seats, BMW version of AP, 22" 275-315 steamroller tires. The 40i AWD can hit 30 mpg on the highway, that’s in a over 6,000 GVW SUV. If it had our Tesla X drivetrain it would be my only car, in fact it would be my dream car.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: CalBlue 85D
I came from an Audi S5.

Also, part of the deal is a disastrously shitty company to deal with. I look forward to better companies’ e cars in the next few years.

You mean like Audi? Yeah a company (VW) that knowingly -- criminally -- pollutes is a real step forward. We definitely have different definitions of "shitty" when it comes to companies.

Hi all, I'm a BMW owner considering a Model 3. Currently have a 2016 BMW 340i, M-Sport, Track Handling package, 6 speed manual. This is the first car I've ever ordered from the factory, so I got it spec'ed exactly how I want it. I have absolutely loved my car, it's a great daily driver, lots of fun, and I've done a handful of track days with it. I've had the car for almost 3.5 years and I'm approaching the 50k mile mark where the warranty and included service plans are ending. Couple that with the fresh price cuts and another upcoming tax credit cut...it seems like if I'm going to make a jump, now might be the time to do it.

I'm considering a fully optioned Model 3 Performance. I priced one out several months ago and today's price is about $10k lower (assuming I'm remembering correctly) at about $68k. I did go test drive one a couple weeks back and was pretty impressed overall, but spending 30 minutes driving an unfamiliar car doesn't really compare to the experience of owning and driving one every day. I'd like to hear some feedback from previous BMW or other premium brand owners who are now Model 3 owners. What do you like about the 3, what do you dislike, what do you miss (if anything) about your old car?

My biggest hang up with the Model 3 right now, aside from the idea of starting over on a new car loan, is just overall appearance. It looks a lot more "happy" than I'd like. Model S, by comparison has a really nice futuristic aggressive look that I dig. For this reason, I had pretty well decided after the test drive that I was going to stick with my current car for another 3-5 years to wait for some other brands to come out with more electric options. Then...I found this thread by @2018M3 :

Wow. Getting rid of the wheel gap really changed the appearance, and it gives it that subtle aggressive look that I was missing. I have been considering white with black wheels, and this car is just gorgeous. So...now I'm potentially back in the game :)

I drive about 13-14k miles a year, primarily doing a 40 mile round trip to work in Phoenix, with the occasional road trip. Also want the ability to hit some NASA HPDE track days probably 3-4 times a year.

Pros:
New car
Cool interior design
Auto pilot
Maybe FSD someday
Buying in to Elon Tusk's vision...love the mission behind Tesla, SpaceX, Neuralink, etc

Cons:
Not much to make the Performance version stand out from the rest...especially with the $35k model out now
Range in specific situations...I don't think there's any charging infrastructure at the tracks around here, and I have to go to eastern AZ a few times a year for work, and it doesn't look like there's currently anything out there either.

Let me make it simple for you. Your BMW is like having a blackberry and having a Tesla is like when the iPhone came out. The difference is night and day. I have had BMW Audi Lexus.. if you get a Tesla you must get the EAP and now FSD (as you need FSD to get navigation on autopilot, auto steering... ) it will change your life. It's night and day difference especially if you live in a city with stop and go traffic. The instant acceleration is awesome. The car is extremely responsive (analogy #2 scrolling in iphone vs early android phones with crazy lag). Dont hesitate and get one. Everyone swears by their Tesla and never going back

VoIP ninja is the guy to talk to. He had a long thread on this last year. Search for him.

There is a super long thread over at bimmerfest that got relocated there somewhere. Only the first couple of pages are relevant (@voip-ninja 's take is very good, and I agree with him on most of what he said there. The very TL ; DR version (coming as a BMW driver of only bmws in my household for around 12 years before this) is:

Pro: Driving experience is much superior to anything BMW puts out right now (not going into detail but the car drives incredibly)

Con: Car not built from a fit / finish standpoint like german cars. Its somewhat noisy inside (road noise), not much of a luxury car feel to it at all, not much differentiation between looks of base model and high end model (unlike BMW where there is a significant difference between a 320 and M3 (the real one) in terms of appearance as well as performance).

You should go drive it while you can. Try to drive a performance model and floor it a couple times. It becomes easier to forgive the other stuff if you enjoy driving.

Let me make it simple for you. Your BMW is like having a blackberry and having a Tesla is like when the iPhone came out. The difference is night and day. I have had BMW Audi Lexus.. if you get a Tesla you must get the EAP and now FSD (as you need FSD to get navigation on autopilot, auto steering... ) it will change your life. It's night and day difference especially if you live in a city with stop and go traffic. The instant acceleration is awesome. The car is extremely responsive (analogy #2 scrolling in iphone vs early android phones with crazy lag). Dont hesitate and get one. Everyone swears by their Tesla and never going back
Yeah owning a Tesla is like that scene in Garden State except there’s no Shins song playing and Natalie Portman isn’t with you. So not really like that movie but you get the drift.

Scene-02-Moview-Clip.gif

Thanks all. I found voip-ninja's thread here and a couple over on bimmerfest as well.

I have test driven the Performance 3. Only so much you can focus on in a 30 minute session, and acceleration and handling were definitely two of the big ones. Living with the car day to day is different, and that's why I'm here asking questions. I may take voip-ninja's advice and rent one for a day from Turn, found one pretty close for $250/day.

Pros:
New car
Cool interior design
Auto pilot
Maybe FSD someday

Cons:

I'm the "why cant they #@$%ing build/fix it properly" voice around here so, if you're not particularly bothered by paying a lot of money for shoddy quality and service, then my opinion won't help you that much:

Pros:
Before you buy a Performance, try a RWD as well. You may like the driving dynamics better, they have better range and cost less. Also a tad less noisy.
Home charging = awesome. Not Tesla-specific though.
You save some money with the cost of home charging vs gasoline. You will likely not save anything with supercharging though.
In normal, non-hooligan driving, there's not much on the road that is quicker (as in acceleration, not speed). I.m.o. being able to quickly dart around provides a non-negligible extra level of safety (i.e. you can pull away from unwanted/dicey situations).
No ASBO mode. The car just accelerates as quickly as it can, quietly. If you feel like peeling away quickly, you don't sound like an arsehole doing it.
The traction control will help your rear stay planted without the jerkiness of a traditional powertrain. During vigorous cornering (on the street) the traction control is a lot more satisfying than that in say a Cayman (although everything else about it is less so). I have no idea how all this feels on the track, when you push the car properly or when you compare to another car with TCS disabled.
Headlights are good.
The nav system has its quirks, but it's very good (mostly due to the large map and ability to quickly interact with it).

Cons, etc.:
Don't buy missions and that fluff, their value inevitably goes to zero.
Auto pilot is worthless, unless you spend a lot of time in bumper-to-bumper traffic and are tolerant of odd levels of acceleration and braking (think buzzed teenager).
You're likely to pay a bit more in insurance.
If you have to make it to work every day and don't have another car, a Tesla is not the most dependable option.
Tesla has a solid chance of not being around in a few years and there are more and more companies putting out real EVs. Tesla will not just disappear, somebody will scoop them up for sure, but that may have an unwanted impact on the existing fleet (at the very least, the resale will be crap).
Service is *sugar*. No qualifier, nothing, it's just *sugar*. I can go on all day on this subject.
On anything other than smooth asphalt, the interior will rattle like the cheapest car you've ever driven. Maybe not right away, but it will.
Lots of road noise, significantly more annoying than other cars at the same price point.
The glass is not the best. I feel a lot more heat coming through the windows and roof compared to my Audis.
Ergonomics are generally iffy.

This may very well not be reasonable for others but, if I were to do it again, in today's world, I'd get the cheapest one and live with it for a while. If, after a year or so, I'd find that I'm still happy with it, I'd go full hog and get a Performance or whatever the hottest one would be at the time.

Thanks all. I found voip-ninja's thread here and a couple over on bimmerfest as well.

I have test driven the Performance 3. Only so much you can focus on in a 30 minute session, and acceleration and handling were definitely two of the big ones. Living with the car day to day is different, and that's why I'm here asking questions. I may take voip-ninja's advice and rent one for a day from Turn, found one pretty close for $250/day.

That will be money well spent.

Reactions: destructure00
The model 3 drives somewhere between an F30 and an e90. It’s got a tighter handling more crisp cornering response like the E90, but the steering has less “feel” kind of like (but not quite as bad as) the F30. The later is just a byproduct of having an electric steering rack - which all new cars have as far as I know.

Obviously being an electric car, it doesn’t have a transmission so it takes the MT vs AT question out of the equation.

The thing I don’t think you appreciate until you spend some time in the model3 is just how quiet and smooth the acceleration is. Even compared to the BMW I-6, which was one of the best ICE engines in that regard. And the torque from 0 rpm is amazing.

Maybe the current idrive systems are really good, but it’s hard to beat Tesla in this respect - mainly because they keep updating it and making it better throughout the life of the car.

Can’t comment much on Tesla service or reliability yet. Although I loved driving them, my BMWs weren’t very reliable and the dealers around me acted like they were doing me a favor doing warranty work or I had to take the cars in multiple times for the same issues. BMW NA has great customer service, however.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: destructure00
I purchased a RWD Model 3 and then traded up for the Performance to do some track driving and have been super satisfied so far. The car drives fantastic and Autopilot makes my daily commute so simple and stress free. I've taken it to Buttonwillow and passed my fair share of BMW's on the track as well ;)

You definitely need to lower Model 3 to get an aggressive look, also new wheels as the current stock ones on Performance are super heavy/not very wide and meant for efficiency. I'd suggest getting a 9 or 9.5" square set-up instead of the stock 8.5" and it really looks good.

As far as the car's overall styling of being too "happy", i kinda agree. Unplugged Performance makes some great body parts to change the look of the car including a front fascia and rear bumper (i'm testing it for them, it looks sweet!) if you want to go that route: Ascension Front Fascia System for Tesla Model 3

Here's a shot of my car lowered and with more aggressive wheels/tires and the Unplugged front lip spoiler: Tesla Speed on Instagram: “New PB at Buttonwillow! Always a good day when you go faster. #tesla #trackmode #teslacorsa #speedventures #unpluggedperformance”

And some track action since you'll definitely want to track this bad boy:

2015 F36 435i Gran Coupe here. Custom ordered, with all the M Performance upgrades, Dynamic Handling Package, etc. Three BMWs prior to it (E46 325i 5mt, E90 335i 6mt, E39 M5).

The P3D absolutely obliterates them all in acceleration, response, brake pedal feel, cornering, and daily comfort. The steering is sharp and accurate with a shockingly fast ratio. To me, there's plenty of feel, certainly more than the outgoing F3x series BMWs. At Buttonwillow, I was amazed at the car's capability, particularly with Track Mode enabled.

Two issues: fender-to-wheel gap (purely aesthetic), and springs/dampers that are too soft (for my tastes). The rear end gets tossed around during mid-corner bumps (both on track and off), which saps a bit of confidence. My 435i has adaptive dampers, which do a great job of limiting body motion and maintaining a controlled, composed ride. I'm hoping a set of coilovers will address both issues. I've got the MPP Sports on preorder.

The MSRP of my 435i was almost $64k. A new P3D is $58k. Add $2500 for coilovers, maybe $500 in brake pad/fluid upgrades, and you've got a monster of a deal for $61k.

The BMW is a full-time Turo rental now. Still love it, but it's simply not as fun as the Model 3.

I'm the "why cant they #@$%ing build/fix it properly" voice around here so, if you're not particularly bothered by paying a lot of money for shoddy quality and service, then my opinion won't help you that much:

Pros:
Before you buy a Performance, try a RWD as well. You may like the driving dynamics better, they have better range and cost less. Also a tad less noisy.
Home charging = awesome. Not Tesla-specific though.
You save some money with the cost of home charging vs gasoline. You will likely not save anything with supercharging though.
In normal, non-hooligan driving, there's not much on the road that is quicker (as in acceleration, not speed). I.m.o. being able to quickly dart around provides a non-negligible extra level of safety (i.e. you can pull away from unwanted/dicey situations).
No ASBO mode. The car just accelerates as quickly as it can, quietly. If you feel like peeling away quickly, you don't sound like an arsehole doing it.
The traction control will help your rear stay planted without the jerkiness of a traditional powertrain. During vigorous cornering (on the street) the traction control is a lot more satisfying than that in say a Cayman (although everything else about it is less so). I have no idea how all this feels on the track, when you push the car properly or when you compare to another car with TCS disabled.
Headlights are good.
The nav system has its quirks, but it's very good (mostly due to the large map and ability to quickly interact with it).

Cons, etc.:
Don't buy missions and that fluff, their value inevitably goes to zero.
Auto pilot is worthless, unless you spend a lot of time in bumper-to-bumper traffic and are tolerant of odd levels of acceleration and braking (think buzzed teenager).
You're likely to pay a bit more in insurance.
If you have to make it to work every day and don't have another car, a Tesla is not the most dependable option.
Tesla has a solid chance of not being around in a few years and there are more and more companies putting out real EVs. Tesla will not just disappear, somebody will scoop them up for sure, but that may have an unwanted impact on the existing fleet (at the very least, the resale will be crap).
Service is *sugar*. No qualifier, nothing, it's just *sugar*. I can go on all day on this subject.
On anything other than smooth asphalt, the interior will rattle like the cheapest car you've ever driven. Maybe not right away, but it will.
Lots of road noise, significantly more annoying than other cars at the same price point.
The glass is not the best. I feel a lot more heat coming through the windows and roof compared to my Audis.
Ergonomics are generally iffy.

This may very well not be reasonable for others but, if I were to do it again, in today's world, I'd get the cheapest one and live with it for a while. If, after a year or so, I'd find that I'm still happy with it, I'd go full hog and get a Performance or whatever the hottest one would be at the time.
I am fairly certain this is the price floor. It is a better car for less money than any comparable gas car other than the absolute cheapest.

My last car was an E92 M3. The P3D is better in every way except maybe steering. Hated driving the last few "modern" BMWs I tried (low end F30 - probably 328i, some newer X1). If you have a strategy for charging and are ready for a new car, then the 3 is a great pick and something truly different IMO.