Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feeling a "Cold Draft" from Windows and Front

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have this with their X? I guess I haven't noticed it before because I'm usually wearing a pretty heavy Parka, but had a longer trip yesterday so decided to take off the jacket, and man, the car was freezing.

Drove from Toronto (Canada) to Buffalo, NY (~200km/125miles) on a fully charged (100%) X75D.

Temperature was -7c/20F - Otherwise clear driving conditions

I previously had passengers complain about this when sitting at the back but I thought they were exaggerating.

However, it was just way too cold to sit there without the jacket due to a really cold breeze coming from the windows, almost like they're not "Sealed" properly. Felt another draft coming from the "front" of the vehicle. Specifically noted that the area under the touchscreen was cold.

Is this normal for Teslas? I've never experienced such things in any other vehicle I've driven.

I normally have the climate control running at about 20c/68f, but had to crank it up to 27c/80f just to keep it "bearable".

Also, I've been noticing a "MAJOR" change in how long my car lasts and the "wh/mile" I'm getting.

On the way from Toronto to Buffalo, my car was averaging 490 wh/mi at speeds between 55mph - 70mph - 100% on autopilot with 0 traffic - complete highway driving, so there was no stop/go outside of "at the border". Climate control was at 68f for the most part but at 80f for a little bit, with seat heater on at "1" for 2 seats

On the way back from Buffalo to Toronto, my car was averaging 510 who/mi on speeds between 55mph - 75 mph (most of the trip, increased to 80mph near the end of the trip) all on autopilot. Climate control at 68f for the entire trip with seat heater at "1" for 2 seats. 0 traffic - complete highway driving

I did a similar trip the night before as well, from Toronto Canada to Niagara Falls Canada (didn't cross the border this time), and had similar results.

On route from Toronto to Niagara averaged 515 wh/mi (after supercharging at Grimsby) driving between 65mph - 70mph complete on autopilot with climate control at 68F, 0 traffic and no "cold weather" features enabled (barely had enough juice to make it to charger) - complete highway driving.

On route from Niagara to Toronto averaged 516wh/mi (after supercharging at Grimsby) driving between 65mph-75mph complete on autopilot with 1 seat warmer at "1" and climate control at 68F, 0 traffic - complete highway driving.

Other details:
Using 19" Pirelli Scorpion Winter Tires (purchased and installed from a Tesla SC). Tire pressure per dashboard for all tires was 42psi.

Car was "completely warm" (in the sense that regen braking was not limited like it usually is in cold weather)

Temperature on both days was similar -7c/20f

Wind speed was "average" and I guess wouldn't matter since if it was bad one way, the return (both times a couple hours later) should have benefited, but it did not by much

I think I have the exact same issue as you... not so much cold air from the windows, but right under the touchscreen, I've been feeling a cold draft from the front, so my feet gets super cold.

My wh/mi gets noticeably higher going from 5C to -5C, as the temperature in Toronto these days. Gets closer to 500wh/mi, with 19inch Michilin xi2 winter tires.

Speaking of which, the other day I saw a blue MX driver waving at me around richmond hill area... couldn't be you could it? lol

I think I have the exact same issue as you... not so much cold air from the windows, but right under the touchscreen, I've been feeling a cold draft from the front, so my feet gets super cold.

My wh/mi gets noticeably higher going from 5C to -5C, as the temperature in Toronto these days. Gets closer to 500wh/mi, with 19inch Michilin xi2 winter tires.

Speaking of which, the other day I saw a blue MX driver waving at me around richmond hill area... couldn't be you could it? lol

Hmm so I'm assuming this means there's definitely something wrong with the seals around the windows in my vehicle? Trading it in for another X (w/ autopilot 2.0!) in a couple weeks so glad that'll fix itself.

A little disappointed to hear that the 500wh/mi (~320wh/km) is normal based on your experience. Really sucks for the longer drives.

As for the car being in R. Hill, that might have indeed been my car if it was 2 weeks ago haha. I let my brother drive it there for a week, may have been him :).

Front side window gaskets received some attention at a service center visit for the sake of wind noise. On very windy days with I do feel a breeze from the windows but only intermittently with gusty cross winds.
Check that your rear passengers are not getting cold air from the rear HVAC through the B pillar vents. The air is cooled as it travels along the side of the car to the vents. Prewarming the channel with HI temps and hi fan seems to help. SC put some insulation in when I (my passengers) complained.

Front side window gaskets received some attention at a service center visit for the sake of wind noise. On very windy days with I do feel a breeze from the windows but only intermittently with gusty cross winds.
Check that your rear passengers are not getting cold air from the rear HVAC through the B pillar vents. The air is cooled as it travels along the side of the car to the vents. Prewarming the channel with HI temps and hi fan seems to help. SC put some insulation in when I (my passengers) complained.

The rear passengers do indeed get cold air when cars in "Range Mode" but other than that, there's also a draft from the windows.

I'm hoping this is corrected in the next car.

Thanks everyone. I am driving from Austin, Texas to Salt Lake City in my 2018 Model S 100D.

I usually do long trips in Range Mode, and so I chalked up a cold cabin to that. However tonight I was driving from Albuquerque to Farmington, NM at 70 MPH and it was around 25°F outside. The wind was relatively calm. I ended up putting on my sock hat and a fleece be aide the cabin was very cold even though the climate was set to 75°.

I felt cool air and felt around. I discovered both my rear passenger windows had significant cold air pouring in from the beam between the front and the back of the car.

I’m going to have the SC look at it when I get back

Thanks everyone. I am driving from Austin, Texas to Salt Lake City in my 2018 Model S 100D.

I usually do long trips in Range Mode,
Why would you do that? Range mode mainly benefits short trips when the car is very cold. Heat up the car while plugged in before you leave, and do not suffer through range mode on a long trip with reduced heat. My family would ask me to leave the vehicle if I ran with range mode turned on. Brrrr…

I'd tried 2 SCs with no improvement so I ended up fixing it myself. Even worst, the Kato SC screwed up my FWDs' alignment on both sides and the SA told be to bring the car to a body shop to have it fix. WTF!!! After that my rear passenger started complaining about the wind noise and cool air entering the cabin. The Sunnyvale SC corrected the doors' alignment but the wind noise issue wasn't mitigated.

Issue: when you're driving, the air enters through the b pillars to the vertical beam of the rear window. If you open the FWDs and looks at it, you will see the gaps where the air enters. Popping the trim open, you will see almost zero effort by Tesla to insulate or reduce the noise. Maybe Tesla was planning to have the airbag in there but it's mostly empty. IDK, I'm a computer engineer, not an automotive engineer.
ZhgIe04.png

The fix:
I added acoustic foam to both sides of the trim. It prevents the air from entering the cabin thus reduces the noise and makes the interior warmer when driving.
Notice that black bag thingy in the middle? That was the original insulation. Very little effort or dare I say extremely poor design.
You can add some foams to the top part but try not to interfere with the air bags and the FWD opening mechanism.
dAuN4ni.png

dCGwgPS.png

While I have the foam, I added some to the A pillars. You may need someone with small arms to help.
ah0m1DI.png

Last edited: