Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fender dent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a dent on the front left fender of my Model 3, it was my mistake. I tried few repair shops and they said it cant be fixed by PDRs. Camera and turn signal working fine. The body shop quoted me 3k usd for fender replacement+paint correction matching on the fender, hood and till door area. Does this cost sounds reasonable ?

Attachments

• 00C782C8-7428-4132-AEBC-7E6018084B68.jpeg
    00C782C8-7428-4132-AEBC-7E6018084B68.jpeg
    340.2 KB · Views: 432
$2100 in labor sounds right. It's a solid 2 hours of work by the time they do all the prep, painting, cleanup, paperwork, lunch break, remove/replace the fender, etc. You can figure the day laborer probably takes $19 of that, which barely leaves $2081 for the shop owner.

If you call enough junkyards you'll eventually find one with a red fender in good shape and the color will probably match closely enough. Or you could wait for one to appear on eBay.

Upvote 0
Paint labor is 900 which includes fender, hood and blending till front door. body labor is 1200 for reassembly from hood to door including replacing the repeater lamp
Since you're in Mass., contact that RichRebuilds fellow, and ask how difficult it would be to do the labor yourself, and then buy one from a junkyard like Gaussguzzler recommends. How bad is the hood and door paint damage?

Reactions: TLLMRRJ and jithesh
Upvote 0
That sounds reasonable to me. I had a front rear passenger fender accident recently and was quoted $4,000-$5,000 from three different Tesla approved body shops for the fender replacement. When I made the decision for which shop I wanted to go with and brought it in, the final bill was $5,700 which insurance agreed to. Keep in mind that I am in the NYC area so labor rate is probably higher than where you are. The fender and materials is inexpensive as you noted but the labor is the main driver here: dis-assemble, re-assemble, paint the fender and then also paint and blend the parts adjacent to it (front bumper, driver door, hood, etc.) and then clean and polish.

You can shop around with a couple of different shops but if you're going the insurance route and only paying your deductible, then just go with the one you trust most that will do the best job. If you do with the shop, I will consider the time you won't have the car and make arrangements for a rental if you need it, especially if the shop is really busy and there is a queue before they even get to your car. Ask the shops what their anticipated time-frame to repair is. You also need to consider the wait for Tesla to deliver the fender (in my case, it was about a week).

Reactions: jithesh
Upvote 0