Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Few concerns from new owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You’re not sure how relevant it is to compare a Tesla’s missing features to common features included on most cars offered today?

And this because the Tesla gets a pass due to it being electric?

Sorry. That’s just nonsense.
My older BMW did not have tint. It did have a spare.

My last BMW did not have tint. Nor did it have a spare tire.

My acrura did not have tint. It did have a spare.

The only thing I’ve added to my Tesla (and other previous cars) is tint.

That’s not the point, and you know it.

what? Like for instance if you are looking at two cars, and one is ev and the other is an ice car but has a sunscreen and floor mats, you are suggesting the other car has more value because it includes those features and that the fact that the other car is an ev is irrelevant... eg no value add.

what? Like for instance if you are looking at two cars, and one is ev and the other is an ice car but has a sunscreen and floor mats, you are suggesting the other car has more value because it includes those features and that the fact that the other car is an ev is irrelevant... eg no value add.
Nope. I made no comment about value.

I also made no comment about floor mats.

My older BMW did not have tint. It did have a spare.

My last BMW did not have tint. Nor did it have a spare tire.

My acrura did not have tint. It did have a spare.

The only thing I’ve added to my Tesla (and other previous cars) is tint.
Did your BMW and Acura have glass moon roofs? If so, they had sliding covers to cover the glass. I have owned five BMWs and one Acura over the past two decades and I know this to be fact. Heck, my 1983 Honda Civic with glass moonroof had a sliding cover to block the sun.

I never stated tinted glass was included on most cars. My comment about tinting glass was in response to the person who mentioned he tinted his Model 3 glass roof to keep the car cool...an expenditure that would be unnecessary if the car had a basic sliding sunroof cover.

Last edited:
Reactions: Petrocelli
I was discussing basic features lacking on the Model 3 that cause owners to purchase aftermarket items to address the shortcomings.

If you perceive this as a value discussion, then that’s your prerogative. I don’t see it that way.

How do you see it then? Do you think tesla is ripping you off by not including those for free? I think it sucks that those other cars don’t include the basic gas and oil you are going to need to operate them... gas and oil are a lot more expensive than a sun screen.... even if you factor in recharge cost.

All the cars I have owned prior to the Model 3 that were equipped with sunroofs had sliding covers so they did not require aftermarket tint or sunshades. Every car I have owned prior to the Model 3 has had a spare tire or run flats or flat tire repair kit included. Every car I have owned in the past fifteen years has included a HomeLink garage door opener. I have owned many cars that had consoles with built in organisers and cup holders that held cups snugly. And I have never owned a car prior to the Model 3 that allowed rain water to run unabated into the trunk when the lid was opened.

Model 3 owners seem to believe buying accessories to address these deficiencies is normal.

It’s not normal.

Not sure how you'd include a sliding cover on a panoramic roof. Dont get me wrong, I dont need a panoramic roof either but you're a weirdo if you're asking for a sliding hardcover on a roof that is basically all glass.

I agree with the spare tire situation, but it was only in the last few years where manufacturers started not including a spare tire. Its something like 25-30% of new vehicles have none. And the tire repair kits that come with cars are absolute trash, including the Tesla one that you can buy. Everyone buys something along the lines of Dynaplug if they dont want a spare tire.

Homelink garage door opener is different than the garage opener people are buying from Tesla lol.

You are absolutely right about the rain problem though.

So. I guess all thats really left in that list is the cup insert and console inserts. I'm sure Tesla sincerely apologizes. Years in the future you can tell your grandkids about the tyranny of Tesla after Tesla goes bankrupt and under for withholding customers the right to OEM cup and console inserts. A massive price of about 40 bucks together.

its a free market. if you like the model 3 then buy it. if there are too many 'cons' that outweigh the 'pros' then don't. no idea if tvad owns a model 3 or not, but if you do i'd say you're the most unhappy model 3 owner i've come across. you can always sell your car and buy a bmw.

are there things i wish my model 3 had? yes. But it has about 300 things that my previous car 12' Acura TL w/ tech package didnt have, which is why i spent 55k on the car. no sense in complaining about features the car doesn't have. sure some people will 'upgrade' their cars and some people wont. it's not that i was happy to have to spend 100 bucks to tint my sunroof, but i will say it looks WAY cooler than my Acura's sliding sunroof hands down.

it's just like anything....if i go to a chicken wing place who charges me for a side of ranch to go with my wings, then i'm not going back. i'm not gonna keep going to the restaurant and bitch to the other tables - "you know, they really should give you ranch for free....Wing stop gives you ranch for free....just sain'"

oh by the way, i spent 39 dollars on chrome squeegee that i keep in my frunk for when it rains. i'm gonna get out, in the rain, walk around to the frunk, open it, get out my chrome, oh wait no.... - carbon fiber wrapped squeegee and squeegee off my trunk before i open it so water doesn't get in there.

or i could just deal with it. omg

Not sure how you'd include a sliding cover on a panoramic roof. Dont get me wrong, I dont need a panoramic roof either but you're a weirdo if you're asking for a sliding hardcover on a roof that is basically all glass.

I agree with the spare tire situation, but it was only in the last few years where manufacturers started not including a spare tire. Its something like 25-30% of new vehicles have none. And the tire repair kits that come with cars are absolute trash, including the Tesla one that you can buy. Everyone buys something along the lines of Dynaplug if they dont want a spare tire.

Homelink garage door opener is different than the garage opener people are buying from Tesla lol.

You are absolutely right about the rain problem though.

So. I guess all thats really left in that list is the cup insert and console inserts. I'm sure Tesla sincerely apologizes. Years in the future you can tell your grandkids about the tyranny of Tesla after Tesla goes bankrupt and under for withholding customers the right to OEM cup and console inserts. A massive price of about 40 bucks together.
My Macan has a sliding cover on the panoramic sunroof. Full coverage front to back. I do understand your point on the Model 3’s panoramic roof as presently designed. Doesn’t the Model S have a covered panoramic roof? Not sure on this. It’s been a while since I test drove a Model S.

The reason the Tesla flat tire kit doesn’t work has mostly to do with the acoustic foam layered OEM Michelin tires. Other manufacturers do not equip their cars with acoustic foam-lined tires, so the chances of the “slime” kits working is higher.

Tesla specifically states the garage door opener is a HomeLink module.
Automatic Garage Opener
I am aware it has features beyond those found on other cars. Still...it was included on the Model 3 not that long ago.

My Macan has a sliding cover on the panoramic sunroof. Full coverage front to back. I do understand your point on the Model 3’s panoramic roof as presently designed. Doesn’t the Model S have a covered panoramic roof? Not sure on this. It’s been a while since I test drove a Model S.

The reason the Tesla flat tire kit doesn’t work has mostly to do with the acoustic foam layered OEM Michelin tires. Other manufacturers do not equip their cars with acoustic foam-lined tires, so the chances of the “slime” kits working is higher.

Tesla specifically states the garage door opener is a HomeLink module.
Automatic Garage Opener
I am aware it has features beyond those found on other cars. Still...it was included on the Model 3 not that long ago.

Look at the how the pillars and the coverage of the Macan compared to the Model 3. I cant tell if you're serious. The Model 3 is basically just glass. I personally would like the Macan style giving the amount of viewing angle provided to provide a hard sliding roof. But the Model 3 roof is supposedly integral to the car which is why they keep implementing it. Not my thing, but I'm not going to get mad about it after buying it lol.

The reason the Tesla flat tire is crap is because its crap. My buddy bought 2 one for each Tesla and when the time came to need it they just straight up didnt turn on.

Yes, it was included before. The dates in which they stopped including it and the date when the car price drop happened is fishy, but you were still comparing the Homelink module that comes with other cars for free and the proximity opener. They are different.

Look at the how the pillars and the coverage of the Macan compared to the Model 3. I cant tell if you're serious. The Model 3 is basically just glass. I personally would like the Macan style giving the amount of viewing angle provided to provide a hard sliding roof. But the Model 3 roof is supposedly integral to the car which is why they keep implementing it. Not my thing, but I'm not going to get mad about it after buying it lol.

The reason the Tesla flat tire is crap is because its crap. My buddy bought 2 one for each Tesla and when the time came to need it they just straight up didnt turn on.

Yes, it was included before. The dates in which they stopped including it and the date when the car price drop happened is fishy, but you were still comparing the Homelink module that comes with other cars for free and the proximity opener. They are different.
I understand the construction differences between the Macan and Model 3, and I also said I understood your point.

You wrote:
“Not sure how you'd include a sliding cover on a panoramic roof.”

I was simply providing an example of a vehicle where it’s done very well.

The flat tire kit (sealant and compressor) on my non-Tesla cars has worked fine. The fact that Tesla’s compressor didn’t work for your buddy is reason for concern.

We’re spitting hairs on HomeLink. You clearly understand the point I’m making.

Last edited:
Sometimes car manufacturers spend more time on certain features than others. Tesla went for experience of full glass roof and driving dynamics. It's a new car company and they've excelled at many other things in the car including price point. I'm sure with each iteration it will get better, but for the price and being all electric I'm sure they spent a good deal of time on the drive unit , suspension and minimalizing the interior to zen like status. I'm also glad they haven't had time to resort to the Germans cost cutting on parts for planned obsolescence. How many water pumps, coils and other rubber hoses have to fail on these German cars within 5 years of ownership. Germans are great at engineering parts set to fail near warranty end as well as engineering to great fit and finish ( not related to reliability). You pick your poison, nobody is excusing Tesla but some of these points are minor annoyances.