Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Few concerns from new owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey folks,

Already posted about my steering wheel issue on a different thread but I have a few more issues/concerns:

1. There seems to be a weird part on the roof where the glass separates. It seems minor cosmetically (can barely see it) but I wonder how it came about to be this way and whether there are more implications.
https://i.imgur.com/pmQQX8Y.jpg

2. There's a blurry spot on my back up camera that doesn't seem to go away just by wiping it clean.
Imgur

3. The glass roof is a very cool concept but I can't help but feel very hot driving in CA weather. Yes I have AC but there is also a discrepancy between temps in the front and back so whoever is sitting back there complains it's too cold.

I'm taking delivery of my Model 3 in a few weeks. As soon as I was approved for finance I order everything I'd need for the car, including sunshades. I just moved back to Hawaii after living just outside of Los Angeles for years so the glass roof is obviously more of a hindrance than a luxurious feature. From what I understand though, they designed the rear window and roof to be integral on how the frame holds up in a crash? Something like that. Dont quote me XD Get a sunshade!

For the other two problems you should really go schedule with the SC. No point in doubting yourself, just ask them.

You need the one or both of the roof sunshades offered in the Tesla Store, or from 3rd parties on Amazon or E-Bay.

Agreed! I have the Tesla branded one and I’m not sure it was the right one for me. The car still feels really hot and excessively bright even with it in place. There are some third party ones that completely block out the sun that I might have gone with had I known how hot it would get in the summer.

1) fingerprints, or are you referring to what appears to be some missing adhesive between the glass layers?

2) the blur probably is on the inside of the camera housing, and not on the outside.

3) as tvad notes, get a sunshade, and throw a lightweight blanket in the back

Agreed! I have the Tesla branded one and I’m not sure it was the right one for me. The car still feels really hot and excessively bright even with it in place. There are some third party ones that completely block out the sun that I might have gone with had I known how hot it would get in the summer.
Just a dumb decision by Tesla not to design a sliding sun roof cover.

keep in mind you can also use clear (almost clear) with like 99 percent heat rejection. i have 70 on my windshield and 35 on the sides and back window. i am going back to get my roof above my head tinted 70 just to block out the heat. it is noticeable.

i had the roof sunshade and hated it. it dropped down and i did not like the look of it AT ALL

keep in mind you can also use clear (almost clear) with like 99 percent heat rejection. i have 70 on my windshield and 35 on the sides and back window. i am going back to get my roof above my head tinted 70 just to block out the heat. it is noticeable.

i had the roof sunshade and hated it. it dropped down and i did not like the look of it AT ALL

I did the same on my S and I’ve had no heat issues at all

I love how folks spend money to fix Tesla
design errors or omissions as if it’s no big deal.

Roof tint, roof sunshades, wireless phone chargers, spare tire/repair kits, garage door opener, console organisers, cup holder improvements, water proof trunk liners...

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: notrhj
You've owned a car with tints, tire plug kit, wireless phone charger, proximity garage door opener, console tray, LED cup holder, and all weather mats that came with the car? Lucky you.
All the cars I have owned prior to the Model 3 that were equipped with sunroofs had sliding covers so they did not require aftermarket tint or sunshades. Every car I have owned prior to the Model 3 has had a spare tire or run flats or flat tire repair kit included. Every car I have owned in the past fifteen years has included a HomeLink garage door opener. I have owned many cars that had consoles with built in organisers and cup holders that held cups snugly. And I have never owned a car prior to the Model 3 that allowed rain water to run unabated into the trunk when the lid was opened.

Model 3 owners seem to believe buying accessories to address these deficiencies is normal.

It’s not normal.

All the cars I have owned prior to the Model 3 that were equipped with sunroofs had sliding covers so they did not require aftermarket tint or sunshades. Every car I have owned prior to the Model 3 has had a spare tire or run flats or flat tire repair kit included. Every car I have owned in the past fifteen years has included a HomeLink garage door opener. I have owned many cars that had consoles with built in organisers and cup holders that held cups snugly. And I have never owned a car prior to the Model 3 that allowed rain water to run unabated into the trunk when the lid was opened.

Model 3 owners seem to believe buying accessories to address these deficiencies is normal.

It’s not normal.

There is a large aftermarket for tint products for all cars. And many new cars today don’t have spare tires. I haven’t had any problems with the cup holders on my Model 3. Removing Homelink was controversial. Both of my LR RWD models were purchased before it was removed but I do agree it should have remained standard equipment. The rain water in the trunk is a fair point.

But if I were to compare the Model 3 to every car I’ve owned over the past 15 years (all Lexus LS models), I would have to point out that all of those cars required regular trips to the gas station. And they all required oil and filter changes, expensive routine inspections, and smog checks. So I’m not sure how relevant it is to compare a Tesla to “those” cars.

Reactions: Dr. J

It’s not normal.

I never had any of those cars on any car i’ve purchased previous, which cars have all those features?

...if I were to compare the Model 3 to every car I’ve owned over the past 15 years (all Lexus LS models), I would have to point out that all of those cars required regular trips to the gas station. And they all required oil and filter changes, expensive routine inspections, and smog checks. So I’m not sure how relevant it is to compare a Tesla to “those” cars.
You’re not sure how relevant it is to compare a Tesla’s missing features to common features included on most cars offered today?

And this because the Tesla gets a pass due to it being electric?

Sorry. That’s just nonsense.

Reactions: moltenfire