Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Final payment + trade in question…pick up tmrrw!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pickup is tomorrow - Sunday. I’d like to bring a certified check. Banks are only open for a few hours today (Saturday). I can’t get ahold of anyone at Tesla.

1) who do I make the certified check out to? Tesla? Tesla, Inc.?
2) Website says to include reference number. My original order has an order number that starts with RN. Is that it?
3) accepted trade in but it has not yet been applied to my car price. Still showing negative amount due. Will that happen today??

Thanks in advance.

When I first submitted an inquiry about my trade in someone from Tesla called immediately and was so professional. Since then, I can’t ahold of anyone or get any answers. I learned everything I needed on this forum. I hope the car functions better than their support.

I hope the car functions better than their support.

This statement is like a magical, circular, self-fulfilling truth.

It's *because* of the driving experience that Tesla sells so many cars, and that's the reason their sales and support are lackluster - they haven't scaled with their growth and/or they can't keep up with the demand in their area.

That said, my personal experience with purchasing and support have been far better than any of the competition.

Sorry, I don't have specific answers to your questions... however it might be *much* simpler to just use their financing, then pay it off immediately after. That route would resolve all 3 of your questions.

Point taken. I am using Tesla finance. I had indicated I would make a down payment but after trade in acceptance, that down payment has disappeared from the finance section and it show negative balance due.

Im assuming that the trade in value will be applied to the car price in the next 24 hours before pickup. If so, I’ll need that check for that original down payment again…

Anyway, I just wish I could talk to an actual rep for 3 minutes

I did have a few short phone conversations throughout my purchase... it was 2 or 3 different people. Not sure where I got the number from, perhaps they texted it.

I never had a test drive. Never set foot inside a Tesla until I drove mine home 7 hours.
I never did a test drive either. Drove a friend’s Tesla. I’ve call the number in the text and left a message. Nothing

Point taken. I am using Tesla finance. I had indicated I would make a down payment but after trade in acceptance, that down payment has disappeared from the finance section and it show negative balance due.

Im assuming that the trade in value will be applied to the car price in the next 24 hours before pickup. If so, I’ll need that check for that original down payment again…

Anyway, I just wish I could talk to an actual rep for 3 minutes
Hi , the same thing happened to me (negative balance). I was afraid they would not apply the trade in correctly so I emailed [email protected] and they were able to apply it and now I have no balance due. I am also picking up tomorrow.

• Informative
Reactions: father_of_6
Hi , the same thing happened to me (negative balance). I was afraid they would not apply the trade in correctly so I emailed [email protected] and they were able to apply it and now I have no balance due. I am also picking up tomorrow.
Ive spoken to a rep 2x this morning and they’ve been trying to work on applying trade in to car but it has been several hours and nothing yet. Good grief. She said that they were actually going to give me a check tmrrw. I asked her to work on applying it to the loan instead but now I’m regretting it. I should have just left well enough alone. I guess it will work out one way or another.

I went through this about two weeks ago, I had a preapproval check from my bank for a set amount so brung that with me. On my check I needed to sign the front and back and needed to write the VIN, I don’t know what the process is for certified checks. Bring your trade in to Tesla the day of delivery, they will eventually deduct the trade offer amount, you won’t get a new purchase order reflecting the trade in amount.

Ive spoken to a rep 2x this morning and they’ve been trying to work on applying trade in to car but it has been several hours and nothing yet. Good grief. She said that they were actually going to give me a check tmrrw. I asked her to work on applying it to the loan instead but now I’m regretting it. I should have just left well enough alone. I guess it will work out one way or another.
That's what I was worried about, they would give me a check instead of deducting the trade in value for the loan amount. I love Tesla products but they do not hold your hand through the process. You really need to keep on top of everything and look out for your best interests. Same experience with solar/Powerwall install. This is not necessarily a negative as It one of the ways they are able to be so competitive. I saw that you were finally able to get it sorted out so hopefully all will go smoothly. I hope there are two more happy new Tesla owners come tomorrow!

Mt Kisco. Ze Google actually says 6 hours from where I live to Mt Kisco, but gas / bathroom / charging / etc... 7 hours.

I briefly considered buying from Mt Kisco too, since I could have taken Metro North from NYC.

There was a slight price premium for the model I wanted though. Now it makes sense why, if that's the closest pickup for all of upstate NY!!

We had similar issues. It was a nightmare on multiple levels involving our bank, our insurance, a “rep” and guy named Roberto that would only text. We had to drive to a dealership in Long Island ro trade in our car and they wouldn’t answer their phone, ever. I think I lost weight that week.