Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally got HW3 on my AWD LR M3 after 8 months

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered the upgrade mid-August 2019. A few times I asked the service center if they had HW3 upgrades ready yet and every time I was told "We will let you know." So I waited. And waited. I had a support issue so I called the 800 number and he helped me fix it (reboot, dummy). Before I got off, I asked him when HW3 would be ready for my car and he looked up my VIN and said, oh, yeah they already have it. So much for them letting me know. So anyway, I booked the service, dropped off my car and end of the day, I got it back. Looking forward to update 12.6 to have stop light detection and all that (they gave me 12.5), but so far the visualizations look more stable than before. I hope the camera videos get nicer, too.
It took 8 months for my purchase to arrive, looking back, I'm not sure I would've spent the cash then, and would've waited till it was available, but insight is 20/20 I guess. So if you are still waiting, don't wait for them to call you, keep checking.

VIN is 13xxxx range and I'm in SoCal, in case someone wants to check against when theirs might be available.

Bottom line, make an appointment once a month or so and see what the response is. I don’t see any indication they will ‘let you know’. We have a 3 and I’m waiting for Virginia’s stay at home status to clarify before checking on the HW3 upgrade.

I'm coming up on my 3rd month of doing this (and fully expecting a third cancelled appointment for no HW in stock)

What'd be nice is if when they notify you of this they give you a chance to change the date to a month further out, instead of just cancelling it- which requires you to reenter the entire set of info for the appointment.

(I mean- even nicer, would be not being out of stock on parts for months with no intention of providing a valid or useful ETA, but that's asking a lot I realize)