Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally got the drive a model 3!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Day 71 since configuration of white AWD. Have had an ISA for 10 days now. Last email from him yesterday said they were having some delays but I'm looking at weeks not months and I'm at the top of his list, not 100% sure what that means. Neighbors daughter was in town yesterday and she had the RWD version but all the same options. Driving it got me REALLY excited for mine. The acceleration wasn't overwhelming compared to my Rav4 EV but felt a little crisper and was a tiny bit quicker, full pedal acceleration left a little wiggle action opposite of what I feel on the FWD Rav4, I'm sort of hoping that goes away with the AWD (hopeful?). The advancement in the EV system and overall systems vs what I have now is astonishing. Yes the Rav4 EV is a compliance car with some really overlooked stuff but thats what I know and the model 3 is a WOW, can't wait.

This can't be right...

RWD version …. The acceleration wasn't overwhelming compared to my Rav4 EV but felt a little crisper and was a tiny bit quicker, full pedal acceleration left a little wiggle action opposite of what I feel on the FWD Rav4
Tesla Model 3 - Wikipedia
RWD LR - 5.1 seconds advertised (4.6 sec tested)
Toyota RAV4 EV - Wikipedia
tested 0-60 time of around 18 seconds

I don't know how any reasonable person can say "tiny bit quicker" when comparing 18 seconds to 4.6 seconds.

Depends on the driver. I know quite a few people who would never apply more than half throttle in either car and both would feel identical to them.
Perhaps, but were I one of those people I wouldn't comment on something I hadn't really tested.

"These exercise clothes aren't much different than my jeans. But I only tested them on the couch watching TV."

I got the same initial jolt as I do in the Rav4. As long as the tires don't spin, it gives a pretty good pull. the rwd model 3 does everything better than my Rav4 so don't think I'm saying the model 3 isn't impressive. I was expecting some kind of huge difference, based on others reactions, in pull and it was more, but not OMG I can't believe this, more. I don't know for fact but that 2 seconds faster 0-60 probably comes in the final 15-20 mph as the Rav4 underwhelms 45-60 aka passing acceleration. I'd imagine this will be even more apparent with the AWD.
Model 3 has only 10% more torque but 170% more horsepower so I think that makes sense

Last edited: