Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally happening! - 13kW Solar Roof and Four Power Walls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great to see the installation has started! I was amazed at how fast they got our tiles up.

Also, good to see that everyone has safety harnesses. The crew that did mine were real sticklers about safety. Each day they would start with a safety brief. And during the day, you might see the supervisor pulling a member aside and make them reduce slack in their line, etc. A few there look a little long.

Coming along...

20230317_113928.jpg

Update:

I got PTO from SDGE yesterday (4/30)! Timeline wise we had the city inspection on 4/11 after which Tesla submitted interconnection paperwork.
SDGE did comment that they had about 30,000 applications submitted near the NEM2.0 deadline so their backlog was massive. Still though 19 days really isn't bad.

Also below is a look at the equipment room. We ended up having four conduit runs that weren't needed. Originally Tesla said they needed a dedicated conduit per string. But when installing they said they could gang multiple strings per conduit.

Production wise the weather hasn't been great (very overcast) but we did manage to achieve a bit over 12kW peak a few days and I've noticed that total kWh produced has been more than enough to refill four depleted powerwalls with reserves set at 20%.

20230411_104515.jpg

Update:

I got PTO from SDGE yesterday (4/30)! Timeline wise we had the city inspection on 4/11 after which Tesla submitted interconnection paperwork.
SDGE did comment that they had about 30,000 applications submitted near the NEM2.0 deadline so their backlog was massive. Still though 19 days really isn't bad.

Also below is a look at the equipment room. We ended up having four conduit runs that weren't needed. Originally Tesla said they needed a dedicated conduit per string. But when installing they said they could gang multiple strings per conduit.

Production wise the weather hasn't been great (very overcast) but we did manage to achieve a bit over 12kW peak a few days and I've noticed that total kWh produced has been more than enough to refill four depleted powerwalls with reserves set at 20%.

View attachment 933500

Nice install! Congrats on getting things done without any major SNAFUs. Looks like you'll be ready for the upcoming rain/wind/fire/earthquake/drought/locusts/whatever calamity that will hit California next.

BTW, what is in the speaker box? 👀

Thanks @holeydonut.

Another great thing I've been noticing is how well Tesla balanced the two systems. I have 2x 200A subpanels each of which is being fed by its own gateway and powerwalls. So it's kind of like two separate systems which then tie back to the 400A main panel. The amazing part is that the two systems are almost exactly equal in terms of how much power they're being fed by the solar roof. The roof tile power generation of each system always seems to be within 5% of each other throughout the day. I'm not sure how much common or easy that is to achieve but I though it was kind of cool.

On and the speakers are Legacy Audio Silhouette Pro's. I'm going to power them with a Rotel RB-1582 MKII but for now they are all waiting patiently in their boxes.

Oh and one more thing about the install. I put an 80 gallon hybrid electric water heater in the same room as all the Tesla equipment I posted above. The room also houses all the house electronics, networking equipment, A/V rack, etc. All that gear can generate decent heat but my point with the hybrid electric water heater is that once I turned it on the cold exhaust from the water heater was able to bring the abmbient temperature down dramatically. Furthermore it pulls moisture out of the air!
It's like a symbiotic system where the water heater is scavenging all the hot air from the electronics/batteries while helping all the gear out by lowering temps and moisture levels.