Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally the right time to buy a Model S!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It will likely be one to two years before the new cars actually exceed the capabilities of the current. It will take some time, three to twelve months, to catch up and then a bit of time at that level before it goes a significant step farther. I've got two years of enjoyment on my P85D w/ AP1 so another two or three before trade-in which should be just about right.

Reactions: u00mem9
So for anyone that's been holding out on purchasing a Model S or trading up, NOW is finally the right time to do so.

And probably best to do so quickly. If you haven't noticed, the original top of the line Model S topped out at just over $100,000. Today, a fully loaded P100D is just shy of $170,000. Tesla's pricing increases have always been "because we can". And, people keep paying it. So before the next $10,000 "flip of the switch" software option comes, probably best to take advantage before prices go up again. I'd bet that once AP 2.0 is fully functional and approved, its price will be significantly higher than the current $8,000 price tag. I just wish I didn't have 2 1/2 years left on my lease!! Had I waited 6 months to upgrade, my order for a new one would have already been placed.

I agree with your analysis and you are right on the money with the new P100D :cool:

upload_2016-10-23_10-50-54.png

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
If Tesla doesn't make existing owners feel like they've missed out on new stuff every few months, they wouldn't be Tesla any more, they would just be a traditional car company that sticks with annual model changes, and procrastinates for years and years on incorporating new technologies into their cars

Reactions: ggnykk
When I got mine in 10-14, I totally lucked out because I got the AP1.0. No charge at all. Not even activation. I bought just about the top of everything and paid 131K before rebates. I thought that was high...Yes, the 100 has a lot more power and a nice bump in range. But I am totally happy with what I have and don't honestly feel like it's obsolete after these two years for me. @luvnMyTS makes a great point about the extra capacity not being a must have unless it allows us to skip a supercharger. Since I have an 85 battery, a 100 might allow me to do that. But for somewhere in the range of 20-30K more, depending on options? Not for me.

I really did worry that I would buy the car and I would regret it shortly after with the updates. I think that if I did not get AP1.0, I would be REALLY bummed. So I do consider myself very lucky. All by total chance. Certainly not by clean living!

For now, I really don't have a desire to have a level 5 autonomous car. I really do want to do my own driving. That's why I spent so much on the car to begin with! I do find AP very handy, especially in stop and go. The freeway is very nice, but not a necessity for me, though I use it a lot. I almost feel like I am paying even more attention and perhaps having a little more stress because it's not flawless by any means and I am not physically controlling the car. As a matter fact, the 2nd rev from 7.12 was the best version, by far for me. I find it to be noticeably inferior now, compared to that version.

Lastly, don't forget that while they may be installing the 2.0 HW now, it is going be quite some time before it is all activated. Now they have to deal with a gov't that has woken up to autonomous driving and they are regulate the living beejeesus out of it. It was much easier to just pop this stuff out into the market when nobody was paying attention.

When I got mine in 10-14, I totally lucked out because I got the AP1.0. No charge at all. Not even activation. I bought just about the top of everything and paid 131K before rebates. I thought that was high...Yes, the 100 has a lot more power and a nice bump in range. But I am totally happy with what I have and don't honestly feel like it's obsolete after these two years for me. @luvnMyTS makes a great point about the extra capacity not being a must have unless it allows us to skip a supercharger. Since I have an 85 battery, a 100 might allow me to do that. But for somewhere in the range of 20-30K more, depending on options? Not for me.

I really did worry that I would buy the car and I would regret it shortly after with the updates. I think that if I did not get AP1.0, I would be REALLY bummed. So I do consider myself very lucky. All by total chance. Certainly not by clean living!

I hope you bought a lottery ticket just after your purchase :cool:

Right time to buy. Unless you want to wait for the imminent launch of the rumored 100D plus ventilated seats, much faster MCU and auto presenting doors - detailed in another thread.

Coming soon ™

Or maybe just buy when you're ready.

• Funny
Reactions: Canuck
I'm with @CHG-ON I took delivery of my P85+ on 9/30/14. As we have seen, there continues to be improvements and added features ongoing with TM. Since there are no "product years" like other automotive manufacturers, these improvements are not predictable at all. I took delivery of a MS that had at the time the unannounced AP1.0. No one had heard of it, but there it was in my new car. P85+ was the top of the line fastest Tesla made... for about two weeks. Shortly thereafter the Ds were announced. Two years later, I don't regret any of this. That is how it goes. I plan on keeping my MS for at least 8 years. Why not? It is a great car and exactly what I bought.

I ordered mine almost 1 year ago and driving in a Texas has been amazing. I'm so glad I didn't keep waiting because like others, I'm not getting any younger and want to enjoy every day to the fullest. Even though I missed out on the updates in the Spring and only have 1.0 AP, I would do the same thing knowing now what was coming. Actually, I would have ordered 6 months earlier.

3 years from now, I'll buy a fully autonomous EV (likely from a Tesla) and I betcha there will be additional cool features not on the cars being built in 2016.

Reactions: Model S M.D.
Possible future things -

- Ventilated seats in non-P models

- inside door skins

- power doors

- higher density battery (more range fur same kWh).

- trailer hitch (unlikely)

Did they upgrade the CPU in the main screen this go around?
I'll add new paint (exterior) and interior leather options. Fingers crossed for a nice nutmeg/cinnamon brown leather option and perhaps even red.

I ordered my P85 in December 2012, fully loaded (at that time), for $104K.

Just configured a comparable performance 90D, with 10% more range, excluding AP, for $104K.

Adding AP increases the price up to $8K, which seems reasonable.

Overall, Tesla has maintained prices reasonably well. The entry Model S is still in the $60Ks - and you can get a Model S with 0-60 4.2 sec acceleration for around $100K.

The higher priced PxxD and PxxDL models are higher performance versions, that weren't available originally - and extend the Model S up to "supercar" performance.

We're planning to place an order for our second Model S soon - waiting for a 100D with AP 2.0, which should give us 20-30% more range, about the same (if not better) performance. And, we'll likely place the $8K bet that AP will continue to get better and may get at least close to self driving capability in the next few years.

Like CHG-ON, and Blu Zap, I looked into the S 85 in 2014 but for me it just was not time yet. I bought a lake house instead :) I am not wealthy, but we could not pass up a really good deal on it. :) So I spent the last 2 years working on fixing it up and making it livable. :)
Fast forward 2016 and jumped into the Tesla world with both feet. I no longer need heavily loaded Home Depot trips :eek: Made sure to get some big stuff ahead of time :D
2 months into ownership and AP 2.0 comes out. No regrets though, I love my S! And I cannot see a time where i would regret it. If I was still in the 'looking" phase, I would wait again for 2.0 and my Model 3 reservation to come in.

Reactions: Blu Zap
Although Tesla does come out with a new model, your vehicle is still well ahead of the curve. However, I am also a bit stumped as to how Autopilot can advance further, but I'm sure Tesla will surprise me yet again by their advances in technology. Food for thought! :)

I agree with most here that buying a Tesla will usually be shooting at a moving target in terms of technology improvements. That's why we opted for the buyback guarantee when we purchased this April. Our timing was based in some part to our most intensive travel use in the second quarter of the year.

We missed the facelift by less than a month, but I'm neutral on that since it would have added $1,500 to the price. AP2.0 would have added another $5,500, and it may be late 2017 to early 2018 before its capabilities are well beyond AP1.0.

I'm moderately pleased with our April timing as we got the buyback guarantee 3 months before it was abolished. I also think the mid-2019 buyback window time frame will be a good time to evaluate subsequent technology improvements. My rationale for taking the buyback is that a successful Model 3 rollout may crash the resale value of Model S.

AP2.0 might not be enough in and of itself to go for a new car in 2019. There is a possibility that new Gigafactory batteries might improve range or charging speed significantly.

As it turns out, the 90D battery is a very useful size for our personal travels. At the speeds we drive, Lone Pine and Harris Ranch are just within nonstop range from our home when fully charged. A 70 or 75 would not be, and an 85 would be a very close call requiring slower driving for comfort.