Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finding a CUV for the Wife in the US

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

geoffreak

Driving My Model 3
Dec 1, 2015
Dallas, TX
Sometime in the next year I want my wife to get a new car. She insists on having a new car before I get one since I got one last and I want a Model 3. Her only requirements are that the car is a crossover and that it has a backup camera. She really likes my mother's Subaru Outback and is hoping for something around that size (and especially that price). I'm really hoping I can get her something electrified because even though she doesn't care about car looks or driving experience, I think the Model 3 is going to blow any car we get her out of the water and she's going to regret it.

The options for Hybrids and PHEVs are extremely limited in non-compliance states like Texas, especially in the CUV segment. I can't afford (and don't want) a Model X, and even the luxury brand PHEVs seem to be be way outside of my price range. It looks like the Outlander PHEV could be the only option, but I'd really like to have some backup options in case she doesn't like it (especially some cheaper ones since it's supposed to be around $40k+ starting).

What really sucks is that the carmakers always put the Hybrid and PHEV trims as a top tier trim, so they always come with leather seats (and a premium price). My wife doesn't enjoy leather seats in cars (something about shorts and hot Texas summers) and would prefer to have a car with cloth seats. This might honestly be the biggest struggle in finding her a new car that is electrified.

I don't think I can convince her to go full EV at this point. Hybrids would be an acceptable compromise, but I'd prefer to get her a PHEV if at all possible. Her commute is about 5 miles round-trip (and will stay easily within 20 miles over the next few years if she changes jobs) and we have my car (a Subaru Legacy) for long trips, but she occasionally needs to take longer trips around the Dallas area and wouldn't want to play the EV charging game.

Anyone have any suggestions for cars that meet this criteria (or come close) and will be available to purchase as new within the next year? Ideally not to far from $30k in price would be best.

Last edited:
if you can wait, Outlander PHEV
if you can't wait, Toyota RAV4 hybrid (its not a plugin vehicle)

they are quite different cars, the PHEV shines for domestic duty, but for longer distances is not so special.
the RAV4 is more balanced and bland, the Mits PHEV has personality, but in a good way despite outward appearances. (What i mean is that the PHEV performance and fuel economy can improve by about 20% over standard use if the right nuances are used, ie regen, hold charge etc etc etc

Why not the Bolt, and stay off gas? It's supposed to have the higher seating position, hatchback opening, fold-down seats, and the interior volume of a Model S.

The BMW i3 may also work but at a higher price-point. Based on her driving distance she should have no problems with the lower range.

Last edited:
In 15 months there will be a Jeep PHEV with the same mechanicals as the Chrysler Pacifica PHEV. That should be here well before Model 3.

And will qualify for the full $7500 Federal tax credit. Unlike the Outlander PHEV which should qualify for $5419 of the Federal tax credit.

I felt like my Leaf sat a bit taller than your average compact sedan, but it is definitely not at CUV height. If she could handle it there are quite a few benefits: plentiful, cheap, and obviously a BEV. You can easily find them without leather.

I felt like my Leaf sat a bit taller than your average compact sedan, but it is definitely not at CUV height. If she could handle it there are quite a few benefits: plentiful, cheap, and obviously a BEV. You can easily find them without leather.

I don't think I can convince her to go full EV at this point. Hybrids would be an acceptable compromise, but I'd prefer to get her a PHEV if at all possible. Her commute is about 5 miles round-trip (and will stay easily within 20 miles over the next few years if she changes jobs) and we have my car (a Subaru Legacy) for long trips, but she occasionally needs to take longer trips around the Dallas area and wouldn't want to play the EV charging game.

That disqualifies the LEAF unless that "longer trips around the Dallas area" is less than 40 miles one-way.