Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fire extinguisher

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

m3gt2

Sep 14, 2015
england
Hi, as I will be using my tesla for airport transfers etc it is a requirement to have a fire extinguisher but I am correct in thinking that they won't work on an EV aren't I and can even make the batteries worse in the event of a fire?

I'm not sure what the regulations are but you would most likely want a fire extinguisher for general electrical fires to cover 12v issues. If the battery is on fire then I wouldn't be standing near the car and only the local fire service would be able to stop that fire

Reactions: m3gt2
It's not just the car - it's whatever's in the passengers luggage which may well be batteries and flammables too. For a bussiness purpose I'd play safe and ask local fire prevention officer and get it in writing.. then it's their fault:)

Any standard extinguisher is going to struggle to put a fire out with fuel from a petrol car. It covers off small fires, dropped cigarette, smouldering luggage etc. For an EV you're unlikely to make anything worse - though I'd avoid a water extinguisher and go for CO2 or dry powder - bear in mind dry powder goes everywhere. A loose fire extinguisher in a crash can be a major hazard, it will need to be well secured. The main HV electrics stay well clear of the cabin and you won't be able to flip the lid to get to the 'engine' bay like an ICE.

Maybe swing by your local firestation for a chat and some professional advice?

Certified fire extinguisher tech here (in the US, but these standards are fairly international)

Just get a standard ABC dry chemical fire extinguisher, and make sure it is securely mounted. Do not remove the tamper seal from the pin, or else you'll end up like this guy: PSA: If Transporting a Fire Extinguisher, Make Sure the Pin is Secure

As others have said, the fire extinguisher is for small fires in the cabin. No matter the vehicle type, once the fire is too large, there is nothing you can do but call the fire brigade. If your battery is on fire, get as far away from the car as you can.