Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla sales continue downwards trend in Europe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is another breakdown of the UK car sales in May 24
Points of interest....Tesla stays top with only two models, BMW 2nd but with four models in their range
Diesel sales continue their collapse
Petrol sales down slightly...but the biggest beneficiary are plug in hybrids...of course this benefits traditional automakers such as Toyota. I suspect the nervousness over battery vehicles combined with the fear of ULEZs being the driving force
Not quite sure why they still report Brand sales list and not groups.

VW Group are number 1 in the trailing quarter to May by the looks of things, by a fair distance.

The relentless bad press does have an effect, and people are short of cash so cheaper may have to do.

Won't stop fleet sales though.

3/Y is reasonable value. but definitely not a "good value".

up until Highland it had AWFUL sound insulation, interior for it's price is too cheap and rattily.
overall, tesla model 3 and model is is ~30k car with a bit better battery and motor for 50k...

you MG ZS is 30k for LR model (200 miles on motorway speeds)
MG4 EV is even better value.

unless we understand "value" differently
I think we might have a different individual value mindset. Personally I consider the MG’s to be generally poorer value than Tesla given how dreadful the interior quality was the last time I sat in an MG4. They might be less money, but that doesn’t make them better value, it just makes the cheap and nasty interior easier to justify!.

It’s always hard to generalise here though because different folks rightfully value different things differently 🙂

• Informative
Reactions: UkNorthampton
We have to remember Tesla/Elon’s ethos….this doesn’t stop at electrifying transport….it won’t save the planet if automakers continue to offer dozens of ranges of EVs each containing dozens of cars all made with wasteful production methods and all completely changed on a biannual basis.
This is where Tesla has to fight not just vested interest but consumerism itself….and legacy car makers are the experts on driving and exploiting consumerism.

I think we might have a different individual value mindset. Personally I consider the MG’s to be generally poorer value than Tesla given how dreadful the interior quality was the last time I sat in an MG4. They might be less money, but that doesn’t make them better value, it just makes the cheap and nasty interior easier to justify!.

It’s always hard to generalise here though because different folks rightfully value different things differently 🙂
MG isn’t just another Chinese car company….they are a state run company

3/Y is reasonable value. but definitely not a "good value".

up until Highland it had AWFUL sound insulation, interior for it's price is too cheap and rattily.
overall, tesla model 3 and model is is ~30k car with a bit better battery and motor for 50k...

you MG ZS is 30k for LR model (200 miles on motorway speeds)
MG4 EV is even better value.

unless we understand "value" differently
The difference from a 2023 M3P to my 2024 LR is night and day when it comes to sound insulation and ride quality. It’s not as good as some of the air suspension stuff I’ve had in the past but wouldn’t be fair to compare to them. I think it’s up there with other good coil suspension cars from the Germans. Hell I drove a new GLC recently and far better than that for comfort.

We have to remember Tesla/Elon’s ethos….this doesn’t stop at electrifying transport….it won’t save the planet if automakers continue to offer dozens of ranges of EVs each containing dozens of cars all made with wasteful production methods and all completely changed on a biannual basis.
This is where Tesla has to fight not just vested interest but consumerism itself….and legacy car makers are the experts on driving and exploiting consumerism.
This is indeed the issue of the human race really. We don’t buy things we need something new, we buy it because we want something new normally. Of course if we stopped this, lots of companies would fold and lots of us would lose our jobs. We have to keep that cycle going so only option is for it to be more environmentally friendly, that’s where recycling is going to have to come in more. The batteries for instance are hugely recyclable and if they can do that using clean energy, etc. then it’s not a big deal anymore for that component. Then I guess just other parts of the car need to follow a similar pattern.

The difference from a 2023 M3P to my 2024 LR is night and day when it comes to sound insulation and ride quality. It’s not as good as some of the air suspension stuff I’ve had in the past but wouldn’t be fair to compare to them. I think it’s up there with other good coil suspension cars from the Germans. Hell I drove a new GLC recently and far better than that for comfort.
Yes, highland is good in noise insulation aspect

Reactions: FastLaneJB
I’m on record as sharing this “good value” sentiment, but if the 3/Y is such great value, why do you think their market share is falling? It can only be the wrong product, or the wrong pricing, or both.

Regardless of value, it seems clear the current market wont pay the current price for the current offering, at least in the UK, no?
Lots of reasons, Tesla's market share isn't falling much if at all, depends on market and timeframes. The OP article was picking times and still wasn't convincing to me. April 2024 was "Down 2.3% since April 2023".
  • EV market is bigger than before - lower market share within a larger market is fine. I wouldn't like to have 100% of the falling diesel market.
  • More choice - many new models (BYD?) may have been ordered months ago and first flush of deliveries is often larger than steady state. When I got my Tesla, I couldn't find a more compelling choice. I did the "Tesla stretch", as many did. Now? Perhaps there are more choices. First EV for a family might be intended as a second car, with ICE as primary until ICE ends up gathering dust as is EV superior driving. That leads to people buying an MG4 first and then maybe next purchase is a Tesla
  • Shipping problems - possibly more ships arriving now - I don't track it nowadays
  • Uncertainty in economy/politics etc (especially UK)
  • FUD - some paid for on Facebook & other places
  • Wrong form-factor for many - I prefer our smaller EV when going into town as it's a lot easier to find parking, especially in terraced housing areas. Tesla fantastic for all other journeys or when I know parking won't be a pain.
  • People aren't doing the miles any more. Cheaper, lower range cars are fine. I used to drive a huge amount. Only a Tesla fitted my requirements at the time. Now people are horrified at the prospect of anything other than remote working. I was discussing a new project with a new client and asked (reluctantly) whether a visit was needed "God, I hope not" was the indignant reply. The others hadn't done any visits for years! Clients aren't routinely in offices, better to have everyone on video than a mix, trying to book a conference room.
  • Salary sacrifice / car allowance limits - more people at lower salary/allowance levels - EV market expanding
  • Insurance fears - group 50 out of 50
  • Media stories beyond FUD - personalities - misrepresentation etc
  • Too many similar-looking Teslas, too few ways to signal you're different or higher status - Norway had this for a while with earlier adopters until EVs seemed to go mainstream and Tesla was the obvious, dependable choice that just worked. If your employee drives a Model Y - how do you show higher status - VISIBLE options are limited to getting Performance with white seats, wheels. Company cars are big in many parts of Europe and there's a culture of maximising your budget - so you might get a worse vehicle (with option pack upon option pack) that everyone knows costs more. Tesla need more trims/options etc or people need to grow up.
New models based on 3/Y might be coming soon. As I've previously said a Model Y van like the one sold in France would be great for many courier/delivery jobs - especially near the increasing number of clean air zones in UK, France & elsewhere.

Last edited:
This is indeed the issue of the human race really. We don’t buy things we need something new, we buy it because we want something new normally. Of course if we stopped this, lots of companies would fold and lots of us would lose our jobs. We have to keep that cycle going so only option is for it to be more environmentally friendly, that’s where recycling is going to have to come in more. The batteries for instance are hugely recyclable and if they can do that using clean energy, etc. then it’s not a big deal anymore for that component. Then I guess just other parts of the car need to follow a similar pattern.
I agree….but I would like to add a caveat….now that the west has offshored nearly all of its manufacturing….this is the perfect time to reduce consumerism without affecting the economy..,in fact it won’t even unduly affect the retail trade as that is already being replaced by online shopping

• Funny
Reactions: Utumno
I agree….but I would like to add a caveat….now that the west has offshored nearly all of its manufacturing….this is the perfect time to reduce consumerism without affecting the economy..,in fact it won’t even unduly affect the retail trade as that is already being replaced by online shopping
It's all interconnected, drop economy in one country like China effectively there and it will impact others. Just because not as much is made in the west now doesn't mean their companies still don't have interests in that manufacturing. Sadly won't work, we have to keep buying things until the planet runs out of resources or we all die off, which ever comes first :)

It's all interconnected, drop economy in one country like China effectively there and it will impact others. Just because not as much is made in the west now doesn't mean their companies still don't have interests in that manufacturing. Sadly won't work, we have to keep buying things until the planet runs out of resources or we all die off, which ever comes first :)
It depends.....here’s a possibility for the future....the west finally reduces excessive consumption....this immediately affects the Chinese economy....China breaks up ......economic competition from the east will still be fierce and unbalanced....but it won’t be under an authoritarian government with a philosophy of world domination.

One aspect rarely mentioned here when discussing "value" is occupant crash safety. I may have no care for myself but when my wife and two children are involved, I willingly pay a premium for as safe a vehicle as possible. Call me crazy but it is at the top of my list when choosing a vehicle and always has been. On that metric Tesla does pretty well.
If it's 'top of your list' of criteria when choosing a car, why select a car which just does 'pretty well' rather than one of the top NCAP rated vehicles?

If it's 'top of your list' of criteria when choosing a car, why select a car which just does 'pretty well' rather than one of the top NCAP rated vehicles?
... and for all the China sniping that fills the internet ... top of the class according to this article is a Chinese manufactured vehicle (that I've never heard of before) ...

Well, in 2019 when we bought the M3P and 2022 when we bought the MYLR they were both rated among the best.

I was being cheeky when I referred to them as doing "pretty well" but I suppose the subtlety was lost on you.

It depends.....here’s a possibility for the future....the west finally reduces excessive consumption....this immediately affects the Chinese economy....China breaks up ......economic competition from the east will still be fierce and unbalanced....but it won’t be under an authoritarian government with a philosophy of world domination.
1717947530875.gif

• Funny
Reactions: Whyone
That’s a very good point. If you have to pay your own insurance, a Tesla is probably about the worst car to buy. It’s sort of crazy that at £40-50k small SUV is in the highest insurance group.
The insurance groups I think need a rethink and resetting. Cars have just got more powerful over the years and EV’s especially. A Model S Plaid or a Ferrari or something else stupidly fast is a Group 50, not a £50k SUV. Even though they are still quick compared to many years ago, there’s also a lot of stuff that’s quicker now.

That article only focuses on vehicles rated by Euro NCAP in the past 2 years, thus excluding any Tesla. Euro NCAP rated the Model Y and Model S right at the top in 2022 - those are the latest Teslas listed there. They rated the Model 3 in 2019. Latest Safety Ratings | Euro NCAP