Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA: If Transporting a Fire Extinguisher, Make Sure the Pin is Secure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SomeJoe7777

Marginally-Known Member
Mar 28, 2015
Houston, TX
fextrunk.jpg

I had always heard people say that an ABC dry chemical fire extinguisher, while highly effective at putting out a fire, will make a huge mess.

They were not wrong. :eek:

I recently moved, and the moving company would not transport pressurized canisters or other hazardous materials. I was transporting a few items they wouldn't move from the old house to the new house, one of which was a 5 lb ABC dry chemical fire extinguisher. Apparently the pin wasn't secure, fell out during transport, and then on a turn, the bottle slid and hit the side of the trunk with the lever handle, discharging it.

I did manage to clean this up 95% with a thorough vaccuuming, and then had Vive Auto Detailing here in Houston do an interior detail with carpet shampoo & steam. Good as new.

:( Sorry to see this. I really wish the tesla had tie down hooks like my past cars have had. Cramming stuff in the sub-trunk and tucking stuff around it isn't an acceptable work around for me.

Bingo. My previous four cars all had factory tie down cargo nets and hooks to hang items on. It is really REALLY cheap that Tesla did not at least put some anchor points in the back so that an aftermarket cargo net could eventually be offered for the car.

Reactions: Glamisduner
Bingo. My previous four cars all had factory tie down cargo nets and hooks to hang items on. It is really REALLY cheap that Tesla did not at least put some anchor points in the back so that an aftermarket cargo net could eventually be offered for the car.

sorry about the discharge!

I too miss tie down solutions...
I bought a couple of audi/vw
retractable pull down hooks,
but can’t seem to find safe
location for trunk anchor points?

anyone have a solution to a safe
area to mount something like these?

https://www.amazon.com/Grocery-Hanger-Volkswagen-Passat-1K5867615/dp/B07BJ1Y28G

Anything manage to squeeze past the grill up top and into the cab?

An entire cloud of dry chemical dust entered the cabin when it discharged and settled on every surface. I was able to vaccuum most of it, and wipe down the seats for most of the rest. The biggest portion was a large glut of it that had been blown into the crack between the trunk liner and the back seat, almost going under the back seat. I folded down the back seats and used a crevasse tool on the vaccuum and got most of that out. But I'll bet if the back seat is ever removed, there's probably some still left under there.

That UPS in the back is probably screwed. Dry chemical fire extinguishers are extremely corrosive to electronics.

UPS is toast, dropped it off at electronics recycling.

I keep an extinguisher in my vintage LandCruiser....its pin is always falling out.

This thread is incentive for me to peen that pin's end to keep this ever from happening to an irreplaceable gem...even if it's not an EV.

So sorry for that gawdawful mess you encountered!