Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firearm storage model 3 [and other firearms discussion]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting- I'm still seeing posts as late as fall 2019 saying it works... if there really was a HW change so that it doesn't I'm curious of the switchover date...

On the other hand I only see 1 comment on the video claiming it doesn't work anymore (from 6 months ago) and then one from 7 months from another guy that claims it didn't even work when the battery WAS dead... so that other 1 guy could've just had a bad connection as the 2nd person appears to have?
I mean the hardware change would be really simple to do. Just put a 12V NC relay on your wire to the exterior jump point. Wire the power for the relay to the terminals on the battery. As long as your 12v battery has charge, it'll keep the frunk opening wires from working. I'm sure Tesla had no problems integrating such a design. It already seems built into my friend's 2020. I might grab myself a 9V battery and test my 2019, see if it has it or not. Kind of a moot point for me here in Canada, we don't have the freedom to carry pistols around with us, and if we did, I'd conceal carry on my person. The frunk is probably too out of the way to be useful in a situation where I'd need one of my firearms for defense.

the one area where my F150 was awesome... deep deep center console where i could attach a holster inside and securely store my M&P Shield 9mm.

same gun barely fits into the Model 3 center console and certainly cant install a holster and instead have to put in at the bottom of the console...

if you carry unchambered (Israeli carry) - you better train your muscle memory REALLY well. remember: a basic safety already got cops killed because in the panic of the moment they forget to disengage the safety.... now add the need to rack the slide back and chamber a round first....

if you carry unchambered (Israeli carry) - you better train your muscle memory REALLY well. remember: a basic safety already got cops killed because in the panic of the moment they forget to disengage the safety.... now add the need to rack the slide back and chamber a round first....

Sometimes that sound is enough to preclude your need to use it!! :eek:

Reactions: GuyDude
Just an idea, but there could potentially be a safe that completely replace the armrest. It's ultimately an empty box.

715vSJA2EhL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Reactions: Watts_Up
But a properly handled firearm would never discharge while being loaded/unloaded.

Exactly right. But we know that people are human, and make errors. In fact, that's why many rules of proper handling exist - to reduce the chance of human error.

they may be rare but they do happen, do they not? It's better to be prepared for the .1% than not....

Not at all - you always have to balance the equation of how often, and how bad. If the logic you just expressed was right, and we did assume that not matter how rare, it's best to have your firearm ready to fire... then the rational thing to do is to carry with a round chambered, and the safety off, and the gun in your hand, and your finger on the trigger. This is the "most ready" position. However, we all realize this is foolhardy - the odds of unintended discharge skyrocket.

You have to figure how often it leads to accidents (and how bad) - versus how often it helps (and how much.)

You say it's better in .1% of cases... I say it's probably way less than 0.001%.

If you're in the mafia and opposed families currently have hits on you, maybe the odds of someone stalking you are high enough that keeping one chambered can be rationalized... but truth be told, they'll probably get the drop on you, and you'll never even draw, so chambered or not is irrelevant. Meanwhile, the number of safeties between you and unintended discharge are reduced.

isn't that the reason why you charge your tesla often? so you are ready to go whenever you need and not have to sit and charge it when you should be on the road?

If that were so, I'd always be charging it to 100%. But I'm not. I keep it below 70%, because that's safer for the battery than 90%, never mind 100%, and 70% is plenty the vast majority of the time. And I don't plug in again until I'm below 50%, unless I happen to know I plan to drive somewhere far in the next day.

I need a reason to take an affirmative action that has a downside - and "maybe will need," all by itself, is never reason enough.

Been using steel cable looped through the seat rail and micro safe for those times I cant have it on me. Same with model S.
Wish the aftermarket can come up with safe for arm rest, wouldn't mind spending a few hundred to know its bolted down and accessible like a truck arm rest.

Exactly right. But we know that people are human, and make errors. In fact, that's why many rules of proper handling exist - to reduce the chance of human error.

Not at all - you always have to balance the equation of how often, and how bad. If the logic you just expressed was right, and we did assume that not matter how rare, it's best to have your firearm ready to fire... then the rational thing to do is to carry with a round chambered, and the safety off, and the gun in your hand, and your finger on the trigger. This is the "most ready" position. However, we all realize this is foolhardy - the odds of unintended discharge skyrocket.

You have to figure how often it leads to accidents (and how bad) - versus how often it helps (and how much.)

You say it's better in .1% of cases... I say it's probably way less than 0.001%.

If you're in the mafia and opposed families currently have hits on you, maybe the odds of someone stalking you are high enough that keeping one chambered can be rationalized... but truth be told, they'll probably get the drop on you, and you'll never even draw, so chambered or not is irrelevant. Meanwhile, the number of safeties between you and unintended discharge are reduced.

If that were so, I'd always be charging it to 100%. But I'm not. I keep it below 70%, because that's safer for the battery than 90%, never mind 100%, and 70% is plenty the vast majority of the time. And I don't plug in again until I'm below 50%, unless I happen to know I plan to drive somewhere far in the next day.

I need a reason to take an affirmative action that has a downside - and "maybe will need," all by itself, is never reason enough.

I get your point but is it still not faster to have it chambered and ready holstered than not chambered? you're taking it a little far by saying finger on the trigger. I bet police officers carry chambered for a reason, even if the "finger on the trigger" in the "most ready" position. even if it shaves off a millisecond could mean the difference between it being you or the opponent.

You're also not seeing the point about charging. you charge it to 70% most of the time or all the time right? if you only need 10% to get to and from work, why don't you just charge to 10% daily? you charge it to 70% "just in case".

You're trying to make a point but it's not coming across very well. I am not sure what you are trying to get at.

If you don't feel like carrying a gun, don't. this thread is about firearm storage. Do you even own a firearm? I'm guessing you don't, judging by your response, therefore, you honestly have no say about gun storage. move on dude.

I usually dont carry full size so I'm not sure, but I can check for you when I get home.

S&W M&P Shield 2.0 .40 fits in the area in front of the cupholders

Have a safe in the lower area of the trunk cabled through the trunk latch(under the plastic trim) for when I need to leave it in the car....

sorry, its a mess down there

IMG_0259.jpeg

I know this topic has been discussed previously, but I still have not found any concrete answer or solution to storing a firearm in the model 3.

As a law enforcement officer I generally have my offduty carry on my person. While at training today, we had to secure our firearms in our vehicle since firearms and other weapons were not allowed due to what we were doing. Although the glovebox has a setting to be accessed through passcode, I would like a more secure solution. I ended up securing my firearm in my coworkers vehicle where he has a safe installed in the center console. Has anyone found any legitimate ways of mounting a safe (not a holster which has been previously discussed) in the center console or near the driver side area that easy is easily accessible and discrete. This is for times that are situationally based such as being at training like mentioned previously.

I look forward to hearing positive comments from all.
Is there a reason you can't secure it in the trunk or even front trunk? Valet mode keeps these locked even if someone has your key card.

Status
Not open for further replies.