Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firearm storage model 3 [and other firearms discussion]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand. But I never had this concern in an ICE car

Firing into the gas tank of an ICE vehicle would be a concern too.

I agree with other comments that there are no accidents when it comes to guns, just irresponsible people. If a person thinks there is a chance that they’re going to unintentionally discharge a firearm, then they shouldn’t be handling it.

Reactions: house9
Firing into the gas tank of an ICE vehicle would be a concern too.

I agree with other comments that there are no accidents when it comes to guns, just irresponsible people. If a person thinks there is a chance that they’re going to unintentionally discharge a firearm, then they shouldn’t be handling it.

Then why do armories have sand traps that the gun is pointed at when loading/unloading them? Only trained personnel are allowed to have guns, they have to be trained and certified on that model weapon before being issued one. They would still have an occasional discharge into the sand trap. This was with 1 person handling the gun while being supervised by a LT. No horseplay is tolerated.

The only people that don't make mistakes are those that don't do anything at all.

Then why do armories have sand traps that the gun is pointed at when loading/unloading them? Only trained personnel are allowed to have guns, they have to be trained and certified on that model weapon before being issued one. They would still have an occasional discharge into the sand trap. This was with 1 person handling the gun while being supervised by a LT. No horseplay is tolerated.

The only people that don't make mistakes are those that don't do anything at all.

I hate to keep pushing this thread off-topic. But, given that many EV owners lean left, I’d hate to leave anyone who doesn’t know about guns with the impression that responsible gun owners would ever find what you’ve said above to be acceptable or normal.

It is a good idea to point a firearm in a safe direction (like a sand trap) when loading and unloading. But a properly handled firearm would never discharge while being loaded/unloaded. I’ve handled firearms my whole life, and been around others who also regularly handle firearms. I’ve never seen anyone unintentionally fire a round. If I did, I would never want to be around that person again while they’re armed.

I hate to keep pushing this thread off-topic. But, given that many EV owners lean left, I’d hate to leave anyone who doesn’t know about guns with the impression that responsible gun owners would ever find what you’ve said above to be acceptable or normal.

It is a good idea to point a firearm in a safe direction (like a sand trap) when loading and unloading. But a properly handled firearm would never discharge while being loaded/unloaded. I’ve handled firearms my whole life, and been around others who also regularly handle firearms. I’ve never seen anyone unintentionally fire a round. If I did, I would never want to be around that person again while they’re armed.

I agree... I'm so paranoid that I don't even chamber a round when I CC. I know, what's the point, but i'd rather have it on me unchambered than for it to accidentally go off for any "accidental" reason. If you hurt someone, even on accident, at the end of the day it's your fault.

this is a thing:
Stances Regarding Regulation - The Liberal Gun Club

I'm not a member, but I would consider myself left-leaning in social issues, and I like guns. And I get really frustrated when politicians take a stance without having even basic knowledge of firearms. It totally destroys their credibility.

also, 44% of republicans own a gun, and for democrats, it's 20%. That's quite a lot of dems, IMO. As usual, the general public is not as partisan as the politicians make it seem.

The Fort Knox PB1 is a mechanical 5-button Simplex combo lockbox for pistols:
Fort Knox Original Pistol Safe (PB1) | FTK-PB

It has holes in the base so you can mount it to something. That leads me to think that it can be bolted securely to some part of the car's frame, most likely in the trunk.

this is a thing:
Stances Regarding Regulation - The Liberal Gun Club

I'm not a member, but I would consider myself left-leaning in social issues, and I like guns. And I get really frustrated when politicians take a stance without having even basic knowledge of firearms. It totally destroys their credibility.

also, 44% of republicans own a gun, and for democrats, it's 20%. That's quite a lot of dems, IMO. As usual, the general public is not as partisan as the politicians make it seem.

The Fort Knox PB1 is a mechanical 5-button Simplex combo lockbox for pistols:
Fort Knox Original Pistol Safe (PB1) | FTK-PB

It has holes in the base so you can mount it to something. That leads me to think that it can be bolted securely to some part of the car's frame, most likely in the trunk.

Well, that will fit in the frunk.

however.....

if you lock your gun in the frunk inside of a safe with a passcode.... why do you need it? I'm serious.

You won't be able to put a robbery on hold as you ask the offender to wait until you pop your frunk and put in your code to then get out your gun - point it at them and shoot them.

if you lock your gun in the frunk inside of a safe with a passcode.... why do you need it? I'm serious.

The context of this thread is a Law Enforcement Officer who carries his weapon and drives a model 3 who frequently goes to, as a job responsibility, training facilities where he cannot bring his gun and which do not provide secure storage.

Therefore, he must store in his car. He wants the storage to be convenient and non-obvious to others. (Someone observing should not think, "oh, he's stowing something valuable in back, maybe a gun safe.")

i CC unchambered, but dude is right, in a clutch situation even milliseconds count... imagine if a cop had to unholster, chamber, aim and fire...

Such clutch situations are as rare as quick-draw gun showdowns in the old west.

Note: quick-draw gun showdowns in the old west did not exist in reality. They were invented by writers of cheap western novels, and popularized in TV and film, but did not actually happen.

Well, maybe there was one. And one "clutch situation." But LEOs typically have plenty of time to prepare their weapon before approaching a situation. They usually call in their action before responding - and are usually called to actually respond in the first place. The "clutch situation" is 99.999% fantasy.

Such clutch situations are as rare as quick-draw gun showdowns in the old west.

Note: quick-draw gun showdowns in the old west did not exist in reality. They were invented by writers of cheap western novels, and popularized in TV and film, but did not actually happen.

Well, maybe there was one. And one "clutch situation." But LEOs typically have plenty of time to prepare their weapon before approaching a situation. They usually call in their action before responding - and are usually called to actually respond in the first place. The "clutch situation" is 99.999% fantasy.

they may be rare but they do happen, do they not? It's better to be prepared for the .1% than not.... isn't that the reason why you charge your tesla often? so you are ready to go whenever you need and not have to sit and charge it when you should be on the road?

Maybe this company can do something custom for you: https://www.conceal-pro.net/product...LwwxGlhk__LTZ1Yg6uGcfUVda_YCtQgQTSbt8ieUYZyNs

42bf75_205cf8c1ddac4922aadcaa9fc99f89e3~mv2_d_3024_3024_s_4_2.webp

ha ha, I see you're from Texas!

If you have somewhere to go that possibly requires a gun......

how bout just stayin at home?

I guess you never go out, Chicago leads the pack... sounds like they need some gun safes in your area too, maybe that would cut down on illegal gun ownership.

Screen Shot 2020-02-17 at 3.15.08 PM.png

Last edited:
Nope.

Works either way- plenty of videos on youtube if you care to check
Depends on the year of the car, didn't work on my friend's 2020. The owners manual clearly states it too for new Model 3's, check page 19: https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf

Older videos like this one are on the models without the protection in place, check the comments:

Regardless, the frunk is still way more secure than the cabin of the car, where a quick punch to the C-pillar window gains access to the car. A lot easier for the average thief to figure out too. A lot of people still don't even know the frunk exists, which is the best protection.

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Interesting- I'm still seeing posts as late as fall 2019 saying it works... if there really was a HW change so that it doesn't I'm curious of the switchover date...

On the other hand I only see 1 comment on the video claiming it doesn't work anymore (from 6 months ago) and then one from 7 months from another guy that claims it didn't even work when the battery WAS dead... so that other 1 guy could've just had a bad connection as the 2nd person appears to have?

Status
Not open for further replies.