Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.2 Audio Enhancements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The way you describe is the only way I've seen as a work around. What was mentioned in another thread, and what I added as an option in my app was to (in addition) append the artist in the title tag so that the info isn't lost, but that is still pretty lame since sometimes the title already mentions the artist. I guess I could only append the artist if the name didn't already appear in the title. Either way, I hate messing with the tags when the stuff should really just work.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say that what I describe is the only way you've seen as a work around. What I describe doesn't work. All it does is keep the artist information for each track on the USB drive, but it isn't displayed anywhere in the car. Appending the artist name to the title isn't a good option, as the Model S already doesn't show much of the title if it is long.

So it sounds like there really isn't anything to be done.

Meant that copying the album artist field to the artist field, as you mentioned, was the only method I've seen that will make the S keep the album together.
Appending the artist to the title was the follow-on dirty hack to give some shot at still seeing the artist. The title should scroll to show the whole thing (but don't recall right now if it never does, or was just flaky and sometimes does)

So far as I know, we're stuck with this till Tesla updates their player or adds the android/apple car interfaces.
Edit: and probably shouldn't have mentioned the android/Apple interfaces. Much as I want them for other sources and options, don't think they'll do anything about correctly dealing with a USB fob or drive plugged into the S. Tesla really needs to give their app some more attention.

Last edited:
Meant that copying the album artist field to the artist field, as you mentioned, was the only method I've seen that will make the S keep the album together.
Appending the artist to the title was the follow-on dirty hack to give some shot at still seeing the artist. The title should scroll to show the whole thing (but don't recall right now if it never does, or was just flaky and sometimes does)

So far as I know, we're stuck with this till Tesla updates their player or adds the android/apple car interfaces.

Ahhh, OK. Got it!

Thanks.

I think a pretty useful utility (if someone with the skills to write it was inclined to do so) would be a Model S audio tag emulator.

I'm constantly finding things on the USB drive in the car that I want to change, so I have to take the USB out of the car and change the tags on the tracks, etc, change the folder name, and then put the USB back in the car to make sure I'm now seeing the behavior that I'm hoping for. A program to let me see how the car would read the USB without having to actually have the car involved would be very useful. Bonus points if this program could also be set to look for potential tagging problems, and highlight them for you. No need for this program to replicate what Mp3tag does as far as fixing the tags--Mp3tag works fine for that.

Is there any good way to tag files that are part of a compilation album, such that the Tesla only shows the album in the album list once, but does show the correct artists associated with each song on the album while the song is being played? I believe the "correct" way to do this would be to have the "Album Artist" tag on each file set to something like "Various Artists" and to have the "Artist" tag for each file set to the different individual artists.

I know of no way to do this other then modifying the tags to remove all distinctions among the artists in the compilation, as you tried to do, which I think just creates a bigger problem than it solves. I think your "correct" way works so long as all songs having the same album name, and with a blank field for album artist gets grouped together. I'd like to see Tesla do a few things: (1) give a user the option to prevent the media player from filling in missing metadata from the Internet. I can't begin to describe how the media player has screwed up my browsing system by filling in album metadata that I had intentionally removed from the file because I didn't want it there, plus they can't even get the album and album art right most times, anyway; (2) recognize the album artist tag, as you mentioned, plus the "Composer" tag. I've tagged Paul McCartney, John Lennon etc. solo stuff with as Beatles "Composer" so that if I want to I can listen to all those songs in the same playlist, the same with tagging "Eric Clapton" as the composer for all Cream, Derek and the Dominoes, Immediate All Stars, etc., Pink Floyd as the composer on all David Gilmour or Roger Waters songs, and so forth (3) they need to let you browse from Album as a top-level hierarchy selection AND from artist to Album.