Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A bit OT but I think we would really benefit from splitting out the 8.0 discussions by topic. Right now this thread seems to be a confusing mess of
  • People trying to figure out the 8.0 rollout pattern / trying to get the update sooner
  • People complaining about the USB media issue
  • Various UI gripes like the nav stickiness
  • AP differences/improvements

It seems like each of those can sustain a thread and right now they're kind of trampling over each other.

pic
They F**kin' took the amps and volts off the IC and CID when supercharging! It was in the Beta, but now it only shows mi/hr, kWh, and kW. No amps. No volts.

They F**kin' took the amps and volts off the IC and CID when supercharging! It was in the Beta, but now it only shows mi/hr, kWh, and kW. No amps. No volts.

That is disappointing - maybe that's how they plan on eliminating all the calls they're getting this year about sub-par supercharger performance - hide it? The easiest way for me to tell it was time to unplug and move to an adjacent charger was monitoring the amps.

I assume that for now it is still visible in the phone app?

EDIT: Is that KW an instantaneous or average reading?

Mike

Last edited:
Certainly a Slow rollout. Virtually no deployments of 8.0 during the evening of 9/24 and morning of 9/25.
I am betting on a new version being built before the gates reopen.

So far according to the Firmware Tracker, 550 active Firmware Tracker Users deployed and reported on 2.36.31 (the security patch).
So the 550 number represents the active users now on EV-FW.com.

of that number, 96 have deployed 8.0 so we have about 17% of the active EV-FW.com users having received and installed the 8.0 code over the last 3+ days.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
pic

I understand this change. So many people reporting concerns about low voltage when it's a function of SOC. kW is really all that's necessary. It makes it more difficult to reverse engineer pack configs though.

A bit OT but I think we would really benefit from splitting out the 8.0 discussions by topic. Right now this thread seems to be a confusing mess of
  • People trying to figure out the 8.0 rollout pattern / trying to get the update sooner
  • People complaining about the USB media issue
  • Various UI gripes like the nav stickiness
  • AP differences/improvements

It seems like each of those can sustain a thread and right now they're kind of trampling over each other.
This is typical of every rollout in every "Firmware x.xx" sticky when it first starts out. The first bullet will eventually drop out and the rest are legitimate topics for the thread in my experience.

Certainly a Slow rollout. Virtually no deployments of 8.0 during the evening of 9/24 and morning of 9/25.
I am betting on a new version being built before the gates reopen.

So far according to the Firmware Tracker, 550 active Firmware Tracker Users deployed and reported on 2.36.31 (the security patch).
So the 550 number represents the active users now on EV-FW.com.

of that number, 96 have deployed 8.0 so we have about 17% of the active EV-FW.com users having received and installed the 8.0 code over the last 3+ days.
To this point, this is the slowest major rollout I've ever seen but Elon did say it would be slow. I would have thought it would pick up day over day but no such luck yet.

• Informative
Reactions: Lex
Really? How does it fix it for someone without a smartphone, or with a non-Apple smartphone? Nope, they need to develop their own system so that it is available to everyone.
I think Google has its own version of this technology so both would have to be available. Tesla has proven they don't have the capability or motivation to fix these things over 4 years. Yes, people would need a smartphone.

But if you want to drag either Nav or the rear camera to the bottom half of the touchscreen, they do not 'stick' if you launch another app. Before, you could launch an app by tapping on the symbol. This would open the app in the upper view pane. Tap again to make it disappear and revert back to the proper arrangement (...in my case, Nav up/camera below).
You have always been able to launch an app in the window you prefer by pressing on the app icon for a moment so that the drop down choices show and then drag the icon to the lower choice if you wanted it at the bottom of the screen. Is that still possible?
i'm on 8.0 and the app/window behavior takes some getting used to. Nav wants to "sticky" on top. If you don't have Nav open it will open in the top. If you do have Nav open, clicking another app will open it on the bottom instead of the top. To make Nav go away, you have to swap it to the bottom, then open another app to replace it.
I routinely keep nav on the bottom and the camera on the top. I am sure that is still possible.

Reactions: davidc18
You have always been able to launch an app in the window you prefer by pressing on the app icon for a moment so that the drop down choices show and then drag the icon to the lower choice if you wanted it at the bottom of the screen. Is that still possible?
I routinely keep nav on the bottom and the camera on the top. I am sure that is still possible.
Yes on both counts. If you quick-press nav, it defaults to the top, and everything else defaults to the bottom.

• Informative
Reactions: Lex and davidc18
Drove about 200 miles yesterday with 8.0. Here are some thoughts

AP vastly improved in all conditions that I could test. We have both asphalt and concrete highways. 7.1 would often lose the lane markings on the concrete sections because there wasn't enough contrast. In the rain 8.0 never lost a line and was much better tracking surrounding cars. TACC responds much more like a human and lane changing is smoother and quicker. Nags do seem a little more frequent but I typically rest a couple of fingers or my hand on the wheel and there were no nags. I tested it hands free (always alert and ready to take over) all of the way until it warned enough to disable. The CID halo warning is absolutely great. Gets your attention for sure. I would say AP is 30% 8.0 over 7.1.

Navigation takes some getting used to with the auto zoom functionality. I would like it if there were a way to toggle that off. I didn't test it thoroughly but I'm not seeing a huge improvement.

What I don't like is the little lock top left when things go full screen. I'd rather the buttons just stay up there all of the time.

No noticeable change to the feel of regeneration.

Was the second hand on the clock always red? For some reason I never noticed that before.

Steering selection (normal, comfort, sporty) seems to be "tweeked" in the sense that I can tell more of a difference now between them.

Media is better for me. A lot has been written about it. My phone is mounted just left of the display usually running Waze on top, BT for music using either Amazon or MP3 in the background (this way I get audible alerts for incidents and police). That all works perfectly. Occasionally I use Slacker and I do like the way the stations are listed much better than they were before. I don't use radio or TuneIn so can't really comment on that. Overall though I think media is considerably better.

I went to a SC and did notice no volts/amps mentioned by Ingineer. That is too bad but I understand why.

Great job Tesla. I for one really appreciate the constant drumbeat of progress to my car.

took the amps and volts off the IC and CID when supercharging! It was in the Beta, but now it only shows mi/hr, kWh, and kW. No amps. No volts.
I can understand why Tesla did that. The vast majority of owners are confused by electricity and the various units. When it comes to charging the car and viewing the state of charge, the simplest approach is to just think in kWh. It's obviously not a perfect analogy to a gallon of gas, but there are similarities. A kWh and a gallon of fuel are units of energy that will move your car a certain distance.

kWh are the future of energy. Time to start thinking that way. Obviously you are far more sophisticated technically than the vast majority of the populace, so you want to see amps and volts. I understand that.