Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

first around the world EV race starts May 2012

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A hell of a journey.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346586806.959895.jpg

Strictly speaking, east-to-west, he made have just made it. Too close to see whether his easternmost drive met up with his westernmost drive. Have to check GPS...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346586852.635823.jpg

Strictly speaking, east-to-west, he made have just made it. Too close to see whether his easternmost drive met up with his westernmost drive. Have to check GPS...

I so wanted this to work...

According to the public KML published (disclaimer: I did the original work to publish this from OVMS data with Rafael), but have kept the below analysis to just the public KML records:

His most easterly point as he left Europe was 51.406368N, 12.242610E (Leipzig/Halle Airport (LEJ), 04435 Schkeuditz, Germany).

The accident seems to be near 47.827028N, 12.647771E (83313 Siegsdorf, Germany 7.6 m E).

After having driven 22,821km, with 167 charges on three continents, a dozen countries, he comes up 32.25 km short.

Perhaps his initial tweet of 'noooooooooo!!!!!!' was not too far off the mark.

Rafael-togo.png

I don't like videos capturing a Roadster crash, the sound of snapping carbon fiber.... <my heart sinks>. Let alone this milestone that was so close to being met. However its nice seeing he walk away from that and the roadster didn't take all that much damage for the velocity and forces encountered. I hope the frame is fine and its repairable.

@wiztecy - Emotional concerns aside w/r/t this particular vehicle I agree. In fact, for customer vehicles I generally agree. But videos from crash tests are a different beast; love to see more of those.

From his website:

2.9.2012 After 22.821 km of driving through desert sandstorms, heat till 53°C, baddest roads on earth and thunderstorms, the electric car reaches Germany and crashes into a car accident close before the finish line.
Nothing could stop the car from driving and now Rafael de Mestre is standing beside the rests of his car.
3.9.2012 Tesla service gives the first infomation that the car can be repaired, but it will last about 3 weeks in normal case. The insurance company Basler and Tesla will try to work together to accellerate the procedure of motor vehicle assesment ...