Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Car Wash of Brand New M3 (Covered in Micro-Scratches)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I don't know if this is normal are not but I just got a 2020 M3 like a month ago and just took it to get a hand wash down the street and now its completely covered in these micro-scratches pictured below. Has any else had this happen to them and what are the solutions. I live in Austin, Texas so if there is anyone that has recommendations on a good place let me know!

60108321074__8A8B2A36-B2BA-4CAA-8015-AEDEA6A1D366.JPG

From the pics and your description, I think the only way to get rid of those scratches is to do a paint correction with a Dual Action Polisher, a cutting pad, and a polish, a compound, or a one-step type product. If you have never done this type of paint correction before, you may want to have a professional detailer do it.

If you want to try it yourself, I have used and recommend these user-friendly products. As a rule of thumb, you want to start with the least aggressive product and only move on to a more aggressive product if the first one did not work.

Meguiars Ultimate Polish - a consumer-level polish that would be among the less aggressive options.

Meguiars Ultimate Compound - more aggressive than the polish.

If you use a compound, you usually have to do a 2-step correction. First, you have to compound the paint and then you have to do the second step by using the polish to remove the marring induced by the compound.

Once I did a one-step correction using this product and it worked well (and saved time):

VSS One-Step Scratch & Swirl Remover Compound Polish |

Good luck!

• Helpful
Reactions: MarkBrokeIt
My M3 had lots of scratches at delivery in December. I used the Meguiars products joebruin mentioned with a porter 7424 buffer/ polisher to remove them. When I wash my M3 I pre-soak and then use a two bucket method washing either top to bottom or cleanest to dirtiest panels (doors, hood, top, back/ trunk, front bumper, rockers). There are many good videos on youtube on washing your car

Reactions: joebruin77
Hello,

I don't know if this is normal are not but I just got a 2020 M3 like a month ago and just took it to get a hand wash down the street and now its completely covered in these micro-scratches pictured below. Has any else had this happen to them and what are the solutions. I live in Austin, Texas so if there is anyone that has recommendations on a good place let me know!

View attachment 501935

I live in Austin too. Where did you take it? Could be they washed or dried it with a dirty rag. Many of these places have zero concern for your paint’s finish.

I can recommend my mobile detailer if you need a paint correction. I’m guessing it won’t be cheap tho.

That sucks.

Yes, it can be fixed with paint correction. If you've never done it before and don't care to spend money on equipment or waste time as a DIY, just pay a professional.

I promise you those scratches were present when you picked up the car; just bad (or good) lighting.

When I picked up mine, there was a college age kid wiping them all down. With a standard rag and no lubricant. SCRATCH CITY!

Hello,

View attachment 501935
Just because the wash says "hand wash" doesn't mean it's safe. They re-use rags ALL the time, and I believe they are not even microfiber towels. They have to put these through the dryer and it hardens up these drying towels putting wear and tear. It's basically sandpaper by the time it gets to you.

Only way to remedy this is to wash it yourself after you get an expensive professional detailer to remove those scratches.

Another reason NEVER to go to just any car wash.

Oh, I see you typo'd. It's "NEVER go to ANY car wash"

My wife and I, both 75+, back the cars up, pull out three gallons of distilled water, put them in the sprayer and spray. After heavy dirt is off, light wiping with a baby diaper to dry the water off makes it shine, as old wax is usually still good. Fifteen minutes, no scratches.

And we don't use soap. As the wax wears off, a light touch with turtle wax spray makes it slick again, where needed. Been doing this for three Teslas, total of 6 years, all still look brand new. And we have quality time together.

Oh, I see you typo'd. It's "NEVER go to ANY car wash"

Well, I was trying to be conscious of people's busy schedule & lives + there do exist some good touchless car washes & hand car washes out there in every town.

But it does require each owners due diligence.
You can't just throw your car @ any go-fast corner wash.

How disappointing for you. Hope you get the marks removed. I picked up my Shirleypearl, 2020 M3 S+ Dec5 in Toronto, drove her home to Kingston,kept her safe inside until I gave her a coat of 10H Diamond Ceramics. She looks gorgeous and so exciting to drive,too! Also coated door seals with rubber protectant.

From the pics and your description, I think the only way to get rid of those scratches is to do a paint correction with a Dual Action Polisher, a cutting pad, and a polish, a compound, or a one-step type product. If you have never done this type of paint correction before, you may want to have a professional detailer do it.

If you want to try it yourself, I have used and recommend these user-friendly products. As a rule of thumb, you want to start with the least aggressive product and only move on to a more aggressive product if the first one did not work.

Meguiars Ultimate Polish - a consumer-level polish that would be among the less aggressive options.

Meguiars Ultimate Compound - more aggressive than the polish.

If you use a compound, you usually have to do a 2-step correction. First, you have to compound the paint and then you have to do the second step by using the polish to remove the marring induced by the compound.

Once I did a one-step correction using this product and it worked well (and saved time):

VSS One-Step Scratch & Swirl Remover Compound Polish |

Good luck!
I wouldn’t go straight to a compound. Always use the least aggressive means first. Start with a mild polishing pad and some polish. If you are serious about doing it yourself its not that hard. Go to a site like autogeek and read up. Get a DA polisher, you can’t screw up to bad with a DA unless you ate leaning full weight on it with a dry pad on tour paint or something.

How disappointing for you. Hope you get the marks removed. I picked up my Shirleypearl, 2020 M3 S+ Dec5 in Toronto, drove her home to Kingston,kept her safe inside until I gave her a coat of 10H Diamond Ceramics. She looks gorgeous and so exciting to drive,too! Also coated door seals with rubber protectant.
What the heck is a M3 S+???? Do you mean a SR+. People keep making up their own acronyms and its getting confusing.