Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Colorado Supercharger location confirmed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got an email from Tesla today about the opening at Silverthorne. Excerpt below:

We are excited to announce our second Supercharger location in Colorado. This newest addition to the Tesla Supercharger network will open Thursday, October 3rd in Silverthorne, CO. To commemorate this important milestone for Tesla and our Colorado community, we would like to invite you, your family and your friends to attend the ribbon cutting ceremony and celebrate with us.

When:
Thursday, October 3rd at 10am

Where:
Silverthorne Supercharger
309 Rainbow Drive
Silverthorne, CO 80498
(In the Outlets at Silverthorne Green Village next to Under Armour)

I hope to make it there on Thursday Morning!

If you have performance tires like me, get home early. From OpenSnow.com:

+ The storm will focus most of its precipitation on the northern half of Colorado. This means decent snow from about US50 (Monarch Pass, Gunnison) north to the Wyoming border. The San Juans will see much less precipitation.

+ Precipitation will start between 6pm and midnight on Thursday night, fall heavily for a few hours overnight as the front moves through, then will linger as off and on showers during the day on Friday. All precipitation should end by Friday evening.

+ It will be cold enough for snow above 6,500 feet for most areas by about midnight Thursday night and lasting through Friday. Saturday will be dry but cold for this time of year. Temperatures will warm about 10-15 degrees on Sunday.

+ Snow will accumulate about 2-4 inches as the cold front passes on Thursday night. Expect another 2-4 inches during the day on Friday in off-and-on snow showers. The San Juans will likely see just an inch or two for each time period, while areas further north along I-70, up to Steamboat, and along the northern divide at Eisenhower Tunnel, Berthoud Pass and Rocky Mountain National Park and Cameron Pass could see 3-6 inches each period.

+ Total accumulations by Friday evening could be just an inch or two in the San Juans (perhaps a bit more in northern areas like Red Mtn Pass and Telluride), about 4-8 inches for central areas, and perhaps 6-12 inches locations along and north of I-70.

Take look at Silverthorne Supercharger. Silverthorne is on the list, but not on the map at the Supercharger page. However, it does show up on the map in the MS:

Map-Silverthorne.JPG

Last edited:
Did anyone go to the Silverthorne ribbon cutting today?

Great morning event with beautiful fall color. See picture below. 12 S's and 1 R filled up all of the charger locations and the extra spaces in the area. The Supercharger fans were making some noise in behind their fence. Find the nose of the R peeking out between two big S's...

Silverthorne-Ribbon-cr.png

From right to left, Tesla PR guy, mayor of Silverthorne, and Silverthorne Outlets Rep. My Signature Red S is hiding behind the Tesla Guy. This was by far the most S's that I had seen in one place.

Big news is that the Xcel Energy guy let it slip that the next Colorado Supercharger site is Grand Junction. That is great and will remove any range anxiety across the Rockies even for a 60!
  • Silverton to Glenwood - 90 miles
  • Glenwood to Grand Junction - 87 miles
  • Grand Junction to Green River, UT - 102 miles

After chatting with many for an hour or so, I had 261 miles in the battery and a charge rate of 6 mph, so headed off to home in Pagosa Springs. After a detour of 7 miles to say hello to a friend in Salida, and 20-30 mph headwinds for over 75 miles in the San Luis Valley and up Wolf Creek, I arrived home as the miles left changed from 0 to "Charge Now." Don't worry, I had multiple places to top off if needed, and knew very well about the hidden 17 mile reserve, but that is still the closest that I have ever cut it. With normal winds and no detour, the non-stop from Silverthorne to my place west of Pagosa is a sure thing. Note the little red portion of the battery; I think that is the hidden 17 miles. Trip A is the day's total driving from Boulder. SW Version 4.5

In Pagosa-cr.jpg

IMHO, if we're going to start referencing this we should probably say 10 mile. And even that 10 might be tight in bad weather.

Most properly, "17 rated miles"; your milage may vary. For example, the last mile to my house climbs 650 feet. At 6 rated miles per 1,000 feet, that is 4 rated miles. I had 5 rated miles left as I started that last real mile. 1 real mile plus 4 altitude equivalent miles equals 5 rated miles. Perfect calculations for my rated miles going from 0 to "Charge Now" at the garage. Take a look at the energy graph on the right... I use an app on my iPhone that gives me GPS altitude. I was doing my calcs to see if I could make it home, corrected by 6 miles/1000ft difference to home. This kind of calculation is not so important in many places, but vital when you go up and down 1,000's of feet in the Rockies.

We all need to understand that "rated miles" are just another measure of energy. The energy needed to cover a real mile can vary wildly depending on conditions such as rain, fresh snow on the road, head/tail wind, driving speed, altitude gain/loss, etc.

Lastly, I have done this run into Pagosa 10-12 times and, only with that experience, was I willing to cut it this close. :wink: Besides, as I said, I had multiple places to top off the battery if it got too close for comfort.

Arrived at Silverthorne Supercharger tonight with version 5.6 in my MS and 13 miles in the battery. I was expecting to see the mythical 120 kW charge power. On both 4B and 3B, with no cars on 4A or 3A, all I got was 90 kW. Even though Silverthorne is a relatively recent install, it looks like it can only do 90 kW or 250 Amps... :eek:

90kW.PNG