Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First company to make EV charging stations like they do gas stations will win...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like I said, it's close, but not ideal.

Let's say that a Hyundai Ioniq5 pulled up to this site and it was as full as it is, except for the car I circled:

View attachment 910105

It's charging port is on the right rear. How are they going to charge?
If it is full, the Ionic might have to wait or use the outside lane show in this picture.

But there is no doubt any such arrangement in the US would have larger spacing and longer cables to handle the CyberTruck, EV Hummer, etc. and other large EVs. The spacing on this setup was designed with the Model X being a huge vehicle for Europe, rather than a moderate sized American SUV.

If it is full, the Ionic might have to wait or use the outside lane show in this picture.
Which unlike a gas station, might be a significantly longer wait. Also unlike a gas station (or the setup I showed), if there is an open stall, you can easily get to it and use it regardless of where your charge port is.

But there is no doubt any such arrangement in the US would have larger spacing and longer cables to handle the CyberTruck, EV Hummer, etc. and other large EVs.
I would say there is plenty of doubt until we actually see it start to appear on a regular basis rather than an exception. I do think it eventually will happen, and as the OP said, the first company to make it happen (provided they also have reliable charging stations and reasonable pricing) will win. In the meantime, Tesla and others still seem to regularly cram stalls into regular parking spots with little or no space between them, except for the occasional stall that is actually set up nicely for a Cybertruck/Hummer, but usually only because they were trying to squeeze in one more stall into an awkward parking lot, so you wind up with a nice big stall or two, like this one in Gettysburg:

247468e0-eea1-42cc-9f3d-9fdb882bcbb9-jpeg.589621

While even in the case of pull-in sites, we still get these kinds of things (St. George, SC):
349a7813-0e6f-4b51-8a27-18266ab2c8ab-jpeg.705176

And here's a fun one to figure out which stall belongs to you (Asheville, NC):
cd58b900-76c2-499b-ae16-33c08d21cee0-jpeg.657664

Now interestingly, this one would actually work well with charge ports placed in odd locations, but you'd technically be using the "wrong" pedestal, so the person on the other side might not be able to charge if they had a "different" charge port location than you.

And I shouldn't pick on Tesla. This is my local EA station:
380108.jpg

They sort of had the right idea here, and this works pretty well for cars that have their charge ports within the wheelbase area, but not so much on a Tesla where the charge port is at the extreme rear of the car. We took our Model Y there to test our CCS adapter and no matter which cable or station (the one facing the spot or the one facing the other way) it was a challenge to get it working. We ended up having to pull the car forward quite a bit (and out into the travel lane) in order to plug in.

Meanwhile gas stations allocate huge amounts of real estate to their pumps:
gas-station-construction-company.jpg

Maybe they can get away with this because the throughput of gas pumps is much higher than charging stations (and, they pretty much have to given the variation of fillers being on the left or right side of cars). And they also have quite universally adopted covering the pumps with canopies, not just for convenience sake, but also for safety (notice all the fire suppression tubes in the canopy).

And it's also a function of who owns what.
Gas stations are typically buying a whole plot of land.

Tesla has seemingly started doing this in some places, but in others it's limited to leasing spots off local govt/councils, or mall operators or hotels etc and fitting in with their existing carpark layout, and where you can get power at a reasonable cost.

As larger sites become the norm I expect we will see more options.