Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First company to make EV charging stations like they do gas stations will win...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...in my opinion. I'm talking pull-thru stations, open 24 hours, with food and amenities available. Buc-ees are the closest to do it. All they need is to design the EV charging like their fuel stations. I always prioritize for Buc-ees because they have guaranteed amenities and it's just more convenient and relaxing. I don't understand why EVs are being treated like automotive step children. We spend money just like ICE drivers do, and potentially moreso since we are likely to be there for longer than an ice vehicle. More ability to advertise....

TLDR: Convert existing gas stations to EV charging, but keep everything else the same. I will prioritize you over some SC in the back of an abandoned mall.

Reactions: RTPEV
For the majority of drivers, charging at home is the most convenient.
or using L2 chargers when doing grocery shopping or other errances.

However, when travelling, or people not able to charge at home, those drivers need to find a Supercharger
similar to a "gas station" available 24/7 with descent restrooms and somme other amenities.

Traditional gas stations located at a corner of some major downtown cities, are in general too small
for providing enough supercharging stations and real eating places, and are not easy to access when travelling.

So my point is that "Convert existing gas stations to EV charging" is not necessarily a location that EV drivers would use.

Only those gas stations that are located near a major highway exit ramp will probably benefit for converting into an EV charging hub. If there are nearby restaurants, so much the better. This is the same target area which Superchargers are already using.

Reactions: Midpack
At least in VA, there are quite a few superchargers at Sheetz and WaWa gas stations.
Both brands have food, snacks, restrooms, etc, and are open 24/7. It's a step in the right direction.
For sure. I've stopped at a bunch of them on my trek up the East coast and they were generally pleasant and very welcomed. Definitely a step in the right direction. ...but they're still inconvenient for towing, uncovered (I traveled in snow and it was awful), and not intuitive for lines which may be a problem when the stations open up.

Reactions: RTPEV and KJD
At least in VA, there are quite a few superchargers at Sheetz and WaWa gas stations.
Both brands have food, snacks, restrooms, etc, and are open 24/7. It's a step in the right direction.
We have something similar in California. SuperChargers are located the parking lots of large gas stations/food court places. They have 14 or so Supercharger stalls and an indoor food court with booths selling pizzas, burgers, Mexican food, etc. and tables you can sit at. So, you can charge your car and fill yourself at the same time.

Most of the current SuperChargers are located within easy walking distance to restaurants or other ammenities. Very normal to pull into a stall, start charging, then walk to a convenient store/restroom/restaurant/fast food place.

Believe that gas stations will begin to provide charging facilities as a larger number of gas burners convert to EV. Their convenience stores make more profit than the gas pumps.

Most of the current SuperChargers are located within easy walking distance to restaurants or other ammenities. Very normal to pull into a stall, start charging, then walk to a convenient store/restroom/restaurant/fast food place.

Believe that gas stations will begin to provide charging facilities as a larger number of gas burners convert to EV. Their convenience stores make more profit than the gas pumps.
They definitely make more profit in the store. When we got out of selling gas, we were making 1-2 cents per gallon. It paid for keeping the lights on and not much more. But the stations with sodas in a cup make $1.40 of profit on a $1.50 sale to compensate. It is no wonder they offer free refills.

I think you guys are all missing the key point the OP made: design the actual stations with an island arrangement like current gas stations have. Not only will this accommodate towing, but more importantly it will accommodate varying charge port locations, vehicle shapes/sizes, and provide a convenient way to build a canopy over the cars (it may not be as important to have a canopy over the charging stations as you don't need to stand outside your car for long periods of time, but it's still nice to be covered in the weather).

I'll once again post my concept for an EV charging island with a central charging cabinet/battery and 4 pedestals (not that this is rocket science--it's basically your typical gas pump island layout):
EV Charging Station Island.png

I'll once again post my concept for an EV charging island with a central charging cabinet/battery and 4 pedestals (not that this is rocket science--it's basically your typical gas pump island layout):
View attachment 909751
Tesla already has this structure in place in Northern Europe. This picture is from Norway a few years back. Bjorn Nyland took the picture.

tesla-supercharger-in-nebbenes-norway-source-bjorn-nyland (1).jpg

Tesla already has this structure in place in Northern Europe. This picture is from Norway a few years back. Bjorn Nyland took the picture.
Close, but not ideal as it still favors charge ports in the exact position of Tesla's (which is fine for Tesla-only Superchargers). A car with the charge port near the left front (Ford Mustang Mach-E) or right rear (VW ID.4) might have a difficult time with this setup, unless of course they were allowed to partially block the travel lane, which with this layout would be a bit challenging betwen the two sets of stations (sort of like the trailer is doing). Plus gas pump islands are usually further apart than the above, allowing for easier access. Sure, they are not as space efficient, but neither are gas pump islands.

Reactions: DblOSmith
I think you guys are all missing the key point the OP made: design the actual stations with an island arrangement like current gas stations have. Not only will this accommodate towing, but more importantly it will accommodate varying charge port locations, vehicle shapes/sizes, and provide a convenient way to build a canopy over the cars (it may not be as important to have a canopy over the charging stations as you don't need to stand outside your car for long periods of time, but it's still nice to be covered in the weather).

View attachment 909751
Yes. Thank you for bringing it back.

Reactions: RTPEV
Close, but not ideal as it still favors charge ports in the exact position of Tesla's (which is fine for Tesla-only Superchargers). A car with the charge port near the left front (Ford Mustang Mach-E) or right rear (VW ID.4) might have a difficult time with this setup, unless of course they were allowed to partially block the travel lane, which with this layout would be a bit challenging betwen the two sets of stations (sort of like the trailer is doing). Plus gas pump islands are usually further apart than the above, allowing for easier access. Sure, they are not as space efficient, but neither are gas pump islands.
Notice that is what the S and Xs are doing. They are going both ways. Tesla also double the charging stands so they could work for left and right-side charging. They also have the wide-open lane in the foreground for people towing travel trailers, or just trailers to pick up things. Pickup trucks are uncommon in Europe, so small trailers are used to haul things around.

Last edited:
Reactions: Genie
Notice that is what the S and Xs are doing. They are going both ways. Tesla also double the charging stands so they could work for left and right-side charging. They also have the wide-open lane in the foreground for people towing travel trailers, or just trailers to pick up things. Pickup trucks are uncommon in Europe, so small trailers are used to haul things around.
Like I said, it's close, but not ideal.

Let's say that a Hyundai Ioniq5 pulled up to this site and it was as full as it is, except for the car I circled:

1677092458419.png

It's charging port is on the right rear. How are they going to charge?

? What does that have to do with the orientation of charging stations?

Just replying to the OP first posting: There was no mention of orientation.

...in my opinion. I'm talking pull-thru stations, open 24 hours, with food and amenities available.

So which one is more secured? A secluded EV charging station or a very noticeable gas station at a corner of major arterial roads?

Last edited: