Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Drive in Mountains -- Angeles Crest Highway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ForeverFree

Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2015
Sherman Oaks, CA
Cruised up iconic Highway 2 into the San Gabriels yesterday.

Over the years, I've been lucky enough to pilot some great cars through these twisties. Supra, 3000GT VR4, BMW 330xi (E46), Audi S4 and S5. Tesla S85D. All stellar.

But this ... left me speechless ... and all those other cars in the dust, at least in terms of the visceral feel of snaking the highway.

Picture an old-school (E46) AWD BMW 3-series. Teslify it. Then dream it.

Wow ...

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_9100.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_9100.jpeg
    250.7 KB · Views: 312
  • fullsizeoutput_910e.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_910e.jpeg
    561.1 KB · Views: 254
  • fullsizeoutput_9101.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_9101.jpeg
    232.7 KB · Views: 236
  • fullsizeoutput_910f.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_910f.jpeg
    254.6 KB · Views: 243
  • HquVbNcoTEuGY5yWAyJPYA.jpg
    HquVbNcoTEuGY5yWAyJPYA.jpg
    779.6 KB · Views: 264
  • WAHxmon2TVKYMKOFCviwlw.jpg
    WAHxmon2TVKYMKOFCviwlw.jpg
    689.6 KB · Views: 260
I envy you Californian's and your roads. Beautiful drives and from what I remember not too many potholes outside of the cities. One of the prettiest states in the union. Ca. is like what I say about Manhattan: Love to visit but would never live there.

Reactions: GSP
Nice! And that is exactly my config. I've done the drive to Newcomb's for breakfast many times in my Porsche and S85. Looking forward to duplicating your route when my 3 finally shows up (configured in November).
So, it sounds like you didn't miss the lower profile 19"s?
Body roll and steering comparable to BMW E46?

Reactions: scottf200
Nice! And that is exactly my config. I've done the drive to Newcomb's for breakfast many times in my Porsche and S85. Looking forward to duplicating your route when my 3 finally shows up (configured in November).
So, it sounds like you didn't miss the lower profile 19"s?
Body roll and steering comparable to BMW E46?

Used to have low-profiles on my 3000 GTs. Don’t miss the blowouts and potholes flats! Thus opted for 19s on my S and 18s on our 3.

Not a to-the-limits driver, though. That said, body roll seems near-nil, due to the ultra-low CG. You’ll enjoy!

I envy you Californian's and your roads. Beautiful drives and from what I remember not too many potholes outside of the cities. One of the prettiest states in the union. Ca. is like what I say about Manhattan: Love to visit but would never live there.

You’re wise. The mountain roads are great, but daily traffic is stupefyingly awful. Gorgeous scenery and climate —> staggering population.

Reactions: GSP and Chopr147
I can see this as an annual cruise for Model 3 enthusiasts. Count us in!

Another GREAT drive is Hwy 243, lots of twist and shout, from Banning (charge up at Cabazon SuC) then to Idyllwild (6500 ft elev. alpine village) and down to Palm Springs (charge up at Cathedral City SvC).

This is going to be fun!

ForeverFree,
I have read a couple of professional test drivers calling the ride "stiff". We all know that they have to be very circumspect in how they describe a car. I'm trying to get a 'feel' for the suspension of the Model 3, and you sound like you may have the experience to help guide me, ( and others). I've had numerous European sports and street cars; I have 20 years racing both formula and sports racers, and I like the 'European' firm ride, but I have found some street cars go over the limit, (for me) in trying to be track cars. The E46 M3 was too stiff/harsh/jiggly for me for an everyday street car; it shrieked "wanna-be" track car. The E90 335 with Dinan engine help was a perfect street car, and my present 340 with adjustable suspension on the soft setting is firm enough, without being harsh. It's perfect for everyday driving. (And when you want to tear up the countryside, the stiffer setting will tear with the best of them.)
The Model 3 will be for my wife; it will replace a Lex ES350 that doesn't 'talk' to you, it mumbles. But we are both hoping that this car will talk, but neither shriek nor mumble. I look forward to reading your, and hopefully other opinions.

Over the years, I've been lucky enough to pilot some great cars through these twisties. Supra, 3000GT VR4, BMW 330xi (E46), Audi S4 and S5. Tesla S85D. All stellar.

But this ... left me speechless ... and all those other cars in the dust, at least in terms of the visceral feel of snaking the highway.

Wow ...
I remember that highway fondly.

Unfortunately, now I live in Louisiana. The highest point of elevation is Mt. Driscoll, which towers some 500 feet above sea level:)

Love to hear this feedback!

Reactions: Futuresystem

Wow ...

@ForeverFree,

I LOVE how you LOVE this car! In all your writeups. Just love it. Keep them coming!!!:)

Ski

ForeverFree,
I have read a couple of professional test drivers calling the ride "stiff". We all know that they have to be very circumspect in how they describe a car. I'm trying to get a 'feel' for the suspension of the Model 3, and you sound like you may have the experience to help guide me, ( and others). I've had numerous European sports and street cars; I have 20 years racing both formula and sports racers, and I like the 'European' firm ride, but I have found some street cars go over the limit, (for me) in trying to be track cars. The E46 M3 was too stiff/harsh/jiggly for me for an everyday street car; it shrieked "wanna-be" track car. The E90 335 with Dinan engine help was a perfect street car, and my present 340 with adjustable suspension on the soft setting is firm enough, without being harsh. It's perfect for everyday driving. (And when you want to tear up the countryside, the stiffer setting will tear with the best of them.)
The Model 3 will be for my wife; it will replace a Lex ES350 that doesn't 'talk' to you, it mumbles. But we are both hoping that this car will talk, but neither shriek nor mumble. I look forward to reading your, and hopefully other opinions.

I would call it 330xi stiff, not M3 stiff, or Porsche 911 stiff.

Not firm enough to set off my wife, who has embraced the Model 3 ... even though I had hoped she'd prefer the larger, and thus presumably slightly safer) Model S. And, she normally does not prefer cars with sports car suspensions.

If a Lexus mumbles and a Model S talks in whispers, the Model 3 talks in a conversational voice. It does not shriek. I think both of you will love the Model 3 ... as do both of us.

Hope this helps!

@ForeverFree,

I LOVE how you LOVE this car! In all your writeups. Just love it. Keep them coming!!!:)

Ski

Thanks!

What's really telling is how much my wife loves the car. She's not normally a car person. In fact, she's not someone who gets excited about things, particularly tech things.

Yet, she raves about her new car. And, she can't wait to drive it. Normally, she asks me to do most of the driving. Now ... no way! We used to play our golf matches to see who did not have to drive home. Now, the winner GETS to drive home!

And just think, this isn’t even the dual motor version...

Can't wait for that! As soon as AWD is available, I will submit my order.

We get surprisingly-stunning amounts of snow here in California (in the mountains), and we need one car to be AWD. All-season tires (with M + S stamp) and AWD get you past chain control in al but the most extreme ("R3") conditions. My S85D has proven a champ in snow and on ice.

Thanks!

What's really telling is how much my wife loves the car. She's not normally a car person. In fact, she's not someone who gets excited about things, particularly tech things.

Yet, she raves about her new car.
My wife sounds exactly like yours only with about 30 more years under her belt! She resisted computers as nothing but a toy. Now her laptop is glued to her and a primary source of information and entertainment. We had a land line up until a year ago and she reluctantly agreed to try a smartphone. Now she is constantly texting our daughters and the landline is gone forever. We have a 6 y.o. Prius PHEV with a small, primitive U.I. that she has become dependent on. She is very happy when the U.I. shows she is getting 70+ mpg on a tank of gas. Originally she said, "you get the model 3 if you want but I will drive my Prius." She has since played with the U.I. on a MS at the Tesla store and she was addicted to the technology immediately. She asks me on a daily basis. "have you checked to see if we can configure MY model 3 yet...........I WANT EAP MORE THAN ANY OTHER OPTION!" Tesla has created a monster in our house!

Thanks!

Yet, she raves about her new car. And, she can't wait to drive it. Normally, she asks me to do most of the driving. Now ... no way! We used to play our golf matches to see who did not have to drive home. Now, the winner GETS to drive home!
How well do two sets of clubs fit in the trunk?

Wow ...
LOVE your photos, (and report) thanks!