TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

First EV trip -- Houston to New Orleans

Discussion in 'Model X' started by RRM998, Oct 2, 2017.

1. RRM998

RRM998 Member

I don't tend to do long drives (I'll fly when possible) but I wanted to try out what it's like to drive my MX 75D on a trip requiring multiple charging stops.

The Auto Pilot (HW2) was as useful on a long drive as I would expect it to be. Not having to press the peddles or steer meant I could move around more and be more comfortable.

I deployed my "Auto Pilot anti-nag" device to good effect. I spent hours driving without a single nag. See a photo of my device below. That is is a 2.5 pound weight for a weight stack machine.
    IMG_1021.jpg

The trip is about 5.5 hours by normal car. It took me 9 hours to make the trip due to charging (1.5 hours) and nasty traffic in Baton Rouge. If I wasn't forced to go into Baton Rouge to get power, I could have re-routed and saved about 2 hours. Something to think about when making my next battery size decision.

Returning I had no traffic and did the trip in just under 7 hours. Both supercharger sites had plenty of options to take a break while charging.

• Like x 1
  2. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

That weight looks dangerous to me. It's pretty easy to hold the wheel in the area where you have the weight (either side) and put dead-weight downward pressure there. You don't have to do anything, in fact it's better if you don't. If you need both hands or need to stretch, then by all means let go of the wheel, but your hand has to be somewhere, and you will get in less trouble if it's resting on the wheel.:rolleyes:

3. Joe F

Joe F Member

Very bad idea. I’d call it a “Dead Man Device.”

Hopefully you’ll stop using it so it never lives up to that name.