Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Post - I bought a Tesla after 10 years of dreaming!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is giving someone access to a car they don't own.... I'm in the middle of the process. I paid the owner, paid the bank, and the bank is in the process of releasing the lean. However the State process will send the title to the original owner, which can take 30 days. The owner has given me possession of the car, and receipt of purchase. I also have power of attorney to request the title duplicate titles and change the name. However even with all this Tesla wont move the car to my account and it remains in the previous owners account.

So technically Tesla is giving someone access to a car they do not own....
Yes fair point! They should really change the app on proof of sale submitted by the owner, rather than waiting for proof of registration.

Yes fair point! They should really change the app on proof of sale submitted by the owner, rather than waiting for proof of registration.
Insurance companies don’t require rego in your name so it’s a strange requirement to have the rego in your name. I bought the car in December and have not been able to get someone to do a rego check yet as all the mechanics are busy checking gas guzzlers so they don’t break down in the summer holidays. I asked the rego office what they needed to check - it’s a brand new car and no mechanic outside of Tesla would know much more than how to check the brake pads. So now I wait until the mechanics get back from holidays to get the rego check done then get the rego transferred and then get the Tesla app working. Then be able to unlock the car if I leave the keys in it.

Last edited:
Insurance companies don’t require rego in your name so it’s a strange requirement to have the rego in your name. I bought the car in December and have not been able to get someone to do a rego check yet as all the mechanics are busy checking gas guzzlers so they don’t break down in the summer holidays. I asked the rego office what they needed to check - it’s a brand new car and no mechanic outside of Tesla would know much more than how to check the brake pads. So now I wait until the mechanics get back from holidays to get the rego check done then get the rego transferred and then get the Tesla app working. Then be able to unlock the car if I leave the keys in it.

Maybe they want to check your windshield wiper fluid level to make sure you can clean off any bird poop or bugs so you can drive safely? There is a lot of delays that slow down fully enjoying all the features. But it's nice when it's all done.

• Love
Reactions: Petergarrett38