TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

First Post - I bought a Tesla after 10 years of dreaming!

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by Petergarrett38, Dec 4, 2018.

1. meloccom

meloccom Moderator Aus/NZ

I find road trips in an EV are safer as it makes you Stop Revive Survive.

2. Mark E

Mark E Member

I'm not sure what you are using to navigate - the Port Macquarie supercharger has been operational at Cassegrains winery for several years.

If you use the built in navigation in the car it will direct you straight to the superchargers...

3. Petergarrett38

Not a proposed site, that was incorrect. I saw it at the winery the next morning in the daylight. Im happy as it was a great adventure and I got to stay at Sails in Port Macquarie which was very nice - have to give them a plug , they gave me one its the least I can do. The navigation was way off though I set it to Canberra and it was perfect for every other super charger but for the winery it said 'you have arrived at your destination' and it was no where near it. the black circle is where it sent me.

Attached Files:

4. Petergarrett38

I love that feature! it was almost in sync with my bladder by the end of the 1000+ ks. Do they close the gate at the winery?

5. roadster2020

roadster2020 Banned

Congrats! Get in pedal and to the metal all the rest is unimportant

6. Oldschool496

Oldschool496 Member

Congrats, thats a very long time to anticipate, I was three years in the wait and it was not easy either. Here is my suggestion:

Set up all the functions in the UI before you drive off, I suggest not using Auto Pilot until you have time to fully digest on your own with light traffic how it fully functions. If your in the know on that, then fine 12 hour trip with it will be a breeze. The first few days your gonna want to steer the car yourself anyway perhaps.

Yes, know the scroll wheel reset by others above is important if things freeze up on the UI.

Soon, if not before you get your car, install HPWC if your living conditions allow that. Never leave your Mobile Charging Cord and its adapters at home, especially the J1772 or whatever adapter you may have for public charging in Australia. Those are your life savers in case your in a bind.

Other then all that, read the manual twice at least, twice before you get the car and once after 6 months. You'll read things initially that you can't make sense of until you see it or experience it. Then that third reading it will all start to click the little things you missed initially. There are things about the car, that in the manual that if not understood properly, damage to the vehicle and property, and injury to you or others is real.

Not to scare you, but if you want to be as fully informed of the great tech and the limitations of the tech, one needs to read. Over a year after I got my car I was still learning of the depth of auto-braking and the autopilot system at speed(especially reading about Tesla's hitting non-moving objects, Fire trucks stopped on Highways and fully understanding why that was happening). If any car not just a Tesla, stopped for non-moving objects it would never drive.

Below certain speeds there is a differing set of mitigation for accidents that is evident when you drive, you'll feel it and experience the tones involved with low speed warnings. It will all come into place if you read first and enjoy later then read again. I am still learning two years later. This is a thinking persons car. It'll keep you busy on those long drives. Enjoy.

7. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

@Petergarrett38 I'm glad you had an adventure, hope the stress wasn't too great. It's usually never a wrong thing to just stay the night somewhere on a trip.
    As others have said, the Port Mac supercharger is a bit hard to find due to the new roadworks, but it's been running for a few years now. It was actually the very first supercharger between Sydney and Brisbane. In those days you had to hypermile Syd -> Port, charge at a 3-phase plug in Coffs showgrounds, charge at Ballina Eye Surgery where a doctor installed a generous HPWC, then limp into Brisbane :)
    It's crazy to think this was just 2 years ago, things are so much more civilized now. I went to Gold Coast a few months back and it was a dream.

• Like x 2
  8. Petergarrett38

So as far as options go the dealer didn’t know much.
    It’s got air suspension and a glass roof, but no sub in the boot or read seat heaters, what else is there to find? Apart from the Easter eggs! I upgraded to version 9 last night.

9. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Nice. My favourite is moon lander :)

10. paulp

paulp Member

Have you found autopilot? Only mentioning that because a mate bought one a couple of years ago, and was with him in the car about a year later and I asked him what he thought of autopilot. He didn’t know what I was talking about. He sure got a massive shock immediately after that.

Also check your tire pressure monitor. Tyre wear is crazy if the pressures are wrong.

11. Petergarrett38

Doesn’t have autopilot.. yet. I spoke to Tesla in Sydney who said it can be added once I have the mobile app setup and a spare few thousand dollars. It has the 21s and they are at 41psi?

12. possum22

possum22 Member

How do you find tyre pressure monitor? I got an AP1(enabled) car[v9.0 (2018.42.3 eb373a0)]. What is the max tyre pressure before you start wearing out the centre of the thread?

13. Blue heaven

Blue heaven Fair Dinkum Tesla

Hold down the left hand scroll button on the steering wheel, scroll through clock, media and trips until you get to car status, that's the TPMS, Tesla provide the option of keeping the car in metric but showing the tyre pressures in Psi, 21 inch tyres are generally set to 42Psi (2.9 bar) 19 inch tyres 45Psi (3.1 bar) both cold setting, a few drivers have run them 5Psi higher on long trips without any wear issues although the ride firms up a bit.

• Informative x 1
  14. paulp

paulp Member

You can do the same with the right scroll wheel if you prefer it on the right of your dash.
    Also the correct tyre pressure is located on the pillar just inside the drivers door, just make sure your wheels match as they may have been changed from factory delivery.