Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Post - I bought a Tesla after 10 years of dreaming!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok so I pull into stop 3, the supercharger at port Macquarie and find out that it’s actually a proposed site and doesn’t yet exist.... I look down at the remaining range and it says 80km... the next one is 200kms away . Needless to say I was a little worried... did I stop and cry? No I did not did I think about a hundred different scenarios including having to tell my dad who has told me for years not to buy an electric car that my new car needed to be towed yes, that exact thought went through my mind! I did a good search for chargers but nothing came up except the non-existent super charger I was sitting at... Ok use PlugShare to find charging stations near you! (thank you Icey!) Found an app that showed all types of chargers! It found me A slow charger only 10ks away. I got there and plugged it in and it didn’t work... I went into the hotel it was out the front of that looked super fancy and about to close for the night and asked them about it. They did not know but said they could call the guy who did. They found out how to turn it on and it started bloody charging! Then it said it would take 3.5 hours to charge... still not stopped I contemplated sleeping in the car (camp mode) or wandering round till 2am. Then I asked do you have any rooms? They said we have just had a cancellation and can do a room half price! Now I sit on the balcony of a very fancy hotel waiting till morning when I will be able to continue my journey back to the promised land of the ACT!
I find road trips in an EV are safer as it makes you Stop Revive Survive.

Reactions: GSP
Ok so I pull into stop 3, the supercharger at port Macquarie and find out that it’s actually a proposed site and doesn’t yet exist.... I look down at the remaining range and it says 80km... the next one is 200kms away

I'm not sure what you are using to navigate - the Port Macquarie supercharger has been operational at Cassegrains winery for several years.

If you use the built in navigation in the car it will direct you straight to the superchargers...

Not a proposed site, that was incorrect. I saw it at the winery the next morning in the daylight. Im happy as it was a great adventure and I got to stay at Sails in Port Macquarie which was very nice - have to give them a plug , they gave me one its the least I can do. The navigation was way off though I set it to Canberra and it was perfect for every other super charger but for the winery it said 'you have arrived at your destination' and it was no where near it. the black circle is where it sent me.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-12-07 at 9.25.33 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-07 at 9.25.33 pm.png
    2 MB · Views: 96
Reactions: Rownolds
Hi all,

After seeing the Model S design and talking to my now wife about wanting one 10 years ago. I have finally bought one!

Congrats, thats a very long time to anticipate, I was three years in the wait and it was not easy either. Here is my suggestion:

Set up all the functions in the UI before you drive off, I suggest not using Auto Pilot until you have time to fully digest on your own with light traffic how it fully functions. If your in the know on that, then fine 12 hour trip with it will be a breeze. The first few days your gonna want to steer the car yourself anyway perhaps.

Yes, know the scroll wheel reset by others above is important if things freeze up on the UI.

Soon, if not before you get your car, install HPWC if your living conditions allow that. Never leave your Mobile Charging Cord and its adapters at home, especially the J1772 or whatever adapter you may have for public charging in Australia. Those are your life savers in case your in a bind.

Other then all that, read the manual twice at least, twice before you get the car and once after 6 months. You'll read things initially that you can't make sense of until you see it or experience it. Then that third reading it will all start to click the little things you missed initially. There are things about the car, that in the manual that if not understood properly, damage to the vehicle and property, and injury to you or others is real.

Not to scare you, but if you want to be as fully informed of the great tech and the limitations of the tech, one needs to read. Over a year after I got my car I was still learning of the depth of auto-braking and the autopilot system at speed(especially reading about Tesla's hitting non-moving objects, Fire trucks stopped on Highways and fully understanding why that was happening). If any car not just a Tesla, stopped for non-moving objects it would never drive.

Below certain speeds there is a differing set of mitigation for accidents that is evident when you drive, you'll feel it and experience the tones involved with low speed warnings. It will all come into place if you read first and enjoy later then read again. I am still learning two years later. This is a thinking persons car. It'll keep you busy on those long drives. Enjoy.

@Petergarrett38 I'm glad you had an adventure, hope the stress wasn't too great. It's usually never a wrong thing to just stay the night somewhere on a trip.
As others have said, the Port Mac supercharger is a bit hard to find due to the new roadworks, but it's been running for a few years now. It was actually the very first supercharger between Sydney and Brisbane. In those days you had to hypermile Syd -> Port, charge at a 3-phase plug in Coffs showgrounds, charge at Ballina Eye Surgery where a doctor installed a generous HPWC, then limp into Brisbane :)
It's crazy to think this was just 2 years ago, things are so much more civilized now. I went to Gold Coast a few months back and it was a dream.

So as far as options go the dealer didn’t know much.
It’s got air suspension and a glass roof, but no sub in the boot or read seat heaters, what else is there to find? Apart from the Easter eggs! I upgraded to version 9 last night.
Have you found autopilot? Only mentioning that because a mate bought one a couple of years ago, and was with him in the car about a year later and I asked him what he thought of autopilot. He didn’t know what I was talking about. He sure got a massive shock immediately after that.

Also check your tire pressure monitor. Tyre wear is crazy if the pressures are wrong.

• Funny
How do you find tyre pressure monitor? I got an AP1(enabled) car[v9.0 (2018.42.3 eb373a0)]. What is the max tyre pressure before you start wearing out the centre of the thread?

Hold down the left hand scroll button on the steering wheel, scroll through clock, media and trips until you get to car status, that's the TPMS, Tesla provide the option of keeping the car in metric but showing the tyre pressures in Psi, 21 inch tyres are generally set to 42Psi (2.9 bar) 19 inch tyres 45Psi (3.1 bar) both cold setting, a few drivers have run them 5Psi higher on long trips without any wear issues although the ride firms up a bit.

You can do the same with the right scroll wheel if you prefer it on the right of your dash.
Also the correct tyre pressure is located on the pillar just inside the drivers door, just make sure your wheels match as they may have been changed from factory delivery.

• Helpful
I got locked out. My son (10 months old) was in the car and I didn’t have the mobile app login as I had only had the car 3 days. The car shouldn’t lock when the keys are in the car! Had to smash the window! Spend $500 and had to drive 3 hours back and forth to get it fixed. Dumb thing for a smart car to do.

it was no where near it. the black circle is where it sent me.

When I am going to a supercharger I've never been to, I turn on the satellite view overlay and zoom in on the destination and make sure I can see the location of the chargers within the parking lot. Helps avoid frustrations.

Also, on that breaking the window thing - I've sold a few teslas and I tell the buyers to get the car in their name as quick as possible, but in the meantime to call me if they need something done with the app (like unlocking the car remotely!) and I'll do it for them.
sorry about your $500

I got locked out. My son (10 months old) was in the car and I didn’t have the mobile app login as I had only had the car 3 days. The car shouldn’t lock when the keys are in the car! Had to smash the window! Spend $500 and had to drive 3 hours back and forth to get it fixed. Dumb thing for a smart car to do.
The car doesn’t lock with keys in the car. The handles will close, but its not locked.

Hi mate. Did you try pushing the drivers door handle? That should make the handle pop out.
The handles will go flush after a few minutes, even if the car is unlocked with the key inside, but pushing the drivers handle will cause them to pop out again.
I’ve noticed sometimes the rear handle doesn’t respond to pressing. Perhaps you were only pressing a rear handle if your son was in the back seat?

Last edited: