TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

First Ride: 2012 Tesla Model S

Discussion in 'News' started by NigelM, Oct 10, 2011.

1. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Motor Trend has done a very good write up, summarizing lots of bits and pieces from other smaller articles.

First Ride: 2012 Tesla Model S

2. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

#2 AnOutsider, Oct 10, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
    I was also looking at the Karma specs and sheesh, 50 miles on a charge, and 300 miles max range? Even my gas guzzling sports car can go 400 miles. Doesn't seem to take the best of both worlds.

Having not seen the charger in person, I was still unclear whether I had to install something, or if this guy will plug right into a standard wall socket?

umc2_0.jpg

All of the photos in that article are of the prototype though :confused:

3. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Thread over here.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=3059&d=1318254827.jpg

4. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

It was a fair assessment of the Model S but I wonder where did he get this information CO2 emissions = 1.16 lb/mile (est)?

5. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

That isn't true. All 3 of those vehicles come with a 'charger' capable of charging from ~100-240V.
    Model S will come with a more capable, standard, mobile EVSE capable of up to 9.6kW charging, unlike those other vehicles which have relatively 'wimpy' smaller current chargers, and lower capacity EVSEs.
    (USA LEAF included EVSE is only 1.4kW [email protected], but can be upgraded to 3.3kW [email protected] by a 3rd party.)

6. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

:confused::mad::scared::mad::confused:

7. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I think you've got the steps to grieving a bit mixed there :)

8. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

I believe in Tesla and put my money where my mouth is; but I don't think the article is unfair, it's just a reflection of the reality that Tesla is going somewhere no one has been before and that has inherent risk.

9. Arnold Panz

Arnold Panz Model Sig 304, VIN 542

I agree completely. Reading between the lines, it seems like the author is clearly rooting for Tesla to succeed, but has to throw in cautionary notes that they haven't actually accomplished their goals yet, with which even Tesla would probably agree. He seemed to be as much of a "fan" of the car (and touchscreen) as any theoretically objective journalist could be.

10. PopSmith

PopSmith Saving for a Model 3

#10 PopSmith, Oct 10, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
    I thought the article itself was fine. The author seemed to be positive-but-realistic with their feelings on Tesla as a company which is always good to see. The article did contain one error that stuck out to me, though:

Torque in the Model S (according to Tesla) is flat from 0-7000 RPMs and then slopes downward.

I don't understand why they used Alpha pictures when they went to the event and Tesla has lots of pictures of the Beta on their website...

11. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

I'm sure the author had nothing to do with that. A lazy editor just slapped together the text with some pictures (s)he found on their server.

12. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

I for one wonder where the 14/22 mpg (est) came from...

13. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

It's cool that the article compares the exterior and interior dimensions so precisely to an A7. That way, I can go to the Audi dealer in the next city to test ingress/egress, etc.

14. PopSmith

PopSmith Saving for a Model 3

#14 PopSmith, Oct 11, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
    That sounds correct to me. Those silly editors and their (very plausible) laziness. :tongue:

Those are the exact numbers from the Motor Trend review of the 2012 M5, a couple of values from the table were probably used by accident. It's been fixed now, though.