Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First speeding ticket, maybe more than 10 years....?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got off highway and ramped to 35 mph local road in Mountain View today, I did not see the cop hiding or behind (now I am not used to look on the back), accelerated at 60 mph to pass a slow car .....

The cop followed me for quite some long distances, finally decided to pull me off: he was hesitated and kept asking me if I read the speed meter to know my speed, even his radar read 60 mph, I was really going with the traffic except passing that car....

If I drove any of my other cars, I don't believe I would get this ticket ...

I think there are many who happen to get caught at the wrong time. As we were headed to our vacation, I was accelerating to pass a Saab that had blocked the left lane at 45 mph (in a 65 mph zone) - a truck was coming up in the right lane and I didn't want to get pinned for several minutes behind the both of them; then he decided to speed up. By the time he zoomed on, and I looked down, I was at 87 or so and the cruiser was in the lane about 1/2 a mile back bearing down on me.

Unfortunately, I should have remembered that I was in Terre Haute, Indiana. If your city includes a rather large link on its home page to "pay your traffic ticket", it's probably a speed trap town.

The trooper walked up, didn't want to hear that the other guy had blocked the road and sped up (inciting a race), and told me "When that happens, I get to pull over one of two people, and today it was you." He printed out a citation, walked up and handed it to me, saying "sorry, I had to give you a citation. Thanks for cooperating." No, he didn't have to. At least Terre Haute has a deferral program that will dismiss the ticket completely after a hefty contribution to their extortion scheme.

He tried to claim I slammed on my brakes when I saw him - I explained that no, it was regen kicking in. I swear he was ready to shoot up my car when the handles retracted as he was standing there, I then had to explain that it was automatic and that it wasn't a sign of disrespect.

Unfortunately, I should have remembered that I was in Terre Haute, Indiana. If your city includes a rather large link on its home page to "pay your traffic ticket", it's probably a speed trap town.

The trooper walked up, didn't want to hear that the other guy had blocked the road and sped up (inciting a race), and told me "When that happens, I get to pull over one of two people, and today it was you." He printed out a citation, walked up and handed it to me, saying "sorry, I had to give you a citation. Thanks for cooperating." No, he didn't have to. At least Terre Haute has a deferral program that will dismiss the ticket completely after a hefty contribution to their extortion scheme.

I spent four years in Terre Haute and drove like an idiot 18-22 year old, never got a ticket :) The rumor was that having a Rose-Hulman sticker or car tag would get you out of tickets, but I'm not sure I believe it, I was probably just lucky.

I definitely attempted the Hulman Hundred a few times which is basically going 0-100-0 mph from Wabash & US-40 to the entrance of Rose-Hulman, just over a half mile. Should be pretty easy in Model X.

Reactions: pvogel and FlasherZ
Us germans always like to tell people how to behave, its a bad habit. And also we are spoiled by highways without speed limit on large stretches...

My own blood contains a heavy dose of German and Dutch blood as well, I'm familiar with the thought process. I've just learned how to turn it down a bit. :)

I added another dislike for your attitude and ignorance of speed limits / other people's safety.

Not driving with the flow of traffic is a significant safety issue and can earn the 'slow' driver a ticket. Their are laws on most states that 'slower traffic MUST keep to the right'. Drivers that drive at the speed limit in the left most lane cause people to not be able to pass other slower traffic that is in the right hand lanes, this is a safety issue and it causes traffic jams. Have you ever passed the 'last car' traveling slow in a middle lane and looked back to see all of the cars stacked up behind them; not just a car or two but 10s of them.

Perfect, thanks. Now we can talk about the fact that speeding -- not including the type that represents reckless driving -- is generally a victimless crime. And we should probably also expose that the very country you're in (Germany) is smaller yet tends to have much higher speed limits and is considered safe; this in comparison to the limits used in the United States, where they are not so much a safety restriction but rather serve to generate income for bloated governments like those of Ferguson, MO.

"Generally a victimless crime" - so the thousands who get the short end of the straw and end up dead or crippled simply don't matter. Because some people think their "right" to speeding weighs more than the lifes of these people. Pathetic.

And yes, in Germany A LOT of people die because of speeding. The fact that compared to others countries we got less fatal traffic accidents has to do with the TÜV - here you are not allowed to drive with an unsafe vehicle.

And lets not forget we are not talking about going 5 or 8 mph faster than the speed limit - to stay with the flow of traffic. Once you are double digit above the speed limit, you are speeding.

And if you get caught, a decent person would be ashamed of himself and simply pay the fine.

A person who gets angry because he got caught speeding (double digit above the speed limit), and then complains in the internet about it... about the police... and whatnot. These people make me vomit.

"Generally a victimless crime" - so the thousands who get the short end of the straw and end up dead or crippled simply don't matter. Because some people think their "right" to speeding weighs more than the lifes of these people. Pathetic.

Again, you're not differentiating reckless driving from casually exceeding a government threshold that is designed to generate revenue. I've said 4+ times now that I denounce reckless driving. I'm talking about speeding. But I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree there.

I can tell you that in my case, it was far more dangerous for me to have to slam on my brakes because of a overtaking-lane vigilante who was driving at 45 mph in a 45 mph minimum, 65 mph maximum zone, slower than the traffic to the right of him.

And if you get caught, a decent person would be ashamed of himself and simply pay the fine.

I'm not ashamed of myself, because I was attempting to do the safer of the multiple options available to me.

A person who gets angry because he got caught speeding (double digit above the speed limit), and then complains in the internet about it... about the police... and whatnot. These people make me vomit.

I'm sorry about your illness. Hope you get over it soon.

Consider yourself fortunate. 25mph over the limit can result in a reckless. That is like a DUI, and they can even arrest you. 80 in a 55 got me a reckless many years ago. License suspension, $500 fine, 2 points on the DMV record.

It is at the officer's discretion in California, so he wasn't hunting you.

Reactions: Blastphemy
... And I'll say one more time: I don't condone reckless driving -- that is something else altogether. ...

My reckless comment was just how the law is California. In my reckless ticket, I was on the 405 freeway at midnight, very light traffic. This was in the National Speed Limit days of 55 mph, I believe that stretch is now 70mph? A Costa Mesa PD unmarked car cited me for 80mph, and used the reckless statute, even though I was not driving recklessly.

IIRC, anything past 15 over can trigger it. Since then, there is also a newer Over 100mph statute. It is perhaps worse than Reckless IIRC.

California is a lousy place to get tickets. Too much flexibility is given the LEO who cites you for speeding. But it is what it is.