Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First step in disappearance of $35k Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure what you saw in the article that's not accurate.

The only thing about that I'd dispute is the implied assertion in the title of this thread connecting this to the "disappearance" of the $35K Model 3. "Delay" would be the right word - "disappearance"? No way.

It's dripping with innuendo, trying to imply that the $35,000 vehicle is not going to happen. FUD SOP. Also check out the "promoted" post. Not written by the author but staff promoted but endorsed by the staff (I don't know who handles that).

It's closer to accurate than the Gitlin (the Cars editor) and most Farivar pieces there, I generally don't bother read those anymore. It has come to the point I normally check the byline before reading. Those are flat out embarrassing (not just in the ones with Tesla at the top, even).

P.S. The site's other departments have also delved into writing Musk articles in general. Those tend to be handled better, but grate on me because they are done for the "clicks". Explicitly, that's what it is. Why do I care bespoke private school Musk is running for his kids? *shrug* Their SpaceX coverage, by a different department obviously, is decent and evenhanded (although written in a general pro-doing-stuff-in-space bias) and covers all the players (from NASA, to Russians, Europe, Blue Orgin, the established US companies, etc.).

Tesla is not accepting reservation on Model 3 in the USA anymore, so why list SR when you can't order it?
Define what you mean by “reservation”.

Right now you can place an order for a Model 3. The cost to do so in the US is $2,500. And then you will get a delivery timeframe estimate depending on your vehicle configuration.

Maybe you mean “make a reservation for $1,000”. It is correct that Tesla is no longer taking $1,000 to “reserve” a car, and in my opinion that is because the car is now in volume production and Tesla is confident that it can give people a delivery timeframe estimate.

The $1,000 reservation process was when Tesla had not yet started producing the car and the early production period when Tesla wasn’t confident enough about the production process to be able to give reservation holders a delivery timeframe estimate.

The $35,000 SR version is still shown on the website at https://3.tesla.com/model3/design?#battery

Standard Battery available in 6-9 months

It is shown, even though you can’t order it yet, because Tesla will be producing and selling it in the stated timeframe. Makes sense to me.

ecarfan - Your piece is clear and accurate as far as I know. "Makes sense to me" also.

What does not make any sense to me is reports of lots full of stored assembled Teslas'. On another thread I asked, is Tesla now in "delivery hell" having moved beyond "production hell?"

Maybe you mean “make a reservation for $1,000”. It is correct that Tesla is no longer taking $1,000 to “reserve” a car, and in my opinion that is because the car is now in volume production and Tesla is confident that it can give people a delivery timeframe estimate.

The $1,000 reservation process was when Tesla had not yet started producing the car and the early production period when Tesla wasn’t confident enough about the production process to be able to give reservation holders a delivery timeframe estimate.
Yes, Tesla is no longer taking reservation, so why display a car that's not available on the order screen? Not needed nor necessary

ecarfan - Your piece is clear and accurate as far as I know. "Makes sense to me" also.

What does not make any sense to me is reports of lots full of stored assembled Teslas'. On another thread I asked, is Tesla now in "delivery hell" having moved beyond "production hell?"
What is the most likely explanation? They're building cars nobody wants, or they're just putting them somewhere until they can be shipped to customers?

They're building cars faster than they can deliver them. Of all the problems to have, I think it's the best one. Because once the delivery problems get straightened out, they'll be able to sell that backlog quite quickly.

The real solution is to turn FSD on and have the cars deliver themselves. Imagine - by itself your Tesla pulls off the factory line, and heads for the nearby track where it can burnish the brake pads and do pre-delivery checks. Once it's ready, it lets the mothership know and it drives out the factory gate and heads towards it's new owner's house. You get a text - "Your Tesla Has Arrived!"

The real solution is to turn FSD on and have the cars deliver themselves. Imagine - by itself your Tesla pulls off the factory line, and heads for the nearby track where it can burnish the brake pads and do pre-delivery checks. Once it's ready, it lets the mothership know and it drives out the factory gate and heads towards it's new owner's house. You get a text - "Your Tesla Has Arrived!"
Yeah, that's not going to happen. Your car arrives with chips from highway driving, covered in dirt, rain, snow, insects, etc... and has 800 miles on it. I'm not taking delivery of that car.

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA and S'toon
Yeah, that's not going to happen. Your car arrives with chips from highway driving, covered in dirt, rain, snow, insects, etc... and has 800 miles on it. I'm not taking delivery of that car.

So you pull the delivery cling-wrap off and have a brand new car waiting for you. Don't spoil my fantasy.

PS: I live 20ish miles from the factory. So the car driving to my house would be like 45 minutes.

So you pull the delivery cling-wrap off and have a brand new car waiting for you. Don't spoil my fantasy.

PS: I live 20ish miles from the factory. So the car driving to my house would be like 45 minutes.
I live a few thousand "miles" away. Few thousand miles of tire wear, and potential damage to the car. Plus getting through customs. Then there's the fact I'm in the Supercharger black hole, no Supercharges within driving distance of here.

Yes, Tesla is no longer taking reservation, so why display a car that's not available on the order screen? Not needed nor necessary
Because Tesla wants to be clear that the SR 3 will be available in the near future. If they stopped displaying that information then the Tesla bears and shorts would seize on that and loudly proclaim that Tesla “lied” and was “failing” and blah blah blah. All nonsense.

Reactions: EinSV
Because Tesla wants to be clear that the SR 3 will be available in the near future. If they stopped displaying that information then the Tesla bears and shorts would seize on that and loudly proclaim that Tesla “lied” and was “failing” and blah blah blah. All nonsense.
The Standard Battery available 6-9 months is still there, just not a selectable option like LR/AWD/P.

Tesla should build 1000 small battery cars. Then claim that a plastic spacer that takes the space of the now unused spaces in the battery pack is on intergalactic back order, so they can't make more for now.

Then when people complain that there's no short range cars, Tesla can say "What? What? We built 1000 of them, here are the VINs! What?"