Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Tesla! Preowned M3 Performance 12,500 miles but only charges ~295 miles.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, just pickup my first Tesla! Love it, preowned from a dealership with 12,500 miles. It is a 2022 Model 3 Performance , with advertised range of 340 miles. However, I got it back home yesterday and fully charged, got to 291 miles estimated so I tried again and have now fully charged again after a little drive but it won’t get up past 295 miles… is that normal? Maybe I have set something wrong?

Please find images attached

Really appreciate any advice. Cheers!
D34AB7C7-E920-4504-BA40-BBF68C0802C2.jpeg

Attachments

• 8FF58B9A-8E7A-44E9-9C67-640AAECA2F51.jpeg
    8FF58B9A-8E7A-44E9-9C67-640AAECA2F51.jpeg
    238 KB · Views: 112
Hi Duncan, thank you for the response. Interesting. So charging to 295 of 315 after 12,500 sounds expected to you?
Depending on when and where it was made, the battery size can vary from ~79kwh LG pack or ~82kwh Panasonic pack.

The US EPA figures are based off the 82kwh pack. If your car has the 79kwh pack then ~295mi is spot on.

But the max range isn’t the most accurate way to measure degradation and the range mileage display is essentially useless anyways. Best to keep it to percentage display.

Upvote 0
That sounds about right. Tesla battery degredation is on a logorithmic plot and starts quickly, then degredation slows down A LOT and levels out.

I'm in a 2022 Perfomance and at 87% sate of charge, on average, I only get about 245 miles. Actual is even less than that.

You could run the Service Mode battery health test to get a better idea of how healthly your battery is. The problem with buying a used Tesla is not knowing how the previous owner cared for the battery or what their charging habbits were. Doing this battery health check will give you a better idea of where you are at with degradation.

Of course right now my car is incorrectly calculating is own consumption, so who knows what's what. My trip display shows i get 220 Wh/mi and my consumption graph shows more than 400 Wh/mi. So dumb. They need to fix their software. I'm going to run the battery health check this weekend and see what the car calculates its own battery health % at.

Upvote 0
That sounds about right. Tesla battery degredation is on a logorithmic plot and starts quickly, then degredation slows down A LOT and levels out.

I'm in a 2022 Perfomance and at 87% sate of charge, on average, I only get about 245 miles. Actual is even less than that.

You could run the Service Mode battery health test to get a better idea of how healthly your battery is. The problem with buying a used Tesla is not knowing how the previous owner cared for the battery or what their charging habbits were. Doing this battery health check will give you a better idea of where you are at with degradation.

Of course right now my car is incorrectly calculating is own consumption, so who knows what's what. My trip display shows i get 220 Wh/mi and my consumption graph shows more than 400 Wh/mi. So dumb. They need to fix their software. I'm going to run the battery health check this weekend and see what the car calculates its own battery health % at.
Super helpful, thanks! Will run a health check as well 👍🏻

Upvote 0
Yes, as that's about 6% battery degradation, which is about normal for an M3P with that mileage. I think you can improve actual range by using 18in wheels with aerocovers, (if they'll fit).
Might want to try this to see if a calibration adjustment will make your range appear better. It does not actually increase range, but could make the estimation more accurate if that is part of your issue.
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/how-i-recovered-half-of-my-batterys-lost-capacity.204712/

Found this explanation of range estimation techniques that may explain some of the difference, especially if your car is quoting EPA vice WLTP.
https://www.lifewire.com/ev-ranges-explained-5202261

Last edited:
Reactions: rlsd and luked1234
Upvote 0
Hi, just pickup my first Tesla! Love it, preowned from a dealership with 12,500 miles. It is a 2022 Model 3 Performance , with advertised range of 340 miles. However, I got it back home yesterday and fully charged, got to 291 miles estimated so I tried again and have now fully charged again after a little drive but it won’t get up past 295 miles… is that normal? Maybe I have set something wrong?

Please find images attached

Really appreciate any advice. Cheers!

Hi.

The range shown on the screen is not WLTP. The range shown is using the base for the EPA rating made in USA. If you had gotten the same battery as the US car hade gotten, you wold have seen 315 miles on a full charge, when the car was new.

In your case, You did get the LG 78.8kWh battery and the WLTP is 340mi/547km, but as the displayed range use the same Wh/mi (or km) the range of the EU cars that get the LG battery, the displayed range will be shorter. For a new M3P with the 78.8 kWh LG we could expect 308 miles, or 496km.

As you might understand, batteries degrade. In the first (5-8) years of so, the time is the main degrador. Not the miles.
We can expect yoyr car to loose about 5% capacity the first year. How the battery was charged affect this, but from what we see in the forums, most people charge to 70-90% and if so, we can expect about 5% after one year. The rate of the loss is faster in the beginning and reduces with time

78.8kWh after a 5% loss is about 74.8-74.9kWh.

If we look at your range 295mi, this means you have about 74.3kWh capacity so this is well within the expected loss assuming the car is closing the one year mark.

There is way to minimize degradation, I have written a lot about this. Calendar aging is the term to search for.

Upvote 0
Depending on when and where it was made, the battery size can vary from ~79kwh LG pack or ~82kwh Panasonic pack.
Its the 78.8 kWh LG pack. The WLTP range was tuned down from 567km to 547km when the y started shipping them with the LG-batt.

The US EPA figures are based off the 82kwh pack. If your car has the 79kwh pack then ~295mi is spot on.
The 82kWh pack needs 80.5kWh to show 315mi (I have one of these). The range when new with the 78.8 LG will be about 496-498km(308-309mi) with the LG, if it tops out at about 78.8 to 79.1kWh as usual.
But the max range isn’t the most accurate way to measure degradation and the range mileage display is essentially useless anyways.
Actually, the max range with 100% SOC tells us the BMS calculated capacity in the battery. The BMS could be off, but if so, it will be off using a scan tool to look into the BMS like Scan My Tesla also (I have it). To be absolutelty sure, a 100-0% drive must be performed, and actually driving until it stops several percent below 0% will be needed. Its possible to stop at 0% if Scan My Tesla is used to check when reaching the exact calculated 0% and also if the SOC goes down or up after the drive. (I have done this).
Best to keep it to percentage display.
A full battery will show 100% regardless of degradation so only using percent will not show you anything about the battery. It hides all information about degradation, which might be good for not worrying, but on the other hand it hides the information about the degradation wich might not always be good.
I use percent, but on the other hand I have a screen showing scan my tesla in front of the steering wheel.
If I didnt have scan my tesla I would still use percent for daily use but I would check the range in km every now and then.

Upvote 0
Might want to try this to see if a calibration adjustment will make your range appear better. It does not actually increase range, but could make the estimation more accurate if that is part of your issue.
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/how-i-recovered-half-of-my-batterys-lost-capacity.204712/

Found this explanation of range estimation techniques that may explain some of the difference, especially if your car is quoting EPA vice WLTP.
https://www.lifewire.com/ev-ranges-explained-5202261
Amazing thanks!

Upvote 0
Almost 12 months and 14k miles later, I'm getting about 310mi with a 90% charge. About 330mi when I go to 100%. This was reduced by about 5%-7% during the winter months, but now I'm back to "normal". Not bad I think
This is not s performance, a LR i suppose with the 82.1 kWh battery? At least not with stock 20” selected.

In the LR case the new value was 358mi?

If you see 330mi @ 100%, 90% would be 297.
If you see 310 miles @90%, 100% would be 344.

Upvote 0
Correct, I should have clarified. My experience is with a M3LR w/Aero Wheels...
In that case you probably have about 8 to 10% degradation.
Im not clear about what range you really have at 100% as the two statements contradicts each other (se my former post).

Keeping high SOC will cause higher calendar aging than if you have the car below 55% for the main part of the time.
Warm climate and high SOC takes big bites of the battery.
We can expect some 8% (or more) for your car after two years if you often have the car at hogh SOC in a warm climate.

I have a 2021 M3P. 61.000km and 2 yrs 4 months, still 497 out of 507km.
My degradation is 3.9% from full 82.1kWh which is rare. Compared to the capacity that shows full range and the most usual initial capacity, I have 2% degradation.

Reactions: luked1234
Upvote 0