Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First time buyer advice - MYP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems MYLR's are taking months and months to get delivered - that is my reasoning. MYP seems to have updated suspension now too ? 15 miles of range isn't worth giving up the other items the MYP offers is it?
Ordered my LR/AWD on 09/20/2022 and it was delivered 11/12/2022. Per Elon, my LR/AWD also has “Comfort Suspension”, and based on my riding experience when I test drove a Model Y Performance in JUL2022 compared to my Model Y (LR/AWD) now, it seems to me that my EV has the “enhanced” suspension. All I know is that my ride is very comfortable. Does that sway your opinion at all?

Ordered my LR/AWD on 09/20/2022 and it was delivered 11/12/2022. Per Elon, my LR/AWD also has “Comfort Suspension”, and based on my riding experience when I test drove a Model Y Performance in JUL2022 compared to my Model Y (LR/AWD) now, it seems to me that my EV has the “enhanced” suspension. All I know is that my ride is very comfortable. Does that sway your opinion at all?
Kind of - I've got a MYLR on order primarily because I come from a sportier(ish) sedan and my wife doesn't like it but if the MYPs are making some improvements in the ride quality and if it were up to me I'd switch to MYP to get it sooner, but not sure if the MYP is as comfortable as what you have now.

Reactions: THEbuz
Kind of - I've got a MYLR on order primarily because I come from a sportier(ish) sedan and my wife doesn't like it but if the MYPs are making some improvements in the ride quality and if it were up to me I'd switch to MYP to get it sooner, but not sure if the MYP is as comfortable as what you have now.
Nor am I, since I haven’t driven a MYP since JUL2022. Sorry. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I ordered the Performance to also get it faster. Otherwise I would be fine with the LR. If you are going to pay for the performance boost on an LR it makes sense to just spring for the Performance anyway imo. The only reason for the range drop seems to be the 21” wheels which is easily fixed.

With performance you get:

Matrix headlights
Larger or more powerful rear motor
3.5 second 0-60
21” wheel set which I like a lot
Better brakes
Spoiler
Lower ride height
Reportedly also receiving comfort suspension

I ordered the Performance to also get it faster. Otherwise I would be fine with the LR. If you are going to pay for the performance boost on an LR it makes sense to just spring for the Performance anyway imo. The only reason for the range drop seems to be the 21” wheels which is easily fixed.

Matrix headlights
3.5 second 0-60
Better brakes
Spoiler
Lower ride height
what are your plans for driving in the winter/snow with the 21" wheels? with the amount of potholes that i encounter (we get freezing and then hot weather, so it's tough on the roads), I would figure that having 19-20" wheels with bigger tire sidewalls would be advantageous. If i switch my order to the performance, i'm debating investing another 3-4000 on a winter tire/wheel set.

also, with the spoiler, i've read a lot of threads about the spoiler keep peeling off (since it's only heavy duty 3M tape that holds it on.

Matrix headlights
3.5 second 0-60
Better brakes
Spoiler
Lower ride height
Agreed. If you want speed and sexy, then why pay $2k for 20-in Induction wheels + $2k for Acceleration Boost (@ 4.2sec 0-60mph) when you can get 21-in Uberturbine wheels and 3.5sec 0-60mph for that same $4k???
LR also has “Comfort Suspension”.
What is different about the brakes? I thought the calipers were just painted red.
What is the matrix headlights all about?

Matrix headlights
3.5 second 0-60
Better brakes
Spoiler
Lower ride height
I would have gone with the performance but at the time I ordered (Sept 21) there was just about 10k difference in price, so I could not justify. I added the performance boost and I'm happy. If I'm ordering now, definitely performance all the way. I think Tesla made the pricing structure so as to push people to buy the higher profit performance. When I ordered mine, I had to wait for mine until May 22, but once the price difference shrunk people went for the performance, plus production ramped up as well

what are your plans for driving in the winter/snow with the 21" wheels? with the amount of potholes that i encounter (we get freezing and then hot weather, so it's tough on the roads), I would figure that having 19-20" wheels with bigger tire sidewalls would be advantageous. If i switch my order to the performance, i'm debating investing another 3-4000 on a winter tire/wheel set.

also, with the spoiler, i've read a lot of threads about the spoiler keep peeling off (since it's only heavy duty 3M tape that holds it on.
Exactly what I did. Tsportline 19” wheels with Michelin xice. Sucked to pay for but it will split the wear with the summer tires and it will be safer.

Agreed. If you want speed and sexy, then why pay $2k for 20-in Induction wheels + $2k for Acceleration Boost (@ 4.2sec 0-60mph) when you can get 21-in Uberturbine wheels and 3.5sec 0-60mph for that same $4k???
LR also has “Comfort Suspension”.
What is different about the brakes? I thought the calipers were just painted red.
What is the matrix headlights all about?
The brake calipers are upgraded and the rotors are larger I’ve read. 2mm wider rotors. Reports say they are changing rear calipers from Brembo calipers to Mando which is probably to save them money but still charge us.

Matrix headlights have clusters of LED lights instead of one. A camera can tell the headlight where an object is and to stop lighting it by shutting off specific LEDs. They might have future ability to turn and lead the light into corners like my Ford Lightning EV did, but that is speculation.

I would have gone with the performance but at the time I ordered (Sept 21) there was just about 10k difference in price, so I could not justify. I added the performance boost and I'm happy. If I'm ordering now, definitely performance all the way. I think Tesla made the pricing structure so as to push people to buy the higher profit performance. When I ordered mine, I had to wait for mine until May 22, but once the price difference shrunk people went for the performance, plus production ramped up as well
I agree 100%. With a 10k spread it wouldn’t have happened for me either!

Exactly what I did. Tsportline 19” wheels with Michelin xice. Sucked to pay for but it will split the wear with the summer tires and it will be safer.

The brake calipers are upgraded and the rotors are larger I’ve read. 2mm wider rotors. Reports say they are changing rear calipers from Brembo calipers to Mando which is probably to save them money but still charge us.

Matrix headlights have clusters of LED lights instead of one. A camera can tell the headlight where an object is and to stop lighting it by shutting off specific LEDs. They might have future ability to turn and lead the light into corners like my Ford Lightning EV did, but that is speculation.

I agree 100%. With a 10k spread it wouldn’t have happened for me either!
“The brake calipers are upgraded and the rotors are larger I’ve read. 2mm wider rotors. Reports say they are changing rear calipers from Brembo calipers to Mando which is probably to save them money but still charge us.

Matrix headlights have clusters of LED lights instead of one. A camera can tell the headlight where an object is and to stop lighting it by shutting off specific LEDs. They might have future ability to turn and lead the light into corners like my Ford Lightning EV did, but that is speculation.”

I don’t pretend to comprehend what larger rotors do, but sounds like a good thing! 👍🏻

Matrix headlights sound awesome. Sounds like TESLA’s w/o Matrix headlights are still LED but a cluster rather than an array—from what you’ve said. Again, somewhat over my technical comprehension—but sounds awesome!

Reactions: RavenYZF-R6