Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First time poster - Shopping a used 3.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dual non-performance is a pretty nice sweet spot. The current theory is that hardware is identical, as is performance above ~20mph.

I agree 100%. Unless you plan to bring the car to a track, one extra second to 60 mph is not worth the extra $9,000 or $14,000... though it is very tempting.

Earlier in the week delivery of the duel motor non-performance model was 2-4 months...so it was tempting to go with the performance (2 month delivery window), now with the order by October 15th to get delivery by the end of the year...non-performance is the way to go (mho).

Good evening all. First time post, new to the forums.. Forgive me if out of place where I am putting this...

With that said, I am educated on the basics of the 3, but now seriously looking at pulling the trigger on a used model. (I am located in Orlando, FL, and a fair amount of used models now on the market.)

With that, was hoping the community might have some overall input on the thought of purchasing a used model?

Purpose of this vehicle is a daily driver through the chaotic Orlando market, with limited trips to the coast and some trips along the I-75 corridor to the Chattanooga, TN area. Car enthusiast, have owned a pair of Lotus, AMG's, Porsches, handful of Corvettes, etc. With that said, lived in the hills of Tennessee at the time and had some amazing roads. Now, back in my home town of Orlando and curves and such simply do not exist here.. So.. Here we are...

Few questions I had...

- Buying a used model, have no concept of whether the vehicles will come with chargers or not.. Might you tell me the ordeal of getting chargers and then the act of install? (Forgive the ignorance on this one.)

- The LTE.. (Cell...) Are all units LTE "lifetime" now? Is that transferable?

- Supercharging is not free or included on the 3, correct?

- Any general input the community might have to assist me in the decision of which unit, etc, as I continue to narrow down the direction I am going?

Cannot say enough how much I appreciate any assist here as I jump into a new realm for me!

Thanks again!

Shawn
Welcome to the forums. If your like me in any way you will be here more than you expected.
Personally if your going to buy used the model 3 is not the way to go with current market/ tax credit.
Supercharging is very minimal expense compared to gasoline equivalent. All M3 are enabled to supercharge but it will cost based on kWh delivered or based on time spent charging. (If you purchase a new vehicle I can refer you to get 100$ credit towards that, Pm me for the code.)

New cars now have 1 year of premium connectivity, after that it’s a small fee (comparable fee to Spotify/ Netflix).

If you decide to get the X then used may be a viable option; with several On the market in the 60s and all of which come with free unlimited supercharging.

Whichever you decide best fits your life and budget you will be happy.

If you do end up going new instead of used, at least use someone’s referral. Not as enticing as before, but you at least get $100 in Supercharger credits and the other gets some swag.

The 3 is still less than a year old, so most people trying to sell are capitalizing on the instant gratification factor, rather than there being any good deals out there

Really cannot say how much I appreciate the input from everyone! As mentioned, getting a performance loaner overnight on Sunday.. Will really tell me a lot having a night to run it wild.

I can say though, I had no intention of liking the X as much as I did.. (Reason they try and make you test them.) Having a 2 year old and such, a lot of logic starting kicking in...... So weighing this heavily.

I am looking at tax credit, depreciation credit as a business vehicle (if new,) as well as used options on the X while considering the 3 as well... Several '17 model X's now in the $70-$75 range, so a fair amount of inventory to look at.. (Equally equipped new $87,600 before incentives.)

I always battle with new cars due to the simple fact I go through cars like candy.. So resale and ability to turn quickly is always a consideration for me.

So I am a bit on the fence, heavily weighing pros and cons of both. By all means, keep the input coming!

Seems like your logic is well thought out.

Problem with choosing a model/configuration is that they are all good.

Where you will be using the Tesla will help you make up your mind. In Fla you will put all the corner carving out of your consideration, even if this was a major consideration and source of pleasure to you in the past. Your needs have changed.

If you live in a congested city, the Model 3 is a great choice. Nimble, fast and easier to park.
If you live in a non congested area, then I totally understand your interest in a Model X. It eats up the miles, handles exceptionally well for a SUV, has those great falcon wing doors to make getting the car seats put in and out a breeze. Lots of room in the back for hauling around kid stuff or strollers.

If you own a business, the Section 179 acellerated depreciation makes it an economic no brainer. Will net out far less expensive than a Model 3. X-75's have recently been performance upgraded to 4.9 sec. 0-60. Pretty fast no matter who you ask. The instant throttle response makes it seem even faster. The large front windshield makes for much more open feeling, especially for your passengers.

Both of them have the super useful Frunk to carry all the kid stuff. The 3 has a trunk while the X has a hatch. Both have flat fold down rear seats making them super convenient.

I went to the showroom to buy a Model S, but ended up with a Model X due to the luxurious interior volume and business tax benefits.

Sounds like you are closing in on a good choice..

Your story is not unique. So many former ICE auto enthusiasts are being drawn to the superior all electric drive of Tesla.

I used to drive and club race Vipers, so I understand the allure and excitement of a great handling sports car, but the comprimises to get track capability are significant.