Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fisker Eco-Chic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From CarScoop via AutoblogGreen. . .

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2007/10/31/detroit-2008-preview-fisker-hybrid-revealed/

I'm not sure about the grinning grill, and I definitely wouldn't want those wheels on the production cars, but otherwsie. . . This car is a knockout! It's beautiful!

I'll reserve further enthusiasm until after more has been revealed about what's under the hood. There's also the question of whether I could ever bring myself to drive a car named "Eco-Chic", no matter how it looks.

fisker1-450.jpg

csp_fiskerhby-1.jpg

Manufacturing?

Fisker hasn't actually manufactured cars before this, am I right?

Where are they going to assemble 15,000 cars per year?

It seems to me they'll either have to build their own factory (as Tesla are doing in New Mexico) or else they'll have to contract out the assembly to some established player (as Tesla are doing with Lotus).

There aren't many options in terms of companies who will assemble cars other than their own branded products. Lotus couldn't handle that kind of capacity, and the only other one that immediately comes to my mind is Magna. (Yes, the same company who are supplying the new Roadster transmission.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magna_International

Tesla has mentioned larger expansion plans for New Mexico. Perhaps the "Eco Chic" isn't the Whitestar, but perhaps Tesla could be planning to build "Eco Chic" for Fisker alongside the Whitestar? Perhaps Whitestar will just be the "full BEV" version of the "Eco Chic"?

Some other small manufacturers do exist... Saleen, Shelby, Panoz, etc.

Tesla has mentioned larger expansion plans for New Mexico. Perhaps the "Eco Chic" isn't the Whitestar, but perhaps Tesla could be planning to build "Eco Chic" for Fisker alongside the Whitestar? Perhaps Whitestar will just be the "full BEV" version of the "Eco Chic"?

I didn't want to go there because it's pure speculation... but thats what this thread is, right? I agree, TEG. Tesla may be considering partnering up with someone (aka, Fisker) to give them the capital they need and a broader selection of vehicles to market.

Time for a update on this thread. The unveiling is only 4 days away!

Fisker Automotive Inc. is a joint venture between Henrik Fisker (Fisker Coachbuild LLC) and Quantum Technologies

Quantum Technologies Press Release

Fisker Automotive

Quantum Technologies

Quantum Technologies would appear to have quite a bit of engine, powertrain and alternative fuel vehicle experience. Their customers include Toyota and GM.

It has been reported to have a 50 mile battery only range with either gas or diesel engine range extender.

Green Car Congress

Show me a 50 mile all electric range with a B100 capable diesel range extender and I will need to place a preorder deposit!

Last edited:
Time for a update on this thread. The unveiling is only 4 days away!

Show me a 50 mile all electric range with a B100 capable diesel range extender and I will need to place a preorder deposit!

Do you have a source that they'll unveil at Detroit or something? Geeze, I almost forgot about these guys. Hope you're right.

Their website says $100,000 for the premium signature cars 1-100; sound familiar? Otherwise, MSRP is $80,000, by about 2010. So far, no EV manufacturer has hit its target production date.

That price puts them squarely in the "luxury sedan" market. There are good profit margins to be found in that business, but owners also have very high expectations of their vehicles... I'm not sure if an automotive startup would be able to achieve them with their first model...

It'll be easier to gauge their chances of success after they publish more information about the car... but for now I remain pessimistic.

-Ryan

I was very skeptical of Fisker Automotive when I first saw the announcement. (I figured it was just another ZAP-X) But after reading the following comment by TruDat on Green Car Congress I decided to take a closer look.

Maybe I can help shed some light on some of the questions poster are asking and that are being answered by other posters who don't know the facts but purport to. Fisker Automotive is a joint venture between Fisker Coachbuild and Quantum Fuelsystems. Quantum (QTWW) merged with Tecstar Automotive a couple years ago. Most of you have probably never heard of Tecstar, they have about 25 years experience in developing high end prototype vehicles for GM, their list of accomplishments include the Buick Grand National, 2Oth Anniversary Firebird, GMC Cyclone, GMC Typhoon, and the C5 Corvette. They also developed the Turbo version of the Porsche 944. So needless to say they have developed some of the most technologically advanced vehicles of their time. They then moved into actual production of vehicles and built every Z71 version of Chevy trucks and SUVs for several years. So they have experience in both creating high end prototypes and production of vehicles on a mass scale (millions). They also develop and build vehicles for Foose (Chip Foose) including the Foose Mustang and new Foose F-150. Never before has there been a hybrid that looks great, gets 100MPG and actually has some performance so it will be fun to drive.

Review of their web site seemed to back up most of these claims and being a public company a quick glance at their financials showed that they did have over a million square feet of facilities across the country.

Based on this, I decided to keep an open mind and see what they have to show.

A lot of "Wired" announcements on that page.

A nunber that seems to keep poping up is 40 miles per charge. I know it's based on battery "limitations" but I also got a feeling that they are trying to burn that number into the public's brain as all you can (ever) get from batteries.

A nunber that seems to keep poping up is 40 miles per charge. I know it's based on battery "limitations" but I also got a feeling that they are trying to burn that number into the public's brain as all you can (ever) get from batteries.
There might be some truth to it. All RE-EV vehicles I've seen so have chosen to use higher-cycle-life-lower-density battery formulations.

Pure battery EVs can get higher range because they can use lower-cycle-life-high-density batteries, simply because they're not cycled as aggressively. They can use the weight and space saved from the engine and gas tank for more cells.

-Ryan

Does anyone know the approximate shortest time period it would take (in theory) to get a new car from drawing board to sales?

Fisker is saying the Karma could be out as soon as 2009-2010. This time frame seems optimistic, perhaps unrealistic. Don't GM and Toyota take three to four years to get through the process? That would mean 2011-2012 at the earliest.