Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fisker Karma

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if it will qualify for the new California green HOV stickers?
The 2011 Volt didn't due to emissions too high, but supposedly the 2012 Volt is modified to be cleaner, and is supposed to get the stickers.
Apparently the regulation was written so that a car had to be similarly clean & efficient to the upcoming plug-in Prius to qualify.
(But apparently, cars like the Prius, that have to run the ICE when at freeway speeds can still qualify.)

I wonder if it will qualify for the new California green HOV stickers?
I'm hearing the Karma will not qualify. As I understand it, in addition to the emissions requirements there is also a minimum warranty requirement that the Karma likely does not meet.
(As an aside, it's pretty silly that the 2011 Volt does not qualify for the green stickers, particularly since GM had a hand in creating the program.)

Except that the plug-in Prius does qualify, even though in practice it is likely to burn more gas.

The result of better coordination between Toyota engineers and their lobbying efforts, I assume.
Chelsea Sexton: SB 535, HOV access for plug-in and the unintended consequences of easy political wins - Autoblog Green
lne937s 3:48PM (9/28/2010)
...GM lawyers wrote and promoted legislation to carve out a hole for their hybrid for HOV use because it did not qualify as an EV under the law (EV's have HOV access). Then because GM lobbyists didn't talk to GM engineers (they probably assumed the car would match Prius emissions) the car doesn't qualify for the special incentive they spent untold dollars lobbying to have carved out for it. People should be mad at GM for being so incompetent rather than getting upset with the government of California for passing legislation sponsored by GM.

By, the way, I see Doug commented on this a long while back here:
California extends unrestricted use of carpool lanes by EVs until 2015, removes hybrids Autoblog Green
Doug:
It's unclear what this means for plug-in hybrids like the Volt. I'm sure GM and other such manufacturers (Fisker?) will lobby to get the incentive.

I think I've said this elsewhere, but I think it would make sense to have a provision so that EVs incapable of freeway speeds, e.g. the impotent Smart ED (limited to 62 mph), do not get HOV access.
July 09 2010 at 4:42 PM

Last edited:
In that video, he said "100 miles per gallon" equivalent.
I wonder if that was assuming you only ever drove it in all electric "stealth" mode?
I would think effective MPGe would be less if the gasoline engine is involved.

Has anyone seen an EPA rating sticker for it?

Not EPA but the Autocar review has what I presume are the NEDC European equivalent numbers.

We already knew they are a joke, but I think plug in hybrids are really showing up the folly of deriving emissions figures from sticking a car on a rolling road for 6 miles.

Well, I test drove the Karma today in the event here in Dallas Texas.

What a great ride and well sorted out car. The interior electronics and appointments are fantastic.

The drive felt more sportscar-ish then luxury car....though not like driving an M series kinda power.

Really really liked it. I know people have stated that the engine sound when it comes on is loud...but I didn't find it a problem at all.

Now I wish the Roadster was better appointed on the interior!

I'll post pics if anyone wants but regardless...nice option to have out there.

I don't get it.... The Fisker Karma is a very pretty car (but why the girls in vinyl bikinis?) but it's only a plug-in hybrid. Sure the drive train is electric, but batteries charged by an ICE make it actually a sexy Prius doesn't it?
Comparing it to the Volt would be more accurate, but that's a silly statement regardless. Do you think of Ferrari as just a sexy Yugo?

There are an awful lot of people that simply don't care about something being all electric. They want sexy, good mileage, some get up and go, 4 seats, etc. At the Karma's price tag, I'd expect it to wow people.

nope...the best pic I have of the info screen was when I switched and sat in the back seat. The screen was awesome though...just a bit low.

It was also really well done, fast and responsive. No lagging at all. I think someone mentioned it before in another thread, the biggest problem most likely will be trunk space.

Well, I test drove the Karma today in the event here in Dallas Texas.

What a great ride and well sorted out car. The interior electronics and appointments are fantastic.

The drive felt more sportscar-ish then luxury car....though not like driving an M series kinda power.

Really really liked it. I know people have stated that the engine sound when it comes on is loud...but I didn't find it a problem at all.

Now I wish the Roadster was better appointed on the interior!

I'll post pics if anyone wants but regardless...nice option to have out there.

Great, thank you for the picture. I would like to try one, but I think I will be disapointed, because it's not a real electric car. But I would stand corrected.

But hey, where was this test driving? On a parkin lot? Couldn't they have organised something a little bit prettier? Your pictures are good. But with a better surrounding....

Regardless of whether you like the car...whether you think it's worth the price or not...I for one am just glad there's another option out there for a car that does better than the typical 20-30 MPG or the "eco" 50 MPG.

While most of us would probably prefer a pure electric--the fact of the matter is there are still people out there who have issues with EV range--and many for good reason. For those who drive long distances frequently, the fact of the matter is that range and recharge times just aren't quite to the point where EVs are practical for everyone.

So for those people, most of us can probably agree that this car is at least a step in the right direction.

Regardless of whether you like the car...whether you think it's worth the price or not...I for one am just glad there's another option out there for a car that does better than the typical 20-30 MPG or the "eco" 50 MPG.

While most of us would probably prefer a pure electric--the fact of the matter is there are still people out there who have issues with EV range--and many for good reason. For those who drive long distances frequently, the fact of the matter is that range and recharge times just aren't quite to the point where EVs are practical for everyone.
Seconded. I have no interest in buying the Karma, but I think it looks hot as can be and I hope it does well. On range, 99% of my wife's driving is well within the 160 battery range of the low end Model S, but about once a month she needs to drive about 250 miles round trip so, consequently, she needs a car with range. The 300 mile Model S will probably do that so we're seriously considering the 300 mile version rather than the 160 (which would be fine for me).

I hope Fisker does great and fills a needed niche. Though I hope Telsa does even better because I think that's the long term future.

Great, thank you for the picture. I would like to try one, but I think I will be disapointed, because it's not a real electric car. But I would stand corrected.

But hey, where was this test driving? On a parkin lot? Couldn't they have organised something a little bit prettier? Your pictures are good. But with a better surrounding....

It was at the Sewell Dealership here in Dallas. Sewell Subaru to be exact. Good choice in all honesty. Sewell owns many dealerships here in Texas. Sewell Lexus being one of their best known. But in general, Sewell is known for their customer service. They take care of everyone who buys in their "family". Really exemplary. The Fisker guys told me that their model was to use existing dealerships for service of their cars and chose Sewell here in Dallas. Great choice IMHO.

The dealership is by Dallas Love Field close to the heart of the city and about 15 mins where I live. It was a nice drive around the block. They were prepared to do some highway runs (had a toll tag with them) but the schedule was so busy they kept people on the side roads (though they still let us floor it).

Next time I will try to set up a better shoot and bring some models along:tongue:

:wink:

The nice part about test driving the car was to see what was out there and the competition.

It made me realize that if it were to replace one of my cars (my TDI wagon), that I needed space to haul stuff and have a hitch for my mt bike/road bike carrier...

It all of a sudden got me looking at the Model S and the rumored X.

so all in all good!

I too hope they succeed. I think there is space for plug-in hybrids that have a meaningful EV only range (say better than 30 miles), particularly in the luxury segment. (Hope to see the Cadillac Converj ship too.) But I don't see the Karma as particularly efficient. It looks like it's going to get around 25 mpg when the EV only range is spent.