Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fisker Karma

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Says 630 cars sold so far.

Can't tell if that's bad or good. That's about 157 cars delivered per month. There are people waiting for Karmas while there are dealers with Karmas on the lot. Either way you slice it, they'll need to sell more than that in a single month to meet their stated goals. Does anyone know the number they have to reach to be profitable on the Karma in general? I'm pretty sure they make a nice profit on each one, but I mean with overhead and paying off debts and such?

630 cars is about 69 million dollars. If we assume 30% of that is profit and 70% is the production cost, they've made about $20 million that can go towards paying down loans and the development cost. The DOE loan towards the Fisker Karma was by itself $169 million, so at this rate they'll take about three years to pay down the DOE loan. Assuming the novelty of the Fisker Karma doesn't wear off and the customer base dissolves.

Can't tell if that's bad or good. That's about 157 cars delivered per month. There are people waiting for Karmas while there are dealers with Karmas on the lot. Either way you slice it, they'll need to sell more than that in a single month to meet their stated goals. Does anyone know the number they have to reach to be profitable on the Karma in general? I'm pretty sure they make a nice profit on each one, but I mean with overhead and paying off debts and such?
Probably quite good. I saw three Karmas yesterday at their dealer in Zurich. The first car will get its license plates today. It has taken some time to get them through in otherwise fairly quick and unbereaucratic Switzerland. So sales are really just starting now. Apart from that, the cars exhibited look nice, but it is a very large and heavy car - a real challenge to park and if you found a spot you may not get out anymore. Cars 2m (78.7") wide are not very handy in our lands.

Last week Fisker hosted a brief live Q&A with their customers. CR has a summery:

Fisker Q&A reveals other owners face Karma challenges, solutions are promised - Consumer Reports

Fisker had previously announced that is was working with supplier A123 Systems on a battery recall, related to our own problems. However, we have experienced several other problems since our Karma was repaired, seemingly unrelated to the battery pack. Needless to say, we found the FAQ interesting. Select highlights are shared below:
Follow link above.

Stopped by the Yorba Linda building last night for a charge. Kinda dicey going behind an industrial building for hours even in a nicer neighborhood. Funny to see a Karma sitting back there plugged in.

I ended up filling elsewhere.

If I hear one "Biebermobile" more time...

040712_justin_bieber_selena_gomez_chickfila_FFN120407102626.jpg

Justin+Bieber+Justin+Bieber+Shines+Thru+Chick+yQAlojkDoe_l.jpg

Justin+Bieber+Justin+Bieber+Shines+Thru+Chick+NpmUnWbKB0wl.jpg

Sort of a paradox...
You got your shades and hat, tinted windows so no one will recognize you - yet you got the flashiest car on the street so that everyone notices you coming from far away.

US senators question gov't loan to Fisker Automotive

Charles Grassley, the top Republican on the Judiciary Committee, and John Thune, a senior Republican member of the Finance and Commerce committees, asked Energy Secretary Steven Chu whether it was wise to grant financing to Fisker, which ran into production problems after receiving part of the loan.

Grassley and Thune asked Chu whether he believed it was prudent to spend taxpayer funds to help finance Fisker's development of high-end vehicles. They also want to know the degree of technical expertise the DOE used to evaluate, originate and monitor the loan.

Agency spokesman Damien LaVera said DOE financing programs have strict conditions and borrowers must meet milestones and other conditions to receive loan proceeds.

He added that startup delays are common, and that the DOE is working with Fisker to review a new business plan and determine "the best path forward so the company can meet its benchmarks, produce cars and employ workers" in the United States.

This is great:
"If the vice president can't deliver a little renegotiation for his own state, what's the point of having him?" Gingrich said
Rephrased:
"If Biden can't use his influence to bring political pork back to his state, he must be incompentent."

How cynical is this, to be judging a national office-holder on whether he's willing to exploit his office?