Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fisker Karma

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you watch the EVWorld interview with Ray Lane I posted above, he says the Nina is going to be a $50K to $60K car. That is a bit more than we had heard before. The interviewer said he thought it was supposed to be a $40K car, and Lane said that was after tax breaks.

Regardless, that volume is probably a bit optimistic.

Btw, there are supposed to be three versions of the Nina: the sedan, an SUV/crossover, and something else (perhaps a coupe).

| ElectroVelocity | Fisker Automotive The Karma and Project Nina

...Fisker is not so secretly working on “Project Nina” which, as Joe Biden so kindly overshared with us all last year, will consist of a coupe, a sedan and a crossover and we are expecting to see these hitting the road in late 2012 or early 2013 at targeted price point of $40,000 USD before tax credits. That should place it at the high end of the affordable car market for middle class America...

Fisker, the vast rightwing conspiracy, and the $528 Mil DOE loan - National Green Transportation | Examiner.com
...This second car is what Fisker calls Project NINA and is targeted at a more modest $39,000 list price and will be produced in the U.S...

Perhaps articles like the above were the result of them not qualifying "after" credits well enough?

How is this for confusing:
Biden Blurts Out Fisker Nina Plug-In Hybrid Line: Sedan, Coupe, Crossover
Fisker's Nina will join a growing number of compact or midsize plug-in cars aiming for $40,000 price, before or after a $7,500 Federal tax credit. The best-known is the 2011 Chevrolet Volt extended-range electric vehicle, followed by the fully electric 2012 Nissan Leaf.

First Fisker Karma EV Delivered to KP's Ray Lane : Greentech Media
Both the Karma and Chevy Volt qualify for a $7,500 federal tax credit.

The Karma will cost around $95,000 for a base model, up from earlier estimates of $80,000. The Nina, a mid-range sedan, is slated for 2012 and will cost around $40,000. Tesla's sedan is due in 2012, as well.
Isn't that $95K Karma price before the credit, but the $40K Nina price is now said to be after the credit (and still too low?)

Anyways, I think the Nina was thought of as competing with Volt, and Leaf, not the more upscale Model S which is more a competitor for Karma.

Last edited:
Speaking of the $7,500 'credit'. What happened to the effort to make that something that the dealers factor into the pre-purchase price rather than having customers claim it on next year's taxes?

If you watch the EVWorld interview with Ray Lane I posted above, he says the Nina is going to be a $50K to $60K car. That is a bit more than we had heard before.
Yes, we have seen that Fisker is not afraid to raise prices after earlier announcing something lower.

Last edited:
I saw a Fisker at a UTI car show last month. The UTI mechanics are being trained to maintain and troubleshoot the Karma. Every mechanic that I talked to had nothing good to say about the car except for its looks. The software, electronics and the integration of electric drive with the ICE were described as unreliable nightmares. The car that was on display at the show consistently breaks down. They weren’t even sure they were going to be able to drive it from the garage to the parking lot for the show.

Updated website: Fisker Automotive

More EVer and fewer high heals.

homepage.jpg

Hmm... I thought Fisker was aiming for earlier than 2014 with its SUV. In any case, the plans seem to reach to 2017 and it seems Fisker has no plans of getting rid of the ICE through that period. It does mention the new Karma in 2017 having an engine that would burn cleaner fuels and reduce emissions.

I don't know... It all feels like Henrik just wanted his own line of cars (and not coachbuilds) and didn't think his brand would take off as a traditional, so he opted to throw around the "EV" and "green" thing to drum up hype and funding. Doesn't seem THAT dedicated to making efficient cars -- just pretty ones.

...I don't know... It all feels like Henrik just wanted his own line of cars (and not coachbuilds) and didn't think his brand would take off as a traditional, so he opted to throw around the "EV" and "green" thing to drum up hype and funding. Doesn't seem THAT dedicated to making efficient cars -- just pretty ones.

Well there is the whole "Tesla had approached him, and gave him a bunch of ideas" angle to consider...

I don't understand why Fisker isn't developing it's own engine (at this point)or using lotus' specifically designed ICE for range extender! Using an off the shelf ICE that's meant to motivate a car is not going to perform optimally for generating. It will do the job, but I'm sure a ICE generator will improve mpg.

I don't understand why Fisker isn't developing it's own engine (at this point)or using lotus' specifically designed ICE for range extender! Using an off the shelf ICE that's meant to motivate a car is not going to perform optimally for generating. It will do the job, but I'm sure a ICE generator will improve mpg.

Likely because he doesn't really care. BMW engine under the hood sounds better than some lotus optimized range extender thingy! (being facetious, but still).