Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Five month 15,500 charging/degradation summary

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had a 2022 MYP for five months. It's a vehicle that I have paid monthly to have either 4k or 3k miles per month. I "should" have 17k miles, but I'm returning it with 15.5k miles.

I got the car with four miles. It now varies between 279 and 283 at 100%. All miles have been Supercharged and I have gone to 100% or close to it 28 times, the rest to around 80 to 85%. So, that's a 6.6% to 7.9% loss over 15.5k miles and five months.

I don't think the battery loss looks different compared to other Teslas that haven't been charged this way.

Total cost of charging was $1733.89, with only 30 miles charged at my house. The overall cost per mile comes out to $0.11186 or the equivalent of $5.59/gallon assuming 50 miles per gallon (our Prius Prime gets between 50 mpg or 70 mpg without plugging it in).

I do have a charger at home, but Supercharging was part of the arrangement.

I thought some of you would be interested in the data. I'm returning the car today and will either:

(1) get another new one when it's warm again. I travel 200 miles between states on Fridays, and that's after a 60 miles drive to work. The car gets around 280, so 220 when I get to work, and winter could be half the 280, so I would rather not deal with the inconvenience. I would never have to deal with Tesla if something went wrong with the car, they would give me another one.

(2) take delivery of a M3 LFP to test out 50k useage per year on a hopefully more durable battery; or

(3) if the $7500 tax credit goes through, buy a new MYP

(4) this car would be 66k buy out at 15.5k with all of that Supercharging on the battery

I'm leaning to either doing what I'm doing currently, or buying a M3 LFP and getting the MYP for summers.

If we drove 50k/yr on a MYP, that would be 250k miles after five years and likely another 20k for a battery, possibly a drive unit or two, lots of tires and who knows what repairs.

Last edited:
You seem to be doing a lot of cost analysis on this which leads me to believe that is a major driving factor for your decisions. With used Teslas selling for more than new Teslas it seems like you're just throwing money away by leasing instead of buying. You could potentially buy a new car, treat it properly, charge at home, and when you want the new hotness order a new one and sell the old one private party. And all the while not wasting your life sitting at superchargers until 100%.

What is your electricity rate? Why don't you charge the Prius? How much time do you spend sitting at Superchargers?

For me personally even if I had free Supercharging and there was a Supercharger site conveniently placed between work and home I'd still charge at home. This is one of the glorious benefits of electric vehicles. I don't have to go anywhere special for the car. It takes me less than ten seconds to plug in and unplug the car every day in my garage. If you feel you need that 100% charge and don't want to do that to a battery you own you could do schedule departure and it wouldn't sit at 100% for more than a few minutes.

Reactions: boulder.dude
There is a charger a mile away from my home. It's not a lease. I had it for five months. There is a minimum of two months. It made sense based on my 50k yearly mileage.

I teach math and physics, so I'm a bit analytical. :)

We charge the Prius. We go between NY and PA, rates are around $0.11, so not much. I would need to look at our bill. Without charging, the Prius gets 50 to 70 mpg.

I have had a 2022 MYP for five months. It's a vehicle that I have paid monthly to have either 4k or 3k miles per month. I "should" have 17k miles, but I'm returning it with 15.5k miles.

I got the car with four miles. It now varies between 279 and 283 at 100%. All miles have been Supercharged and I have gone to 100% or close to it 28 times, the rest to around 80 to 85%. So, that's a 6.6% to 7.9% loss over 15.5k miles and five months.

I don't think the battery loss looks different compared to other Teslas that haven't been charged this way.

It's somewhat surprising that charging to 100% so many times has not really made that much of a difference.

I'm an engineer. Thanks for the interesting data. 👍

Reactions: Physicslawyer