Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Five months and still no $8500, nor $1000 for charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, I think you're ok Wayne...it says that "you have to "apply (for the rebate) within 6 months"...you have already "applied" within that timeframe imo...
Unless somebody lost the application. I called the MTO a month ago and they said that they had no record of my application. I called Scott at Lawrence Ave at that time and he said that they often say that - it is probably sitting on a pile and they just haven't gotten to it yet.

I called again today and they said that they received the application on June 1 - note that my car was delivered on Jan 4. She said that the backlog isn't too bad right now which somewhat contradicts DMC's statement above.

Got my car the last week of March. Got my rebate in the mail 5 days ago.

- - - Updated - - -

No, I think you're ok Wayne...it says that "you have to "apply (for the rebate) within 6 months"...you have already "applied" within that timeframe imo...
Does the six month limit apply to the Tesla charger as well? Bought the charger at the same time as the car but did not realize that it would take so long to get a garage built. Our house backs onto a river and the permitting was difficult.

Sorry, I don't know Phillip...I've never applied for the charge station rebate...

Well, the electrician is wiring the garage today. In hind site I should have waited to order the charger separately from the car, since it is shipped by courier separately anyway and I would have not had this concern; but I had no idea putting up the garage would take so long because of zoning issues. I know another Tesla owner in Owen Sound put in a Tesla charger but could not run it at 100 amps after the electrical inspector checked it out. So, my electrician spoke with the city inspector before installing it. Not essential but it would be nice to get the full charging capacity working.

Yes, Tesla normally submits the documents on the owner's behalf, then you have to wait for the cheque to arrive. Most other auto dealers will simply deduct the credit right on the purchase agreement and deal with recouping the money from the Province themselves.

Tesla Motors Montreal does it the latter way, at least for Québec residents. 8,000$ credited to your bill right off the top. I guess $8,000 immediate is better than $8,500 in three months, as long as you invest it immediately in TSLA.

Tesla Motors Montreal does it the latter way, at least for Québec residents. 8,000$ credited to your bill right off the top. I guess $8,000 immediate is better than $8,500 in three months, as long as you invest it immediately in TSLA.

That's very interesting to note. There is nothing particularly onerous about the Ontario process allowing dealers to credit right on the bill of sale. I just assumed Tesla didn't want to be out-of-pocket for the period between the date of sale and receipt of the incentive payment. Wonder why they are okay with this in Quebec?

That's very interesting to note. There is nothing particularly onerous about the Ontario process allowing dealers to credit right on the bill of sale. I just assumed Tesla didn't want to be out-of-pocket for the period between the date of sale and receipt of the incentive payment. Wonder why they are okay with this in Quebec?

For the record, Tesla Toronto used to credit the rebate at the time of sale and apply to the government. They did that for my Roadster... and the government mailed me the check by accident (yes I sent it back). I'm pretty sure Tesla stopped doing it because the Ontario Government kept screwing up the process, and they got tired of the hassle.

I just received a letter from the MTO that says they are disallowing $48 of my Charger rebate so that I will only get $952 rather than $1000. But still no money, neither the $8500 nor the $952. In a couple of days it will be six months.

I called to get more details but had to leave a voicemail - this was with MTO rather than Revenue.

edit - Just got my call back from MTO and the claim was forwarded on to them from Revenue so I should be getting the $8500 any day know and the charger rebate in about two weeks.

Last edited:
My DS mentioned Tesla will submit on my behalf. The wait for $8500 begins. Submitted my application for the charger install and purchase today via email.

- - - Updated - - -

It would make for a much better customer experience and for those of us choosing to finance, a lower payment.

I am finally getting my $8500. I looked at my bank account online and it shows my deposit of $8500 postdated to July 6. If I am remembering my delivery day correctly that will be six months and one day from when I got my car.