Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery faulted after sitting in Tesla Service for 5 months - still in service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2013 Model S that I took into Tesla Santa Monica November 29th, 2021 for a recall and because the AC wasn't working. When it was returned to my property, I got in and it wouldn't start. I took it to Tesla Burbank where they diagnosed the problem as related to the ACDC converter. They returned the car, and yet again it wouldn't start. This then happened two more times. Early April they asked if the screen had any bubbling when I brought it in. Definitely not. Thankfully they agreed to fix it for free, saying damage had occurred while they were replacing the ACDC converter. Two weeks later, they called and said the battery had faulted and would need to be replaced in its entirety and I'd need to pay for a whole new battery - $11k. They are crediting back the payments I already made that didn't fix the car, but still that's a very hefty bill. The car was working fine back in November sans the broken AC.

Has this happened to any other owners? Tips on getting this solved? It's still unclear how the battery just randomly faulted and why this wasn't caught five months ago. I keep trying to reason with the manager and regional manager, but they are sticking me with the bill and said either pay it or they can give me the car back broken.

I am looking at hiring a lawyer to assist, as this seems ludicrous and the car is no longer covered by warranty. It has 82,000 miles but is past the 8 year mark. Recommendations would be helpful. I loved Tesla but now having one of their cars and experiencing customer service, it's been far from ideal or even fair.

$11k less the credit (whatever that is) for a replacement battery is likely less than what a lawyer is going to cost as well as the significant time and hassle to litigate this.
You also may have signed an arbitration agreement, so you might not even need a lawyer.

Sometimes life just sucks that way. Good luck with whatever avenue you choose.

Reactions: henderrj