Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Five seat interior... Increased cargo space?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

pfbz

Aug 6, 2013
CO
Looking at ordering an MX60D. I have no need for additional people space, but I would like more cargo space.

Any speculation or answers on how the rear area will be configured on X's in the five passenger configuration, without the third row seat? I'm hoping that the cargo floor area will be lowered a few inches, possibly to the same level as when the behind-rear-seat cargo compartment cover is placed in the lower configuration.

Couldn't find this discussed anywhere, and my sales advisor can't find an answer either. Having that 3-4 inch lower cargo floor in the back would really help me out.

Don't know but thought you'd like a couple pictures I took for a friend.

Image: http : //i.imgur.com/JmLV3QM.jpg
JmLV3QM.jpg

Image: http : //i.imgur.com/2g0wBg0.png
2g0wBg0.png

Reactions: EVger
Tesla says the 5-seater will offer "maximum" cargo space, so your thoughts seem quite likely. (I am also hoping the 5-seater will offer a fixed-in-place - as opposed to on motorized posts - second row that folds; that would explain the 5-seater delivery delay, but is still entirely speculative. If it really has the folding seats AND this extra room in the back, I may end up getting one).

But of course, Tesla has not yet released any official details. And in fact, if history is any guide, they won't until well AFTER they are shipping. So we really have to wait until we see a 5-seater to know.

...I am also hoping the 5-seater will offer a fixed-in-place - as opposed to on motorized posts..

I won't even dare to dream that they ditch the post seats (aka Elon's Folly) and go for a folding seat that gives a highly usable, large, FLAT cargo area. Some of us want an SUV to transport things other than rug rats, like dogs, skis, bikes, camping gear and other cargo.

It seems the post seats solved one problem (elegant and easy access to the third row) and created a much bigger problem, lack of a large, flat cargo area.

Reactions: beths11 and ChadS
Thanks, Scottf200, for the photos. I agree with the consensus: The five seat configuration should recover usable cargo space with a large, flat floor and post-less, folding second-row seats. It's unfortunate that we will probably learn about the configuration on this site before we have any meaningful information from Tesla. (My reservation was made in August 2013.)

Reactions: scottf200
Some possible news, some of which may even be reliable. I just received conflicting information from a Tesla store and HQ. This leaves me basically where I was at the time of post # 7 above.

I received a call from a Tesla store asking if I wanted to order the new smaller-battery MX. I asked about the 5-seater and was informed that a 5-seater is now on display in a Tesla store in California. I called HQ to confirm this, they said no 5-seater has yet been produced.

Tesla HQ confirmed the following information provided by the store:
The 5-seat configuration is similar to the 7-seater in that: The second-row seats in the 5-seater do not fold. The outer second-row seats slide and tilt. The middle seat only moves forward. The cargo area floor is flat and has a compartment beneath it for storage (like where a spare tire would have been stored). The storage compartment is big enough to hold a golf bag without clubs. The 5-seater will be available for delivery at the end of the year for those who confirm now. I will wait.

• Informative
Reactions: beths11 and Boourns
Hawthorne hold the keys to the real answers. Dealers/Mechanics/Owners/Reservists/Etc/Etc have no answers, only suggestions/hopes/aspirations for what 5 seaters will look like. There are NO 5 seaters to visualize at this time or the forseeable Q3. Hold on to Q4 or 2017...

Reactions: EVger