Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fixing/Changing Seat Ergonomics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, there's no two ways around it, my Model X seats are not great.

I've been in touch with a couple of local upholstery shops to see if it's possible to change the lumbar support and extend the seat base for better thigh support, and maybe look at any other issues.

Curious if anyone else has gone through this process? Any success stories? What kind of changes were recommended, and what did you change?

I've been in touch with a couple of local upholstery shops to see if it's possible to change the lumbar support and extend the seat base for better thigh support, and maybe look at any other issues.

Curious if anyone else has gone through this process? Any success stories? What kind of changes were recommended, and what did you change?

If you/ they can find a way to move the headrest (it dug into my shoulders on the test drive), I'm all ears!

Reactions: FlyF4
I'm guessing you had the headrest all the way up?

The talked about adding or removing cushioning in key places. I'm curious to see how the discussions go in person.

Yeah, spent an extra 15 minutes monopolizing the showroom vehicle trying to find a good position. I'm 6'8" so not the body size they design for. The extra curve they put into the seat/ headrest combo just doesn't work for me. We did have success placing some padding in the upper seat area to move me forward, but reducing the headrest might also be an option.
I'm waiting on the Y or pickup at this point, so hopefully they go with something more like the 3 seats which did work for me.
Good luck in your search for increased comfort!

I am EXTREMELY interested in your results with this - I am going to have my seats redesigned too. I went as far as to have Tesla replace both front seats under warranty because I didn't think it was possible that a $100k car would have such uncomfortable seats and the new seats (Jan 2018 manufacturer date) are just as uncomfortable as the original seats. Perhaps even more so.

The seat could really use a thigh extension and the lumbar is completely all wrong. I was just at my place in Monaco where my fiancee has acquired a 2018 Mercedes SLC200 with v-tex seats and I couldn't believe how comfortable they were for me. With my Tesla, I was beginning to think my back was just becoming deteriorated.

No fidgeting, constantly adjusting the position/lumbar, etc. - just perfect.

2017 (July 2017 build) MX 75D
5'10", 155lbs, 27 years of age.

If you/ they can find a way to move the headrest (it dug into my shoulders on the test drive), I'm all ears!
Yes Mongo, that dumb designed headrest is about the only thing that bothers me and my son. If you are especially tall (maybe 6 feet or taller), it digs into your shoulders at the base of the headrest. Makes me wonder if a 4 foot tall teenager did the ergonomic test on that headrest. I need a way to correct that problem. Sadly, the vertical adjustment of the headset isn't enough.

• Helpful
Reactions: mongo
Also really hope the seats can have more flexibility to fit multi-purpose usages, such as extending for extra room for the 2nd, 3rd row, or even can turn around (rear-facing). Afterall those r some really expensive set of electric-seats.