Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flat tire cost estimation (do they really charge $200+ for labor?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my Model Y Oct. 5th and just one month after on Nov 4th I have a flat tire.
Requested road assistance service and had someone towed it to a service center last night. Towing is free.

This morning in the app, it shows the cost estimate is $560, with $300 for a new tire and $233 labor fee, $26 tax.

1. The tire is already more expensive than I thought. Do they really charge $200+ for labor?
  2. The service advisor mentioned in the app message later that they haven't looked at my car yet. If they have not looked at it, why would there be a cost estimate?
    1. They are not responding now, so asking here.
  3. Any suggestions if that turns out to be the actual cost? Would towing it to third party for patch or replacement cheaper?

I got my Model Y Oct. 5th and just one month after on Nov 4th I have a flat tire.
Requested road assistance service and had someone towed it to a service center last night. Towing is free.

This morning in the app, it shows the cost estimate is $560, with $300 for a new tire and $233 labor fee, $26 tax.

1. The tire is already more expensive than I thought. Do they really charge $200+ for labor?
  2. The service advisor mentioned in the app message later that they haven't looked at my car yet. If they have not looked at it, why would there be a cost estimate?
  3. Any suggestions if that turns out to be the actual cost? Would towing it to third party for patch or replacement cheaper?
Wouldnt they need to consult you before doing anything? It might just be an estimate for what it could cost.

If you actually needed a new tire, then $200+ for labor does seem a bit high since costco, americas tire, etc will usually charge $25 per to mount and align. I dont know if tesla patches a tire, but traditional car dealers and Tesla may not want to patch it. Therefore a replacement is probably their preferred method. If you have AAA, you can get a free tow to a tire shop, and have it patched for $20 or get a new tire for $300+$25. You have options.

Lol if I'm spending $500-$600, I'll just get a whole new set for around that much (or less) for a different brand tire and keep the other 3 as spares for future replacements.

That amount is ridiculous. I would have had it towed to a wheel and tire shop and paid $30 and plugged or patched the tire n called it a day, especially if it wasn't near the sidewall of the tire. Never take a car to a dealer for things like tires or whatever else that's not dealer specific, unless it's a lease.

Reactions: Happy Hippo
I heard if you just got your car, you can take it to Discount/America's Tire, and get certificates for the OEM tires... Then should you get an unrepairable flat, you can just get a "free" replacement instead of having to fork out additional dough. I would've done that if I knew, since I always go to Discount Tire anyways.

Like most posts not enough info or detail. 21” Uber or 19. Did you blow out the sidewall or just get a small nail. Tesla provides an estimate on Any call paid or not for records. Maybe wait till you have the final verdict before everyone Assumes the end result.

Thanks for everyone's reply! They mentioned it is a nail in the sidewall and updated the estimate to be with $55 labor.

I may ask AAA is they are going to tow my car that is already towed to Tesla service center to an America's Tire store.

A new tire will run around $260 just for the Continental + balance + install.
I discovered a nail in one of my tires last week but it was smack-dab in the center of the tire
allowing it to be patched/plugged. Costco would not touch it, so took it to a local tire shop
and had it repaired for $45 out the door.

I discovered a nail in one of my tires last week but it was smack-dab in the center of the tire
allowing it to be patched/plugged. Costco would not touch it, so took it to a local tire shop
Discount tire patches tires for free, even if you didn't buy the tire from them.

• Love
Reactions: coleman567
It's an unreasonable labor fee for a flat tire (unless it's a luxury car dealership like Lamborghini).

It might be Tesla's way to communicate that generic repairs should be done at generic shops unless you want to pay the labor that could be used for highly specialized Tesla-specific repairs.
They adjusted it to $55 for labor. I am not sure why they previously estimated as $233, but would never bring it to service center for similar issues again.
The agents in the service center are just too busy. When I walked in, standing in front of their desks, all of them were on their laptops responding to messages and not even looking at me until I greeted to them.

Same here in Ohio. I noticed a metal screw in the middle of my 20” tire when I was rotating them. Had it patched for $45 at Grismer Tire store.

Our Model X and Model 3 get a lot of screw or nail in tires. Actually mostly screws. Because Tesla is heavier than normal cars, you will be getting lots of flat tires if you live around area with lots of constructions. We always take our car to Les Schwab's tire center and they patch them for free. Ever since our first free patch at Les Schwab's over 3 years ago, we had been taking our cars to change tires there as well.

Had a screw in my tire about a week into owning my car. Tried calling roadside, but they wouldnt come out for 2 days.

Tire held pressure enough to get to a Les Schwab, they plugged it for free vs $300~500 that tesla would have charged.

I got a nail in my tire at about 1K miles. I was able to fill it up and drive to the repair place and they told me they didn't fix tire and only would replace it. Total cost was $380 out the door.(Santa Barbara, CA) I have them give me the old tire and will have a tire shop repair it so it can be used in the future.

Reactions: MY-user
I had a screw stuck in my Goodyear tire. Costco would not work on the car because there is foam inside the tire. The Tesla Service Center wanted $86. I decided to take my car to Tire Merchants in San Jose, CA and they fixed it for $25. They fixed it the right way too. That is, take off the tire to put a patch on the inside of the tire in addition to plugging the hole. Fortunately, they did not have to cut and reglue the foam layer adhering to the inside of the tire. They just lifted the foam enough to rough up the area to apply the patch.