Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Horrible experience with my flat tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got done dealing with a flat I got while on a road trip in Norcal.

TL/DR: If you have a flat, consider saving yourself a giant headache and getting towed to a tire shop rather than going with Tesla
Think of all the money one might save if they'd learned to change a tire or fix a flat themselves, something even women can figure out. I've always carried a plug kit in my cars, along with a small air compressor, though I've only used them once, and it allows me to insert a plug while the tire and wheel remain on the car. It is rare that a tire will get a puncture off the tread, and a plug will fix tread puncture leaks easily.

I have never been towed or flat-bedded anywhere. I can fix a flat while leaving the tire and wheel in place, with the added benefit of not having to wait for the tow truck to arrive and repair the flat. True, flats are rare, but nearly all can be fixed with the tire in place using only a plug kit and a small compressor which fit in the well out of sight.

Save yourself a giant headache and a bunch of time and money by learning how to fix a flat yourself. Even my daughter learned how to do this.

Reactions: Yelobird and CaseyL
I had mentioned previously I've never had a tire blow out and have never been towed - both streaks have ended! Rented a Cadillac CTS from Hertz out of LaGuardia two weeks ago and drove up in the Catskills. Took my wife, sister, and brother in law for a ride and BOOM! Left front tire blew and had to towed - run flats with no spare and no low tire pressure indication at all. No plugging that mess. Found out all 4 tires were bad and had to be replaced. Good times :). Hopefully I'll have another 44 years of driving before I have another.....

Tesla Service does not repair tires. In some areas Tesla can arrange to loan you a wheel and tire for a few days until you can have your damaged tire repaired or replaced.

Tesla Roadside Assistance can be reached by phone. Roadside Assistance will contact a contracted vehicle towing service for your area. The tow service may have a loaner wheel and tire but can't be expected to have every size wheel and tire combination for the full lineup of Tesla vehicles.

You have to balance the cost of carrying a spare wheel and tire with the inconvenience of your travel plans being interrupted until a suitable replacement tire can be found.

At a minimum when taking a trip away from your home location bring a 12V tire inflation air pump and a tire plug kit. Consider purchasing the Modern Spare kit for your Tesla Vehicle.
Thanks I will consider the modern spare - and the tire jack pods - I also have aaa and they could remedy a flat -