Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flat Tire & Roadside Experience and Tesla Service.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla must now find a reasonable solution, since continuing to be subject to the dangerous situation of driving a vehicle without a reliable way of dealing with a flat tire is unacceptable

Somehow, I don't think Tesla is going to make major changes to the way they do business just because you tell them they "must."

I agree with you that the current practice is far below what I would expect as a customer. That's one reason why I'm not a customer of theirs. But other than an empty apology, I don't see what you think Tesla is going to actually do for you.

Ultimately, aside from making some noise here on the forums, your real options are to either sell the car or put up with what Tesla does (while using work-arounds like having AAA, carrying around a pump/repair kit, or just accepting that this is a car that might strand you from time to time).

Reactions: afadeev
I keep an air compressor ($20-$30 available at Walmart or any autoparts store) i

While I don't have a M3 yet (soon... maybe this week) I picked up one of these for my Focus RS Oasser Air Compressor Portable Mini Air Inflator Hand Held Tire Pump 2000mAh with Digital LCD LED Light 12V AC DC Lithium Battery 120PSI 20Litres/Min for Car Bicycle Tires and Other Inflatables P1S because it too doesn't come with a spare. I could't be more happy with it. It's really convenient to be able to easily check tire pressure and dial in in exactly. Doubles as a light, too.

Combine that w/ a plug kit, and some slime and toss in a one or of these to make raising the vehicle up easier ( Rocky Large Slotted Universal Magnetic Jack Pad Pinch Weld Frame Rail Adapter ) and I've been prepared.

Note that whomever mentioned that all the road service systems are contracted out - here in Texas even the AAA seems to be a contracted-subset-or-somesuch of the AAA. We had what I consider "normal" AAA back in Ohio. But in Texas, when we called them for roadside with my wife's car a few months ago, we were told to call some other AAA system. Which has their own app even.

Roadside assistance is a third party waiting game at best.
AAA, Mercedes, Infinity, Lexus, Tesla, etc. all rely on. A network of third parties
With one thing in Common. The wait....

This is only partly true.
There are different levels of 3rd party towing service contracts, and a given OEM can choose to pony up for the highest reimbursement rate (that gets max coverage and shortest response rate), the lowest (expect 4+ hours of wait, or no response at all in some areas), or something in the middle.

AAA Premier provides the maximum towing reimbursement, and thus attracts maximum coverage.
They can also tow your car to any mechanic or tire shop of your choosing.

That is a big advantage over most OEM-specific programs, including Tesla's, that only tow to that OEM's service center (SC). Tesla's SC location may or may not be open, and may or may not have your size tires in stock. If they have them, Tesla SC, like that of every other OEM, will also overcharge you for the tires.

My past good experience with Tesla led me to recommend the car to three friends who each purchased model 3s. I wouldn't recommend the brand again now.

Sadly, I now have to agree with the above comment.
I used to recommend Tesla's to others, until I got exposed to their (dis-)service culture. Now, I just can't.

Still love the cars, will keep mine indefinitely, and will put up with (and do my best to avoid) their service.
But there is no way I would expose someone I care about to Tesla's service. I can and do recommend other EVs, though.

A couple of comments:
1) Most EVs don't have spares, it isn't just Tesla (for example, Nissan Leaf has no spare)
2) I have had Premier AAA for years. Their service has deteriorated a lot in the last 5 years. They use 3rd parties as well. My last two calls to AAA have taken: 1 hour (only because California Highway Patrol officer called and said it was an injury accident. He told me that raises to priority of the call). 2nd call took 2.5 hours. Premier gets you 100 miles of towing instead of 6 miles, it doesn't raise your priority.
3) I think it is crazy not to have an compressor and the sticky junk and/or flat repair kit in your car. My only warning is that the Tesla 12 volt socket it pretty picky about how much power you draw. Many of the 12v compressors you find on Amazon exceed the rating.

Sadly, I now have to agree with the above comment.
I used to recommend Tesla's to others, until I got exposed to their (dis-)service culture. Now, I just can't.

Still love the cars, will keep mine indefinitely, and will put up with (and do my best to avoid) their service.
But there is no way I would expose someone I care about to Tesla's service. I can and do recommend other EVs, though.
Yep, Tesla service is next to non-existent
Earlier this year they gutted anything to do with customer service to improve profitability, because so much money has been wasted in the past. Talk of hiring spree now. Maybe they were on the brink of bankruptcy

I hit a pothole with my 3 week old M3 and tore the sidewall. Contacted service using the car app. Agent was great. She checked and told me they did not have a loaner wheel and dispatched a wrecker, but would be about an hour. A little more than an hour later the flatbed truck took my car to the service center. Car was ready the following day. The low profile tires are vulnerable to pothole damage. No complaint on service.